Cooking Challenge: Pumpkin

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the fiftieth round of the cooking challenge! This challenge comes to us from evelyngrice winner of the pine nuts cooking challenge.

pumpkin.jpg

This week's challenge is PUMPKIN.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday October 8th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• ElyzahMoore
    ElyzahMoore Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting (from Skinnytaste.com)
    INGREDIENTS:

Cupcakes:
    * 18.25 oz Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla Super Moist Cake Mix
    * 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    * 1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
    * 1 cup water

Frosting:
    * 8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese (do not use fat free)
    * 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract
    * 1 tsp cinnamon
    * 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    * 5 tbsp packed brown sugar

DIRECTIONS:

Cupcakes: Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Frosting: Combine ingredients and blend until smooth.

CALORIES PER SERVING: Cupcake (unfrosted): 84 calories; Cupcake (frosted): 121 calories
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 24
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It was delicious! It wasn't overly sweet and the cream cheese frosting was a nice touch. Even my toddler loved them!
    PICTURE (optional): I'll add a photo later. I didn't have good enough light to snap a photo.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share your recipes!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share your recipes!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    There has to be more pumpkin recipes out there! Unfortunately I won't be sharing one this week D:
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal Pecan Cookies
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 16 • Serving Size: 2 cookies • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 165.2 • Fat: 6.3 g • Protein: 3.3 g • Carb: 26.3 g • Fiber: 1.6 g • Sugar: 13 g
    Sodium: 149.4 mg

Ingredients:
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 cups quick oats
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
    1 large egg
    6 tbsp canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper or use a silpat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice and cinnamon. In a large bowl, with a mixer, cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed.

Add the egg, followed by the pumpkin and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the pecans.

Drop 1 tablespoon of the dough at a time onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges.

Cool on baking sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 32 cookies, 1 tbsp each.

Picture can be found here: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/pumpkin-spiced-oatmeal-pecan-cookies.html
  • hannahro
    hannahro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Overnight Pumpkin Oats from (http://picnicsandpantries.blogspot.com/2011/10/falling-in-love.html)

INGREDIENTS:
    - 1/4 c. rolled oats
    - 1.5 c. water
    - 1/3 c. canned pumpkin
    - 1 tsp. cinnamon
    - 1 tsp. vanilla
    - 1 tsp. your choice of sweetener (white or brown sugar, agave, stevia) *optional depending on your sweet tooth in the mornings
    - 1/3 c. egg whites

toppings:
    2 tbsp. greek yogurt
    1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
    1 tsp. nut butter
    1 tsp. shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS:
    #1.) bring your oats and water to a boil in a sauce pan. keep on high heat, and let boil for 5 minutes. transfer to bowl, cover, and store in fridge over night.
    #2.) take your voluminous oats oat of the fridge, transfer back to sauce pan and reheat on medium temperature. stir in pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar, letting it reheat until it bubbles.
    #3.) lower the heat and slowly add the egg whites, mixing continuously. stir until the mixture thickens, 2-3 minutes.
    #4.) transfer to bowl and top with your favorite goodies!

CALORIES PER SERVING: 270 (19 g protein!)

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 1

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: tastes like pumpkin pie and keeps you full until lunch!

PICTURE (optional): picture at http://picnicsandpantries.blogspot.com/2011/10/falling-in-love.html
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I feel like the recipe board has been overrun in the past few weeks with pumpkin recipes. So no recipe from me, sorry.
  • janeeny
    janeeny Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I've been out of town and really busy. This challenge will close tomorrow (Monday) at 5PM PST and the next challenge will go up as well! That gives you more time to enter!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Late again! But the voting is up!
    http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

The voting will end Wednesday 10/12 at 5PM PST.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Vote before tonight!
  • hcn74
    hcn74 Posts: 214
    Options
    I've always made this with butternut squash, but here's a savory dish that can use pumpkin, too. It's so good. Having it for lunch today!

Spicy Squash with Lentils and Goat Cheese
    Adapted from smittenkitchen.com
    4 Servings
    3/4 cup black or green lentils
    6 cups peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash (1-inch cubes) (from about a 2-pound squash) – CAN USE SUGAR PUMPKIN HERE INSTEAD OF SQUASH
    2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika*
    1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 cup soft crumbled goat cheese
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus additional to taste
    Roasted seeds (about 1/2 cup) from your butternut squash (optional)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash or pumpkin cubes with 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, paprika and salt. Arrange in a single layer on baking sheet and roast 20 minutes. Flip pieces and roast for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Cool.

Cook lentils according to package direction to desired tenderness. Rinse with cold water, then drain and cool.

Combine lentils, squash, half of goat cheese and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and extra vinegar, if desired. Divide among plates and pass with remaining goat cheese to sprinkle.

*I couldn’t find hot smoked Spanish paprika (even at Penzey’s!), so I added a dash of cayenne.

Tastes delicious cold the next day.

Nutritional information per serving
    Calories: 320; Carbs: 48; Fat: 15; Protein: 14; Sodium: 877; Calcium: 15
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    Can I submit mine tomorrow? I'll be making it for lunch and I can even post a picture afterwards :)
  • doinit4tayzie
    Options
    I dont like to give out my recipes....buttttttt here is a recipes for A pumpkin soup I made last night for dinner. I didnt add the sugar or the onion tho. It was tasty.....

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32396/Creamy-Pumpkin-Soup/detail.aspx
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    ElyzahMoore has won this competition with the Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting!
    Yummm...

Now go enter the current cooking challenge, beverages! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/364774-cooking-challenge-beverages?page=1#posts-4975845