Fit and Fun Sized (those under 5'4") for October

Options
Hello everyone,

Welcome to anyone new that wants to join us and welcome back to those of you who have been posting here.

This forum is for those of us who are shorter in stature. I have found a lot of support here, a lot of good advice and gotten to know some wonderful people through this thread.

August was a hard month for me and it seems that is has been a hard month for many people I know here online, at my work and in my personal life.

How was September for you? October is here and it is a new beginning for all of us.

Jeannie

Replies

• pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in! I am 5'3" and hit goal in May. I am now 6 pounds below goal and have fluctuated in a 2 pound range for a few months. Just yesterday someone referred to me as "small but mighty".............I like it :)
  • rcpayton
    Options
    Im a tall 5'3" on a good day! lol

September was a struggle as I hit another plateau. Im about 20 lbs from my goal weight and I guess it's to be expected to have the weight come off slowly at this point. I think I need to go back to the basics....Jillian Michaels DVD's everyday. Ive had more success with those than spending lots of time at the gym. I will probably start back on the JM DVD's and work in 2 days/wk at the gym, daily dog walks and bike rides. And, of course, need to watch the calories!

Hope your October is successful and on track! You are right....Its a fresh start. A new month! Time to look back, refocus and move forward! :)
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Here's a little about me.

I'm 5'1", and at my heaviest I was almost 150lbs, which is not good on my little frame. I was injured back in October and had to have surgery in April. In those months I had gained 20lbs, and then gained another 10 before I decided enough was enough. So here I am, 10lbs lighter :) I have my own support group, but I also want to get in on other support groups that I don't have to control, haha. I like the leadership position, but I also like to be the "member" in another group. So I'm interested in this one, and another. As long as I keep up with these, and if we do challenges, the more challenges, the better! :)

September was a rough month only because I started my second year of college, my first time back to school on a new "diet." So finding foods and deciding what's okay to eat and what isn't is hard. But I'm learning!
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would be a newbie!
    I'm 5'2 - at my heaviest I was 237...was trying on my own and lost a few pounds...but then I joined MFP in August 2011 weighing 228 and have lost 14.5 pounds so far =)

September was a rough month for me because my dear aunt passed away in mid September and I'm in the middle of an frivilous investigation at work... I have faith everything will work out because I have nothing to hide...don't you just love disgruntled ex-employees! I attribute my weight loss so far to MFP - I log everything religiously, even my bad days! I also use Beachbody products (Meal Replacement Formula and Shakeology - no, I'm not on their pyramid scheme, I buy mine off of eBay and through one of my friends who is a coach)...I am also a pace leader of a run/walk half marathon training program near my home via the local running club. I gotta say... I was a chubby one last year when I ran (and ran slowly)...and after losing nearly 15 pounds, I am running with the best of em in the run/walk group and love every minute of it!!!
  • STrubacz
    Options
    I am just under 5'4"... 5'3.5" (that half inch counts! haha)

I joined this after being on weight watchers for a year, losing 25 lbs on ww, and then gaining it all back when I had to switch medications. My husband and I had some financial problems and had to cut back, so I couldn't re-join. My friend told me about myfitnesspal and it's been working just as great (if not better!). I am also at that plateau stage... I hit it with ww and I knew it was inevitable here. I think the toughest part about the plateau is not giving up. You want to see the weight keep coming off and when it doesn't it can be discouraging. But it DOES come off!!! :)
  • sundance2032
    sundance2032 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would like to join also, i am 5'3.25 :) ok really 5'3'' :)

It looks like we are all on a plateau and working to break it. It is going to be fun getting to know everyone.
    Right not I am at 146.6. (I was 145.0 yesterday :sad: ) I would like to break into the 130's by the end of the month and think I can.. I know I will do my best... I have a huge problem with the carbs... I just cant put them dawn :frown: ... but these <
    are my goal shoes and I think they will be wonderful on me :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Hello again!!! I had a pretty great September. I ran my first half marathon (and finished in 2:16) and I'm super proud of that!!! I've lost about 10 pounds over the last couple of months, which is great because now I'm at the top of what I'm calling my "goal" weight. I want to lose a couple more to have that 5 pound window.... just in case I have a bad day or go on vacation or whatever.

The best part about being at (or near) my goal weight is shopping. I've gone from a size 14/16 and XL to a S/M and a size 4 pants!!!! Who knew?? I really never knew I could be this small... it's awesome! I'm much more proportioned than I thought I'd be too, but of course I still have a soft pudgy belly which will firm up in time. I'm cutting back a bit on the running for right now, but that hasn't stopped my drive to be fit. Today I took my first spin/yoga combo class at our local rec center. It was 30 minutes of spin and 30 minutes of yoga. LOVED it! Hope you all find fun exercises to do... it so helps to actually WANT to workout! I'll get up early tomorrow for a nice run before church... thinking 6-8 miles depending on what time I get my fanny out of bed!!! (I'm still not a morning person!)

Have a great October!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: September went pretty well for me until the end of the month when I went to a weekend retreat and ate a bunch of stuff that I don't normally eat in quantities that were bigger than usual. Right now my weight is up almost three pounds. I haven't changed my ticker to reflect the change but may have to do that soon.

:bigsmile: my goal for September was upper body strength training and I didn't come anywhere close to do that three days a week.....unless you count getting pulled by frisky poodles on leashes :laugh:

:flowerforyou: my goal for October is to work in the yard even in bad weather. today for day one I trimmed bushes and cleaned out part of a flower bed.

:flowerforyou: my regular morning exercise is walking the dogs individually as soon as I get up, then I eat breakfast and leash both dogs and walk for an hour or more with them. Three days a week I go to a two hour line dance class.

:flowerforyou: this will be a great month for all of us :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    5' 2.5" here, currently at 144 lbs trying to work my way down to 130. I had a few tough weeks in Sept but still was able to lose overall! Just finding it hard to find the time to log when I don't spend my days tied to the computer (bummer the MFP app doesn't work on my blackberry, apparently it is the wrong version of Windows OS).

I'm an avid runner, scheduled for a 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks (I run 4-6 per year) then plan to spend the winter in cross train so that I can focus on weight loss & let this darn hip bursitis heal!

In spite of the 10 lbs I've lose in the past ~ 2 months, when I look in the mirror all I see is tummy chub! Hoping my winter focus on weights over cardio will help.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Pelleld – Welcome and congratulations on hitting your goal. Feel free to jump in with anything that worked and what didn’t. Even if we’ve heard it before, hearing it again is always a good thing.

RCpayton- We are at the same spot. Welcome. I agree with getting back to basics.

Hm_day – Welcome! What kind of surgery was it, if I may ask? We have others who are recovering here too. Hang in there.

Faeriegirl – Welcome and wow! You have a lot going on right now. Feel free to dump on us anytime. It’s better to talk about things here than let it build up. We all have inner strength that pulls us through hard times and I am sure you do to.

S Trubacz – I agree on the WWs. I also tried it, lost and then put it back on. I am not sure why because I know others it worked for. Welcome.

Sundance – Welcome! I love the goal shoes. I can’t wait to see the dress to go with them.

Nikstergirl – Hi again back at you. Congratulations on the size 4 pants. You must be so happy and it must be so much fun to shopt.

Barbie – Good to see you posting again. I know how busy you have been and I can say I miss your posts. You are such an inspiration to all of us.

As for me, I am enjoying my 2 days off from dieting and eating stuff that I truely miss, but I am not pigging out. Tomorrow I weigh in for the Partners Weightloss contest my friends and I are running at work. I plan on doing just what we are all talking about - getting back to the basics that got me as far as I am right now.

Happy Sunday!

Jeannie
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    Even in this group I'm still the shortest...LOL. I'm whole whopping 5' even! I thought I was 5'1" until my bubble was burst in my last pregnancy and they said I was 5'...oh well!! :bigsmile: At my heaviest I was 220, I am now about 180...I still have a LONG way to go to get to my goal of 120 but I will get there. September was good, I've been losing an average of a pound a week, there have been too many days where I gave in to my cravings but then I haven't had a gain so I think that's a success. I have consistently remained active and that is something I am VERY proud of. A complete 360 from where I was last year. So although it's slow going, I will get there!!:drinker:
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Pelleld – Welcome and congratulations on hitting your goal. Feel free to jump in with anything that worked and what didn’t. Even if we’ve heard it before, hearing it again is always a good thing.

RCpayton- We are at the same spot. Welcome. I agree with getting back to basics.

Hm_day – Welcome! What kind of surgery was it, if I may ask? We have others who are recovering here too. Hang in there.

Faeriegirl – Welcome and wow! You have a lot going on right now. Feel free to dump on us anytime. It’s better to talk about things here than let it build up. We all have inner strength that pulls us through hard times and I am sure you do to.

S Trubacz – I agree on the WWs. I also tried it, lost and then put it back on. I am not sure why because I know others it worked for. Welcome.

Sundance – Welcome! I love the goal shoes. I can’t wait to see the dress to go with them.

Nikstergirl – Hi again back at you. Congratulations on the size 4 pants. You must be so happy and it must be so much fun to shopt.

Barbie – Good to see you posting again. I know how busy you have been and I can say I miss your posts. You are such an inspiration to all of us.

As for me, I am enjoying my 2 days off from dieting and eating stuff that I truely miss, but I am not pigging out. Tomorrow I weigh in for the Partners Weightloss contest my friends and I are running at work. I plan on doing just what we are all talking about - getting back to the basics that got me as far as I am right now.

Happy Sunday!

Jeannie

I had a torn labrum in my hip joint that needed to be repaired/replaced. I got injured last October and had the surgery in April. I was a hurtin' baby, haha.
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the newbies and good morning to all our regulars. I hope everyone is doing well. Hope this month is better than last!! Have a great day!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I went to my 25th class reunion last Friday. Had a blast! I got more than one comment that I looked so young. I think it is because I am so short. Most of the "girls" towered over me (but they did have hugely high heels on LOL). Me, I was in my tennis shoes because of my stupid foot. Even if I could I don't think I could even walk in high heels any more!!

I'm starting to do more on the ellipitcal. Last night I actually started to sweat. I'm up to 11 minutes now. I felt like I actually exercised!!
  • tanyabangay
    tanyabangay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I'm 5'1" and at my heaviest was 195.5lbs. I am currently down to 149lbs and am working towards my goal of 125-130lbs. It's great to have other ppl around my size to compare with and encourage. So, if you wanna add me, feel free. I'm here every day!
  • ChshireKat
    Options
    BOOKMARK
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am nearly 52 years old...I'm almost 5' 2". My heaviest ever was 174. :noway: Being a shorty we all know how any extra weight can make us look much heavier than we actually are.
    I started MFP in january of 2010 weighing in at 160. I reached my goal weight of 130 in 123 days and then started running and lost another 10 lbs for an ultimate goal weight of 120. I also went from a size 12 jean to a size 4. I FEEL FANTASTIC! I feel like 32 not 52...
    I've been on maintenance for a year now and my current weight is 118...I would never have reached this goal without this website and the support of some amazing people.
    I'm still running at least 4 days a week and on days I don't run, I make sure I get in 10,000 steps.
    My biggest problems are comfort foods and M&Ms. But, I manage to overcome cravings by just thinking it through. "Do I REALLY NEED THIS?
    Anyway, I just want to thank MFP for having this website available and to each and every person who has encouraged me along this journey. My before and after pics are on my profile...check them out if you want.
    Have a great day friends!
  • daybyday
    Options
    Hi!
    I am nearly 52 years old...I'm almost 5' 2". My heaviest ever was 174. :noway: Being a shorty we all know how any extra weight can make us look much heavier than we actually are.
    I started MFP in january of 2010 weighing in at 160. I reached my goal weight of 130 in 123 days and then started running and lost another 10 lbs for an ultimate goal weight of 120. I also went from a size 12 jean to a size 4. I FEEL FANTASTIC! I feel like 32 not 52...
    I've been on maintenance for a year now and my current weight is 118...I would never have reached this goal without this website and the support of some amazing people.
    I'm still running at least 4 days a week and on days I don't run, I make sure I get in 10,000 steps.
    My biggest problems are comfort foods and M&Ms. But, I manage to overcome cravings by just thinking it through. "Do I REALLY NEED THIS?
    Anyway, I just want to thank MFP for having this website available and to each and every person who has encouraged me along this journey. My before and after pics are on my profile...check them out if you want.
    Have a great day friends!

If it wasn't for this amazing woman (whom I know in real life) I would never have known about MFP!!
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    Hi I"m 5'3" and was at my heaviest about a decade ago at 195. Then dropped to about 145 after cutting sugar out of everything. Then stayed around 160 for a few years. Was back near 190 this past Winter. Now I'm back in the 160's again.. Yea!!!! Shotting for the 130's by Jan. But realistically about 150 :( by the cruise.
  • daybyday
    Options
    Nothing much new here other than I haven't gained since last week =). I had to get on the scale at the doctor's office (the foot dr - what's up with that, its something new) and it is always at least 5 pounds more than at home :( The dr says my PT tendon is weak so hurry up and get stronger so I can have a normal gait again!! I am supposed to take long steps - how does that work when us short people have short legs?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!