I'm afraid of eating my exercise calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet, it's a way of life. Eat the calories ( a 100 calorie floating window each way is reasonable). Food is fuel for what we do, not an enemy to be scared of.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I eat mine regularly. It also motivates me to work out more if I am having a special event, to be able to eat more!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I eat mine regularly. It also motivates me to work out more if I am having a special event, to be able to eat more!
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about "what's the point of exercising if I'm just going to eat the calories back?" I hear you. I used to think that way, too. Now, though, I'm looking at it differently, in that if I exercise, I get to eat more! This helps me mentally a lot. If I find my set calories leave me feeling too hungry somedays, I honestly feel better if I go for a walk and then I get to eat more. And I have to admit the exercise does make me feel more energetic. Who knew? ;)
    That's a good mentality. That's why I never exercise because I really don't want to eat more than I'm already eating :)
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I never ate mine back until I started maintaining....but thats just me. I still don't eat them all back. To each their own.

Me too. (How do you do the quote box thing?)
  • sgpaschak
    Options
    Exercise has nothing to do with losing weight. The sooner you learn this truth, the healthier you will get. Exercise is to improve your fitness, improving cardiovascular health, muscle strength, and overall well being. Weight loss is all about eating properly, and part of eating properly is eating enough to fuel your exercise. Your body needs fuel to repair itself after exercising, if you aren't eating back exercise calories, your body isn't getting the proper amounts of nutrients to repair itself, and the actual exercise becomes futile, as your body needs amino acids to repair muscle tissue that get damaged during exercise. Don't eat enough protein (which is what happens when you work out a lot without eating back your exercise calories) and your body will start breaking muscle tissue down to scavenge the amino acids it needs to repair the other tissue from exercising. So while yes, you may lose weight from that approach, it will be lean muscle weight, and not excess body fat.

Excellent information. One quote I've seen thrown around by members here is "Diet makes you look good with your clothes on, exercise makes you look good with your clothes off."
  • bgredenbaugh
    bgredenbaugh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One thing to be aware of - the MFP calorie estimates were completely wrong - at least for me! It would estimate 800 calories burned for something, but when I got my heart rate monitor, it was more like 500!!

If you want to eat back some of your calories, make sure you've actually EARNED THAT MANY!!

A heart rate monitor will save you a love of heart burn! :tongue:
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Shoot. I exercise just so I can eat more!!

*only slightly joking* :laugh: