Why can't I lose weight like everyone else?

Options
I’m 5’2 and 220lbs. For the past 5 years I have lost a total of 28 pounds, way too slow for my liking. Starting in January of this year I started counting my calories, I calculated every morsel of food I ate, and noticed I was way under the minimum 1200 calories, and was only eating about 900 calories max on most days, so I figured maybe that was the problem as to why my weight loss was so slow, and I had stopped losing.

Around April, I started upping my calories to around 1,200, started doing Jillian Michaels “Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism” workout, and some “old school” Gilad step aerobics, sometimes treadmill, and elliptical as well. I was working out for an 1 hour, to 1-1/2 hours, for 5 to 6 days a week, and I finally had started dropping pounds again, and actually lost 10 pounds by July. Then my weight loss came to a screeching halt again. From July till present, I have tried to increase my calories, and change up my workouts, but every time I increase my calories to around 1,400 I gain a couple of pounds. I then go back to 1,200, keep working out vigorously and only lose what I gained, but no more than that.

I’m so frustrated, because I see how all of you lose pounds steadily, and at a relatively quick pace, and that’s what I want to do, but I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong, or what to try doing next. Right now I’m switching my workouts, doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, and 20 minutes of step aerobics, and then some Wii “Golds Gym Dance Workout”, for at total of 1hr, to 1 ½ hours, for at least 5 days a week. I’m worried that maybe my metabolism is shot, and that maybe I ruined it unknowingly from having been under my calorie level for so long. I just don’t know why else weight loss is so slow for me. I’m averaging 1 lbs loss for every month! I also got my thyroid checked, and there were no issues there. I would really love to lose at least 5 lbs in a month, that would make me happy! Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong, and what to try next? Should I keep upping my calories despite the fact I will gain weight? And if so, then how in the world do I lose weight again?

Replies

• janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am now going to look at how many calories I am taking in because I sure get enough exercise.
  • jridgway49
    Options
    bump....you are not alone I'm going thru the same thing
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am trying something called Intermittent Fasting at the moment and having really good results, there is tonnes of info on the net - try leangains.com. Might be worth a shot for you to get your weight loss happening abit faster :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calories (at least 1200) and fewer carbs. Some peoples' bodies respond better to that-- especially people with stubborn weight loss. Couldn't hurt!
  • Keebler125
    Options
    you are SOOOO not alone.
    it doesnt make a difference hwo much i workout, i just cant keep my weight off. this is so frustrating
    i hear ya!
    dont give up though
    i am hoping it DOES pay off ..... eventually
    hang in there with me.
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Have you consider checking your measurements as opposed to your actual weight?
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Eat more! Don't freak out that you will keep gaining weight. You might initially, but then it will start to fall off... much faster.
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Diet is just as important as exercise-- and to get the best and most accurate advice, make your food and exercise diary public! You can do this by going to "Settings" at the top of the screen, and then "Diary Settings."

Once you do this, MFP-ers can look at your food/exercise plan and be able to give you more accurate responses!

Also, I too have an INCREDIBLY difficult time losing any pounds. Fewer calories, more calories, more exercise, no exercise-- I always stay the same weight :[
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've been going throught the same thing! I totally get it! I wish someoen would tell me what i'm doing wrong! Are you drinking a lot of water?? If you find something that works let me know! And vice versa!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories so you're never below 1200, even after working out. and make sure to log everything, there are often errors in the data so you may want to double check things. Make sure you're eating healthy stuff too, if you eat 1200 calories of garbage your body could still be in shock due to lack of proper nutrition. if you keep working out and float around 1200 healthy calories and still don't lose you may want to go to a Dr. there could be something else going on thats stopping you from losing.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are so discouraged...Be patient and keep up the calorie counting and exercise! Exercise is key!!! 5 pounds a month sounds reasonable so I would continue to do what you are doing. Make sure that what you are eating is healthy. If you are eating junk food and still staying under your calorie count, that won't do you any good. You have to be eating healthy food and snacks. Also, do you drink a lot of water? That is key in flushing your system. I make sure that I eat a satisfying breakfast to keep me full longer and that way I don't snack as much. Each person is different so you may need to snack more than I do. Are you eating back your exercise calories? There is much debate on whether people should or should not. I make it a point not to since I am currently trying to lose weight. (5'4 CW 147 SW 170, I started Aug 1st). Once I hit my goal weight, I will then start eating back my exercise calories since I will then be maintaining my desired weight, not trying to lose. Of course people have different thoughts on this, but that is mine :)
    Remember that this is a lifetime journey; you didn't gain all that weight over-night so you won't lose it over-night (wouldn't that be nice though haha)..
    Just continue your good work and exercise and keep up your determination; you can do it!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    What are your NET calories? If you are eating 1200 calories and working out for 2 hours per day (probably burning 600 - 1200), your NET calories are 0-600. Just like a car can't run on empty, either can your body. Your body can't function on that low of a caloric intake so it holds on to everything because it doesn't know when the next food supply (enough to ACTUALLY FUEL the body) is coming. If you haven't read the following threads, save yourself some further frustration and do so now. You'll be glad you do.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8199-off-to-a-slow-start-actually-still-at-starting-gate

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6737-true-confessions-from-a-slow-learner
  • Emily_34
    Emily_34 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked by your doctor. I had a problem with mine and wasn't able to lose weight.
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!! The more I eat, the more I lose. You are working out A LOT. So your NET calories is what's too low.

Honestly, my larger losses are after weekends where I eat quite a bit; either at or a little around net of 1400 after exercise.

Your body is used to the low calories, high activity, so it reserves what you give it. Try eatting maintanence calories on the weekend. It has helped me. I've lost 53 lbs in a little over 4 months.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When you severely restrict your caloric intake for a long time, your body adjusts to having so little food. When you try and raise your calories, you will see a small weight gain while your body adjusts to the new amount of food that it is getting. Once it adjusts, you should start to see a loss again (most people see a small gain and then turn around and start seeing a loss within a few days). I can tell you from my own personal experience that sometimes 1200 calories simply isn't enough food. If you aren't giving your body enough food - it won't lose weight or it'll lose it VERY slowly because it is terrified it isn't going to get the nutrients it needs to perform basic functions. Once you begin giving it more food? It will realize it's going to get enough food and it'll be comfortable enough to lose weight.

For me: I know that I NEED 2200-2500 NET calories a day. I currently weigh 145lbs and am maintaining with those numbers. So, don't be afraid to try something new if what you're doing isn't working.

Good Luck and don't give up! You can do this! It takes time and patience to figure out what YOUR body wants. Weight loss isn't a one size fits all kind of thing - we all need things just a little bit different in order to lose.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Momof3G8kids, the healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week. 4 to 8 pounds a month. Please don't focus on scale weight. It can't determine what size clothes you wear or even if you look big or small.

Try eating up to 1500 calories a day. Don't go below 1200 calories. Drink plenty of water. Eat healthy. Try to follow the food pyramid and don't deprive yourself of anything. I don't diet. I don't believe in diets or even depriving myself of anything. I believe in working anything that I want to eat into my daily calories. Mini size comes in handy. Say you like eating M&Ms and your daily calories is 1500. Well, you can incorporate a mini size bag into your daily calorie. 1 mini size bag of M&M only have 90 calories and 45 calories from fat. If you have one bag, you still have room to eat 1410 of other healthy foods.

I know you said you are doing Jillian workouts. I have her workouts too. If I can suggest workouts, can I suggest you try a few of my number one workout workouts. I love Tae Bo. You can incorporate the workouts in with your other daily workouts. I don't know how many rest days you take a week. I aim for 1 to 2 days. I will be doing a 30 Day Tae Bo program that I have created starting October 3, if the Lord says the same. I will be only working out Monday- Friday. Saturday and Sunday will be rest days.

What I like about Billy's workout. He just don't focus on cardio, he focus on strength as well.

You can view these workouts on youtube and buy them at Walmart, Target, Barnes and Nobles or even Amazon.

1. Billy's Bootcamp Cardio Inferno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdVkjFvfdu0

2. Billy's Bootcamp Cardio Sculpt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTM2X2CPlOc&feature=related

3. Billy Blanks Tae Bo Insane Abs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEYmBB8OBE&feature=related

These are some of Billy's latest workouts. I think they can help you see results. You will definitely notice your clothes getting smaller.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Diet is a major part of weightloss. Try to eat as few packaged and processed foods as possible and fill up on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins etc. I used to think I was eating healthy and I totally changed my diet around. Over the past month sin I really changed my eating habits I've lost about ten lbs.
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    I went back to my MFP summary, and I looked at one day that pretty much is what's consistent for me...on that day I ate 1,226 calories, I exercised 740 of them off, which then gave me a net of 486. This is what my days look like, for the most part, just varying by a few calories, or exercise min. There are a few things I could try like one of you mentioned, I can drink more water..I'm never getting enough it seems like. I did check my thyroid, so that's not an issue. I haven't taken measurements, but my pants aren't exactly looser either. I've also thought of Intermittent fasting, and seeing what that does, but I am kind of scared since my metabolism seems kind of shot as it is.

I think I'll try doing what a few of you suggested which is to up my calories again, despite the fact of seeing my weight go up,(which I know is going to kill me):sad: and then see if somehow after a week or so I start to see some results. Any more suggestions?
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    To AZackery:

Thanks, I will try these!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this obsession with 1200 calories. It's not a magic number that every woman on earth should be at to lose weight. If you're around 200 lbs you need to eat a lot more than 1200 cals to maintain your weight. Start eating at your maintenance level to restore your metabolism to the proper level. Take your maintenance level, subtract 500 from it, and eat that much every day except on one day of the week where you eat at/slightly above maintenance to keep your metabolism high.

The best thing about this is that you don't need to exercise. In fact, it's probably hurting you because you're exercising too much. Go lift some heavy weights and get stronger.