Fat for Breakfast?

Options
(im wanting to maintain my weight)

Is ok to have fat at breakfast? i dont like to go above 4 grams of fat. But i got a scone(270 calories,40 carbs,7 grams of fat 20 sugar) and i wanna have that with and large apple( 140calories,30 carbs,22 sugar) and 1 cup of skim milk so that TOTAL would be ....

490 calories

81 carbs

7 grams of fat

33 grams of sugar

Is it ok to have that much fat at breakfast? Also im not that active. And i dont eat like this everyday.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    fat is fine to eat any time. It's one of the 3 basic macronutrients your body needs to function.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary Fathead, the fat isn't the problem.....your body needs fat to function properly. So eat the scone and enjoy it!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary Fathead, the fat isn't the problem.....your body needs fat to function properly. So eat the scone and enjoy it!

I love Fathead. Cracks me up every time. Very entertaining!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    The only warning bell I got from your post was "not that active." Now is the time to start! ;)

Anyway, you also clearly say that you don't eat like this all the time. Once in a while it is a good idea to shake up your calorie amounts. It is also good to still enjoy treats every great once in a while. Go for it-- and enjoy!
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I eat bacon for breakfast all the time.

Fat is necessary and not horrible for you.

Eat the scone.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I have a chocolate peanut butter and banna sandwich for breakfast most mornings, I lost almost 4 pounds the last week eating it pretty much every day.

So um....profit?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon for breakfast all the time.

Fat is necessary and not horrible for you.

Eat the scone.

MMMMMM BACON!!! And not the turkey stuff either! I think my breakfast usually has around 10g of fat. Ya gots to have some fat in the diet!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I try to eat primarily protein and fat for breakfast. I feel like it keeps me full for a long time.
  • daryna13
    Options
    Your fat content looks perfectly fine, but the sugar seems to be somewhat high for one meal...Then again, natural sugars from fruits and milk usually don't count, but the scone may be a big high in sugar.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I try to eat primarily protein and fat for breakfast. I feel like it keeps me full for a long time.

If I eat breakfast, I do, too. And it definitely keeps me full longer.
  • Randynorthridge
    Options
    Here is a good read on Fats that might help:

What Are Healthy Fats to Eat?
    X Shelly McRaeShelly McRae is a freelance writer residing in Phoenix, Ariz. Having earned an associate degree from Glendale Community College with a major in graphic design and technical writing, she turned to online writing. McRae has written articles for multiple websites, drawing on her experience in the home improvement industry and hydroponic gardening.
    By Shelly McRae, eHow Contributor
    Print this articleRelated Searches:
    Healthy NutritionHealthy Relationship.Including certain fats in your diet can promote cardiovascular health, optimize brain and cellular function, and help protect your organs, bones and joints. Healthy fats are found in cooking oils, nuts and seeds, greens and fish. Certain fruits and vegetables, such as avocados, also contain fat, but in minute amounts.

Types
    There are two categories of fat: saturated and unsaturated. Saturated fats are not generally considered healthy fats because the body cannot easily convert them to useful energy. Saturated fats are found in foods such as butter, whole milk, red meat, chicken skin and cheese. It's not healthy to completely cut out these fats, though. The body requires a small amount of saturated fats for cellular function. Unsaturated fats include monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats are found in cooking oils, nuts and seeds, some fruits and vegetables, whole grains and dairy foods. The body can more readily use these fats because they do not "solidify" within the digestive or circulatory system as saturated fats do.

Omega Oils
    Omega 3 and omega 6 oils are polyunsaturated fats. These can be found in fish, leafy greens, flax seed oil and flax seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, certain nuts and whole grains. These oils promote brain function and cardiovascular health. Intake of omega 3 and omega 6 oils improves nutritional fluidity throughout the system, promoting improved cognitive functions. They also reduce inflammation and aid in reducing low-density lipids, otherwise known as bad cholesterol.

Polyunsaturated Fats
    Include polyunsaturated fats in your diet by using the right kinds of cooking oils. Sunflower, corn and cottonseed oil all contain polyunsaturated fats. Polyunsaturated fats help prevent oxidation in the circulatory system. Oxidation causes plaque buildup in the blood, leading to heart disease.

Monunsaturated Fats
    Olive oil, avocados and peanuts are three sources of monounsaturated fats. Like polyunsaturated fats, these fats help prevent oxidation. They also promote liver function. A healthy liver processes cholesterol more efficiently, keeping the levels of good and bad cholesterol under control. Monounsaturated fats are also high in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant.

Considerations
    Your body must process any food you consume. You want your body to process fats, so they are directed to function on the cellular level as well as within your organs and systems. Your body also needs fat to protect your organs, bones and joints from damage. Fat stores are necessary to provide energy when you go too long without food or in cases of illness. When you eat too much fat, including healthy fat, your body cannot process the excess. It builds up in the body causing unhealthy weight gain, plaque build up in the blood and a slowed metabolism. Include healthy fats in your diet but in moderate amounts
  • blakeman187
    Options
    Eat whatever, whenever, as long as it fits your macros