I need motivation, help please!

Options
So, the past two weeks I've had midterms for my last semester of college and I've not worked out AT ALL. I've gone to class, gone to work, come home and studied until I go to sleep. Now, I can't get the motivation to go. I was already frustrated because I've been stuck at a plateau for so long, but now I just can't seem to make myself get up and go.

It's almost like I'm saying to myself, "Why? I've been stuck for two months at the same weights? I didn't work out for two weeks and didn't gain, so why go workout?" But, I also know that EVENTUALLY the plateau will have to break.

I've only got 7 lbs to go until goal weight, so I know that's also what is making it so hard.

Replies

• jmh35slh
    Options
    As with life, some things you just have to get up and do. You've come this far...don't stop now. Don't "settle" for OK. Finish with a flourish! This is a new way of life, and a new you. Keep working at it. I know you can do it!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the picture? Not sure if its you or a celebrity.

I think your motivation should be how close you are to your goal.
    You wouldn't drive from LA to NYC and stop in Philadelphia.
  • Finney88
    Finney88 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My picture is Jennifer Love-Hewitt. I think she's fit, but not so terribly tiny so I like to think of her as a good model to strive for. And you're right...I've lost 18 lbs at this point. 7 more isn't much. It's just taking SO. VERY. LONG.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    You are doing great. The last 10 or so pounds are the hardest and you are really working hard with everything you are doing. Just remember that exercise is a good stress reliever. Even if you only take a 10 minute brisk walk it will settle your nerves and allow for some relaxation.
  • melissabee31
    Options
    I am also in a similar situation. I used to be a workout-a-holic until I started online classes. I only work outside my apartment three days a week for a few hours, so I rarely even need to leave my building to do much else. The apartment gym is just downstairs, but I find it so hard to get going now.

I find that once I get back into my original routine, I feel just as inspired as I did before I became sluggish and demotivated. I love feeling sore after my workouts, so when I start to do workouts again that make me that sore, I feel more motivated again.

I realize how hard it is to amp up motivation when you've been stuck for so long. Saying, "I will workout four times this week," does not necessarily translate into working out four times this week. I find that writing down your workouts in a planner or making a workout schedule helps you actually get to the gym when you plan to. If I know I have time Monday morning to workout, and I plan for it in advance, I almost always do it.

So maybe try scheduling yourself a workout at a time you can actually make (so not at 5:30 am if you aren't normally up then). and try doing a workout you absolutely loved before. If you felt great after doing such and such workout, try to do it again to motivate yourself.

You can get back into the habit of working out. It does take time to get out of a rut though.