Why can't I lose weight like everyone else?

Options

Replies

• momof3G8kids
    Options
    Diet is a major part of weightloss. Try to eat as few packaged and processed foods as possible and fill up on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins etc. I used to think I was eating healthy and I totally changed my diet around. Over the past month sin I really changed my eating habits I've lost about ten lbs.

I think I'm eating pretty healthy, I usually eat multi-grain cheerios for breakfast, with skim milk, some fruit. For lunch I have some whole grain bagel slims, with some Boars head low sodium cold cuts, and lowfat cheese, if any. Or I might have a salad. For a snack, usually some yoplait yogurt, and blueberries, or another type of fruit. For dinner I will have some whole grain rice, chicken, and veggies. So I think I'm eating healthy?
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    I don't understand this obsession with 1200 calories. It's not a magic number that every woman on earth should be at to lose weight. If you're around 200 lbs you need to eat a lot more than 1200 cals to maintain your weight. Start eating at your maintenance level to restore your metabolism to the proper level. Take your maintenance level, subtract 500 from it, and eat that much every day except on one day of the week where you eat at/slightly above maintenance to keep your metabolism high.

The best thing about this is that you don't need to exercise. In fact, it's probably hurting you because you're exercising too much. Go lift some heavy weights and get stronger.

I agree, I think I'm eating too little for as much as I weigh and how much exercise I'm doing. I think the "obsession" with the 1200 calories comes in, is with the 1200 calories being the minimum number of calories a person can stay at without sending your body into starvation mode. So since everyone says, you want to burn more calories than what you consume, some people like me assume that the idea is to eat as few calories as you can and workout even more, but in the long run I think it's backfiring!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Diet is a major part of weightloss. Try to eat as few packaged and processed foods as possible and fill up on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins etc. I used to think I was eating healthy and I totally changed my diet around. Over the past month sin I really changed my eating habits I've lost about ten lbs.

I think I'm eating pretty healthy, I usually eat multi-grain cheerios for breakfast, with skim milk, some fruit. For lunch I have some whole grain bagel slims, with some Boars head low sodium cold cuts, and lowfat cheese, if any. Or I might have a salad. For a snack, usually some yoplait yogurt, and blueberries, or another type of fruit. For dinner I will have some whole grain rice, chicken, and veggies. So I think I'm eating healthy?
    sounds decent except the bagel, cold cuts and cheese which are useless. Personally I stay away from dairy- it does nothing for me. Also add more healthy snacks as well.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this obsession with 1200 calories. It's not a magic number that every woman on earth should be at to lose weight. If you're around 200 lbs you need to eat a lot more than 1200 cals to maintain your weight. Start eating at your maintenance level to restore your metabolism to the proper level. Take your maintenance level, subtract 500 from it, and eat that much every day except on one day of the week where you eat at/slightly above maintenance to keep your metabolism high.

The best thing about this is that you don't need to exercise. In fact, it's probably hurting you because you're exercising too much. Go lift some heavy weights and get stronger.

I will speak for myself. I have used 1200 to show that a person (woman/man) shouldn't eat below 1200 calories a day period.

As for exercise, weight training is exercise and no one should only do weight training. Cardio is good for the body.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You might have some form of insulin resistance. Cut down on wheat for a week (like the cereal - have eggs instead; and the bagels, just skip it and replace with veggies and protein) and cut down on any refined non natural sugars for a week and see what happens. Good luck!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I agree, I think I'm eating too little for as much as I weigh and how much exercise I'm doing. I think the "obsession" with the 1200 calories comes in, is with the 1200 calories being the minimum number of calories a person can stay at without sending your body into starvation mode. So since everyone says, you want to burn more calories than what you consume, some people like me assume that the idea is to eat as few calories as you can and workout even more, but in the long run I think it's backfiring!
    In weight loss, I do think slow and steady wins the race. Eating healthy is not a race, it's a lifestyle change.
    I'm not sure how much you weigh right now but if it's around 200, you can safely lose 2 lbs a week but that will have to slow down eventually.
    Don't forget to eat at/slightly above maintenance once a week to maintain your metabolism. Make it a planned cheat day where you can reward yourself.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've also thought of Intermittent fasting, and seeing what that does, but I am kind of scared since my metabolism seems kind of shot as it is.

I think I'll try doing what a few of you suggested which is to up my calories again, despite the fact of seeing my weight go up,(which I know is going to kill me):sad: and then see if somehow after a week or so I start to see some results. Any more suggestions?

Promise yourself you won't weigh for 2 weeks. Try to remember too that your body can fluctuate a few lbs a day, so a 1-5 lb gain in any given day isn't fat (to gain 5 lbs, you would have had to consume 17,500 NET calories).

The ONLY way to fix your metabolism is to EAT. Give it the food it needs to survive. I wasn't losing at 1200 calories, and found the article below about setting your goals. It's done wonders!

I suggest, READ THIS, then do what it says:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

In a nutshell, it says:

1200 calories is a generic number. It's not right for everyone. It's a baseline minimum given out as a floor by MFP based on prior research by the medical community. NOT everyone will need a minimum of 1200, very small people can go under, and bigger people need more.

Figuring out your perfect deficit isn't magic, it's a few simple formula's base on some basic, worldwide standards, and generally with slight modefication, will work for just about anyone who (besides weight) is generally healthy.

Here's what you need:
    Height, weight, age, activity level, sex

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds.

If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary,

If you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active.

If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active.

If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball).

When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

NOW...

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
  • momof3G8kids
    Options

sounds decent except the bagel, cold cuts and cheese which are useless. Personally I stay away from dairy- it does nothing for me. Also add more healthy snacks as well.

I will try cutting the cold cuts our, I figured since their Boars Head brand that maybe their healthy, I figured if I eat chicken, and turkey for lunch, that I'm getting the protein that I need. You suggested cutting this out, but wouldn't it be the same if I eat salad and pieces of chicken in it, as opposed to a whole grain bagel, with chicken, or turkey cold cuts?
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    You might have some form of insulin resistance. Cut down on wheat for a week (like the cereal - have eggs instead; and the bagels, just skip it and replace with veggies and protein) and cut down on any refined non natural sugars for a week and see what happens. Good luck!

I'll try that, I did this when I went on a South Beach diet one time, and even though it was hard, I did lose some pounds. My only thing is when I start eating a lot of veggies, I feel like my calorie calculations are a little off for the day, since I'm not sure how to calculate them on the MFP, since it all varies.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I went back to my MFP summary, and I looked at one day that pretty much is what's consistent for me...on that day I ate 1,226 calories, I exercised 740 of them off, which then gave me a net of 486. This is what my days look like, for the most part, just varying by a few calories, or exercise min.

This is way too few cals. 1200 is the default NET target. If you are exercising off 740 calories a day, you should be eating approx 1940. Did you read the post in the newbie guide about starvation mode? You should. You will gain a few pounds while your metabolism resets itself, but this will come off. It is a small sacrifice for longer term healthy living. Do not think of the scale as a day to day or even week to week measure. Think of where you will be 6 months from now, not 6 days from now. Some nutritionists recommend only weighing once a month.
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    Okay, so for my "Cheat Day" I went to Panera Bread yesterday, and I ate lunch around 1:00p.m, and I ate a bowl of chilli, and half of a cuban panini, and topped it off with a lowfat mango smoothie. The rest of the day I was good, and because I was still full from lunch, I barely ate anything the rest of the day.

I wake up, and I couldn't resist weighing myself on the scale, only to find out I gained a whole 2 pounds. Now, I know we're supposed to have a "cheat day" for keeping us from going crazy, but when I try it, this is usually the end result... I gain weight!

Oh, and I didn't calculate my calories, but I'm sure between my cereal for breakfast, and just what I had for the lunch at Panera Bread, or the few things I ate after, that I didn't make it more than 1,400 cal.

Does this happen to anyone else? I hear that some of you actually lose weight after eating out one day?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale!

Long term weight is not put on or taken off in a day.
    Your weight also fluctuates throughout the day and with your monthly cycles.
    Do not weigh yourself more than once per week. The less frequent the better. The scale is only good to monitor long term trends, not day to day changes.
  • servilia
    Options
    Okay, so for my "Cheat Day" I went to Panera Bread yesterday, and I ate lunch around 1:00p.m, and I ate a bowl of chilli, and half of a cuban panini, and topped it off with a lowfat mango smoothie. The rest of the day I was good, and because I was still full from lunch, I barely ate anything the rest of the day.

I wake up, and I couldn't resist weighing myself on the scale, only to find out I gained a whole 2 pounds. Now, I know we're supposed to have a "cheat day" for keeping us from going crazy, but when I try it, this is usually the end result... I gain weight!

Oh, and I didn't calculate my calories, but I'm sure between my cereal for breakfast, and just what I had for the lunch at Panera Bread, or the few things I ate after, that I didn't make it more than 1,400 cal.

Does this happen to anyone else? I hear that some of you actually lose weight after eating out one day?

Most restaurant foods are full of sodium. It will cause you to retain water for a day or two.
    Is this what you had?
    Panera Bread - You Pick Two Half Cuban Chicken Panini & Half All Natural Steak Chili W/ Cornbread
    It has 1800mg of salt. So that could explain it.
  • servilia
    Options

I'll try that, I did this when I went on a South Beach diet one time, and even though it was hard, I did lose some pounds. My only thing is when I start eating a lot of veggies, I feel like my calorie calculations are a little off for the day, since I'm not sure how to calculate them on the MFP, since it all varies.

I usually look up a few sources and then pick the most reliable looking entry. But veggies are usually so low in cals it`s not a huge deal if it`s off by 10 cals here and there..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I went back to my MFP summary, and I looked at one day that pretty much is what's consistent for me...on that day I ate 1,226 calories, I exercised 740 of them off, which then gave me a net of 486. This is what my days look like, for the most part, just varying by a few calories, or exercise min. There are a few things I could try like one of you mentioned, I can drink more water..I'm never getting enough it seems like. I did check my thyroid, so that's not an issue. I haven't taken measurements, but my pants aren't exactly looser either. I've also thought of Intermittent fasting, and seeing what that does, but I am kind of scared since my metabolism seems kind of shot as it is.

I think I'll try doing what a few of you suggested which is to up my calories again, despite the fact of seeing my weight go up,(which I know is going to kill me):sad: and then see if somehow after a week or so I start to see some results. Any more suggestions?

you really need to try upping your cals, so you NET 1200.

also try adding some strength to your exercise routine (weights, squats, lunges, press ups, crunches etc) as this helps increase your meatbolism so you burn more cals at rest, and will give you a nice toned look as you shed bodyfat.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Are you adding back in your exercise calories and then eating those calories? If not, you probably are not eating enough to lose weight.
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I was having the same trouble - went to a Metabolic Center where they said I had an "overgrowth" of bacteria in my gastro track causing malabsorbtion - put me on a program that is very restrictive in phase 1; no dairy, no starchy products, no sugar,no caffeine, no black pepper, no beans, - all things that can be irritants to your gastro track - you can have unlimited veggies(no butter, margarine though - only small amounts of organic EVOO), 2 fruit servings a day for snacks, and unprocessed meats at all meals - also no eating after dinner (12 hrs of rest for your gastro track). Though it was really tough in the beginning, I got used to it and a lot of previous problems that I hadn't really payed attn to disappeared (bloating, gas, water retention, gastro stuff). My weight loss really took off (25 #'s the first 6 weeks) and now I'm in phase 2 where a few of the things have been added back - corn but no other starches, beans, 1 cup of coffee a day, a few other things, slowly will add other foods to determine what things are causing the irritation (I think it's dairy). Also, I agree with everyone else - do not be too restrictive with calories - it slows your metabolism down - Good luck - i know t's frustrating!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - that cheat meal was over 1000 calories, 2000 g of sodium, 58 grams of sugar and 124 carbs. The 2 lbs gain was probably just carb/sugar/sodium bloat. Drink LOTS of water and it should subside.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

I will try cutting the cold cuts our, I figured since their Boars Head brand that maybe their healthy, I figured if I eat chicken, and turkey for lunch, that I'm getting the protein that I need. You suggested cutting this out, but wouldn't it be the same if I eat salad and pieces of chicken in it, as opposed to a whole grain bagel, with chicken, or turkey cold cuts?

I have no idea what Boar's Head is.
    I've heard the bagel thins are a little lower in calories if you like the sandwhich thing. If you want meat, and have time one of the best things you can do is just buy some raw chicken, season it yourself (I prefer a simple black pepper and garlic rub) cook it how you like (I don't have an oven so I grill everything on the George Foreman grill. Slice that up and have it as a sandwhich. There's a lot of sodium in the cold cuts and it pretty much outweighs the protein you get. But making it homemade you get the protein, but not all of the additives and crap that comes from packaged food.

A salad is not the same as a bagel. Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist.
  • momof3G8kids
    Options
    Wow, never realized how much sodium, carbs, and sugar I consumed. I usually am concerned with the calories, but I'll have to try watching out for everything else also. I'll drink plenty of water today and see if it helps.