Replies

• dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rensker
    rensker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I never knew making your own yogurt was so easy, or even possible. It's a really cool thing to do and I eat a LOT of yogurt.
    I just made some yesterday (just had some now - was amazing), I did a bunch of research on it the last few days trying to find different ways of keeping it warm (I don't have an electric blanket). Since it was a trial I only made about a litre, 2 heaping tablespoons of some organic plain yogurt I found at the grocery store and 2 tablespoons of dry milk powder (I like thick yogurt), incubated for 7 hrs. As for keeping it warm, that was the really tricky part. I didn't want to keep my stove or oven on for 8 hrs and yogurt makers are extremely hard to get in Canada, as shipping is more expensive that the actual machine. I ended up wrapping a bit pot of water in blankets and every 1 1/2 to 2hrs changing the water. Wasn't too bad, kept the temp between 100-110 F. Just sucks if you can't leave it alone for longer than 2hrs.

Thanks again! Definitely going to be one of my projects from now on.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    awesome! My kids will break my checkbook on yogurt! Next weekend I will try this for sure... now, just got to figure out how to make it strawberry flavored for them! That's the only flavor they will eat! LOL
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I never knew making your own yogurt was so easy, or even possible. It's a really cool thing to do and I eat a LOT of yogurt.
    I just made some yesterday (just had some now - was amazing), I did a bunch of research on it the last few days trying to find different ways of keeping it warm (I don't have an electric blanket). Since it was a trial I only made about a litre, 2 heaping tablespoons of some organic plain yogurt I found at the grocery store and 2 tablespoons of dry milk powder (I like thick yogurt), incubated for 7 hrs. As for keeping it warm, that was the really tricky part. I didn't want to keep my stove or oven on for 8 hrs and yogurt makers are extremely hard to get in Canada, as shipping is more expensive that the actual machine. I ended up wrapping a bit pot of water in blankets and every 1 1/2 to 2hrs changing the water. Wasn't too bad, kept the temp between 100-110 F. Just sucks if you can't leave it alone for longer than 2hrs.

You can put them into a cooler, then add other jars full of almost-boiling water as heat sources. You'll need to change them out a few times, but not nearly as often as every couple hours.
  • WalkTheTalk
    Options
    Bump! This sounds incredible! I have just recently started eating plain yogurt, doctored up with fresh fruit and stevia. It is so much better than the already-flavored yogurts. I am going to give this a try. I am paying more than $5 for a small container of plain greek yogurt. This will save me a ton of money! Thank you, thank you!
  • WalkTheTalk
    Options
    How do you calculate the nutritional value? Would it be the same as whatever type of milk you are using?
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    How do you calculate the nutritional value? Would it be the same as whatever type of milk you are using?

OHHH good question!!!
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options
    It will be slightly less than the calories in the milk, some of the calories will be used up by the biology of the bacteria. But the carbs go down and the protein goes up as the lactose is converted to bacterial biomass which is protein. If you leave it to convert completely, almost all the carbs will be converted to protein and lactic acid (which has no calories).

I don't stress about getting it perfect, I just use the caloric value of a quality commercial yogurt with the same fat level as the milk I used.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    How do you flavor it? The kids like strawberry but not the chunks...
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options
    How do you flavor it? The kids like strawberry but not the chunks...
    I use canned peaches and grind them up the blender, then put a couple of tablespoons at the bottom of the jar. You could use frozen strawberries and grind them up as fine as necessary for the kids to eat them.

ETA: Oh, you can also just add some jam at serving for the kids...
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can find this again. I've been thinking about getting a yogurt maker for a while. I'm a bit addicted to the Chobani Greek style for breakfast. Thanks, this recipie sounds great!
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I used to just heat my oven a little bit then turn it off and leave the pilot light on overnight. But now I use my slow cooker and just wrap it in a towel (leave it off) and let that sit for 6-8 hours and that turns out great. I get super super thick yogurt and don't have to touch it at all until it's done.
  • WalkTheTalk
    Options
    How long do you heat your slowcooker for? Then, do you turn it off and wrap the slowcooker up in a towel, or your container(s) of yogurt? :-)
  • WalkTheTalk
    Options
    One last question ... do you all use a thermometer to get exact temperature of water and milk and such???
  • BrewerGeorge
    Options
    One last question ... do you all use a thermometer to get exact temperature of water and milk and such???
    Yes, definitely.