Milk?

Options
So what kind of milk do you guys use? Skim, soy, rice, almond, regular? I've tried Silk unsweetened almond milk yesterday, and it had a really nice taste and only 30cals per cup 0 grams sugar, but it doesn't have any protein =( Usually I use skim in my coffee, and occasionally drink a glass before bed. How about you?

Replies

• ianwalker1969
    Options
    I use 1% milk, can't get use to full skimmed as it's just too thin. The 1% is a good compromise between skimmed and semi-skimmed.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Skim milk here. No fat, low calorie (only 80 calories per 8 ounces), and loaded with calcium and vitamin D. IMO, as long as one doesn't have lactose intolerance or allergies, milk (in moderation - 2 to 4 cups a day) is perfectly fine.
  • daryna13
    Options
    Hmm, I know what you mean about the taste of skim - it's fine in coffee, but it does come out if you're just drinking it by itself. Have you guys tried rice or soy milk (haven't tried either of those?)
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond...Because there's less sugar. BUT if I didn't care, I'd use 2%!
  • daryna13
    Options
    Yup, I'm thinking of moving onto almond now just because I'm a sugar junkie and my intake's usually through the roof...Do you drink it with coffee (that's where my milk mainly goes so I'm wondering if it tastes the same)?
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened almond milk. The only thing I really use it for is smoothies and it really cuts down on the sugar if I am adding yogurt of fruit to it. I don't really care for drinking it plain though.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drink soy milk, usually the fat free stuff. I love it! It's delicious!
  • ianwalker1969
    Options
    Almond Milk looks nice, but is not easily available here in the UK. Where you can buy it, it costs over £3 for one litre, 1% is £1 for 2 litres.

Too expensive for my budget I'm afraid.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like 1%. The only unsweetened almond milk I've found so far is vanilla flavored, and it tastes kind of odd to me, so that's out.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    So what kind of milk do you guys use? Skim, soy, rice, almond, regular? I've tried Silk unsweetened almond milk yesterday, and it had a really nice taste and only 30cals per cup 0 grams sugar, but it doesn't have any protein =( Usually I use skim in my coffee, and occasionally drink a glass before bed. How about you?

OMFG. I opened this post to extoll the virtues of unsweetened vanilla almond milk until you said there was no protein. I never even realized that.

Good solution may be to add some protein powder to each glass? I've done this with vanilla whey protein (a local grocery store makes it, Town & Country Market) and the unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it tasted delish.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Here in Germany regular milk only comes in two varieties: 1.5% and 3.5% fat. I always get 3.5%. To me it tastes better. I don't need a lot of milk, so that one is fine :)

I occasionally get vanilla soy milk. But only as a treat because it's too sweet for my taste.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I only use whole milk now. I got off the low fat bandwagon. I feel more satisfied and have no problem staying within my goals. I am slowly weaning myself from artificial sweeteners also. The sweeteners are way more difficult to get off of for me.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Soy!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Not in my coffee! In my tea I still drink half-and half, because I don't use that much of it. But for my *drink a glass of milk a day* I drink almond milk! I get lots of protein, in other places though. I'm not a vegetarian and I have stuff like eggs and nuts for snacks--not too many carby things.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Skimmed milk here. It was the easiest thing to change, barely notice any difference in my tea/coffee.

Taste-wise, it's just like watered-down normal milk. It loses the creaminess.

But, i was never a fan of creamy milk, so this was a very easy switch for me.
  • daryna13
    Options
    OMFG. I opened this post to extoll the virtues of unsweetened vanilla almond milk until you said there was no protein. I never even realized that.

Good solution may be to add some protein powder to each glass? I've done this with vanilla whey protein (a local grocery store makes it, Town & Country Market) and the unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it tasted delish.

The protein powder sounds sensible, it would work in smoothies really well, and I think the calories/fat would be under regular milk with protein being over, now that sounds quite good xD
  • JennJayBee
    JennJayBee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the Smart Balance Fat Free milk. It doesn't taste as watered-down as regular skim milk, and it's packed with protein (11g per 8oz serving). You can also get it with extra calcium or omega 3's. One serving of the +calcium will give you 40% of your daily calcium. My regular skim milk is 90 calories per serving, and this only has 10 more at 100 calories per serving. I also take a calcium supplement.

Regarding the protein powder some of you are mentioning... Does it come in chocolate flavor? I've never bought any. I do need to add some more protein to my diet without a lot of calories, so perhaps a glass of "chocolate milk" would be a good way to do that.
  • NoDairy
    NoDairy Posts: 88
    Options
    : I only drink coconut milk.. enjoying a smoothie with it right now :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Full fat (whole) organic milk from local dairies that treat their cows right. Non-homogenized if possible.

Whole milk is chock full of *real* calcium and vitamins -- not the synthetic fortification stuff. It's the way to go.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Goat milk. Sensitive to Cow milk, so I can't drink it, or anything made with it. But Goat milk I can.

Cow milk is for baby cows who need to grow up to be 400-500 lbs.

Goat milk is for baby goats who need to grow up to be 100 or so pounds. I'll that this one.