should you exercise when ill?

Options
i have a cold/flu thing at the moment and have very little energy at all but I feel bad for not exercising. should i push myself and just do it anyway?

Replies

• Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think your body needs to use all of it's energy to heal at least for a few days. If it's just the flu or a cold give yourself 2-3 days before really hitting the gym again. If you don't, it could prolong your illness.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    For the sake of other people at the gym who will be using the same equipment as you, NO!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Been really sick the past few days and super weak but feel guilty for not working out. Just don't have the strength though so its out of my control. Hope you feel better soon!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone else. If you think you can do it and not collapse at the end of it the go. But a few rest days are not going to hurt you. In fact you are better to give yourself time to recover.

I was recently sick (along with my kids) it took over a week before I was able to do simple exercise, and let me tell you I felt exhausted when I did it (but at the same time I was so happy I did). I was however glad I gave myself that time to recover otherwise I would have been sicker for longer.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The body needs all the energy to heal itself. If you use that energy during a workout, your body cannot repair itself as well as it could and, as a result, you will be ill longer.
    Also, if you go to the gym, the air con will spread the germs to others and thats not good for them.

Give yourself a few days rest and see how you feel.

jferg
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.
    1) you want your body to recover asap. you could make the illness last longer by not allowing your body to recover.
    2) as others stated, you can get people around you sick @ the gym. don't!