First time going out to eat since starting myfitnesspal

Options
I'm going out to eat with my boyfriend tonight and I'm scared I'm going to eat a ton of calories! I'm having seafood but the restuarant doesn't have an online menu and it's a small family owned place....what should I order to make sure I stay withing limits as I'm not used to portion control yet? Thanks!

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I like grilled shrimps. They are low-cal. And a side o' veggies?
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Seafood is usually very healthy and low-cal. I would recommend asking about how they cook it when you order, or request that it is steamed or baked (without butter and extra high-calorie cooking additives).
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    When going out to eat avoid sauces. I also tell them no added salt.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    crab legs or lobster are also good choices.. any seafood that is baked, grilled or steamed :) If you do go for the shellfish NO BUTTER!! If it's cooked right you don't need it :)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Don't go for fried, "crispy" or "tempura" :P
  • FitMama1982
    FitMama1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stick with grilled or broiled. If your order is covered in some type of cheese or sauce ask for it on the side and dip yourself. Also try to stay away from the bread bowl they may put out on the table. Lastly if you plan on having a drink or dessert pick one and not both. Alcohol are empty calories anyway. I usually go for the dessert when I go out or have a cheat since I love my sweets. :) Good luck
  • EmiliaWhite
    Options
    Some general thoughts:

Stay away from sauces - a lot of seafood places will take a healthy piece of fish and pour 400 calories of butter sauce over it.

Watch out if they have bread on the table to snack on - you can easily tack on 300+ calories to your meal without realizing it just from mindlessly munching on a roll or a couple pieces of bread.

Pay attention to how the fish is cooked - baking, broiling, and poaching are all your friends. Frying is definitely not.

Hope this helps! :)
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    avoid sauces, they often pile them full of cream and butter. tomato based are much better, Grilled is good. And don't be afraid to leave stuff on your plate! if the portion looks big cut off a smaller portion at the start so you can see when to stop! Enjoy the food you do eat instead of thinking about what you don't. and drink plenty of water
    have a lovely evening...it's all about the company.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You could start with salad and a big glass of water. Then you have already had half of your meal by the time you entree gets to you. :)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I agree, stay away from fried, or trigger foods that normally would make you eat way too much. Eat slowly, I think you will find that being calorie conscious with MFP will actually pay off for you tonight! I generally share dessert with my boyfriend. Best of luck tonight! May the MFP force be with you!! :bigsmile:
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about portion control then I suggest getting a to-go box soon after you start eating and pack half of it up. If it's not sitting in front of you then you're less likely to over eat. As, for what foods to eat, as stated above, stick to leaner meats, no fried foods, and no sauces. If you're really freaked out about it then do an extra workout today to make up for the calories.Most importantly, HAVE FUN:happy: , it's one meal not the end of the world.
  • thoughtbubble
    thoughtbubble Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies!
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    Keeping with what everyone else is saying, no snacking on the bread or limiting yourself to a piece, and pushing the rest of the basket away. No alcohol. Grilled shrimp is always good. Salad with dressing on the side, no croutons or cheese. Ask for suggestions! A lot of servers know the menu well, and explain you're watching what you're eating. Avoid most salads that are offered as an entree, because those are usually the worst.

Don't keep yourself from getting something you want. If you get a baked potato, split it in half and take the other half with you home or take it home and throw it away, half portions of rice, or what have you.
  • Greg127
    Greg127 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Soooooo, How did you make out last night? Tell us please. :smile: