Need to lose at least 30lbs by 05/20/09.. Do I have a chance

Options
I have a wedding to go to in the end of may and I'm a bride's maid in the wedding.. the dress the bride selected only goes up to a size 12 so that is the one I bought.. But I am a size 16 in dresses...:indifferent: So im trying to lose around 30lbs so i may fit the part.. Do I have a fight chance???:noway:

Replies

• sallyado
    sallyado Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a wedding to go to in the end of may and I'm a bride's maid in the wedding.. the dress the bride selected only goes up to a size 12 so that is the one I bought.. But I am a size 16 in dresses...:indifferent: So im trying to lose around 30lbs so i may fit the part.. Do I have a fight chance???:noway:
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would go to your doctor about this. There is probably a way, however, it would be extreme and should probably be monitored. 1-2 lbs a week is the healthy way to go which would only be about half way to your mark. Your doctor could probably give you a healthy way to go and could make sure that you are getting everything you need.
  • sallyado
    Options
    Thats a good idea i haven't even thought of that thanks..:smooched:
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options

even if you dont lose the weight you can lose the inches and that would help you get into that dress...Just work hard at it and you should be just fine... but that is 15 pounds a month... so GOOD LUCK in you journey...
  • lessofme2
    Options
    I agree.....it is not a really good thing to lose that quickly. Maybe you could have someone let the dress out a bit.....or is there a way to sneak a few inches of fabric into it so it would fit better.
    Good luck!
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    Yeah if You reallly stay dedicated and cut out soda and sugar you should be fine. LOTS of water. Many people here find that you loose inches before weight, which is good for fitting into a dress!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Twenty pounds in 9 weeks is probably more realistic - but it's going to take the discipline of a monk!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    End of May is about 10 weeks away, so that's 3 pounds a week, which is a little fast, but may be doable. I would seriously think about checking in with a doc.

Part of the issue of course is where you are and where you're going. I've dropped nearly 30 pounds in the last 10 weeks, but I started at 270 (?!?!) pounds. So I've dropped 10%, which may not be that big a deal.

Anywho - here's my take. 30 pounds in 10 weeks,,, 300 pound man going to 270? Piece of cake. 140 pound woman going for 110?,,, not so much.

With exercise & good diet it may be doable - actors do it for movie roles all the time, but they do it with a Dr. and a Dietitian and a personal trainer. May want to check in with your doc.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Try to get as fit as possible while controlling your weight. Many people have had great success with Chalean Extreme by Beachbody. Normally, I would recommend P90X, but you are looking for leaner look in a relatively short period of time. You must commit to this now to have any chance at reaching your goal in 2 months. Good luck!

PS- Eat healthy, no crash diets....
  • sallyado
    Options
    well im roughly around 190lbs ... i yoyo up and down 5 lbs or so but right around 190.what do you think?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You will be amazed at your results if you set a goal and make a firm commitment to it. All of your focus and energy must go into this...and you have to believe you can do it.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    how do you know that 30lbs lost will put you into a size 12? you might only need to lose 15... or you might need to lose 50. Everyone is different, and sizes can be weird. What you should do is discuss with the bride the fact that the dress she chose doesn't fit you. She could easily chose a slightly different dress in the same colour. Most BM dresses come up to size 18 at least so I'm not understanding why she would choose you to be in her wedding and then proceed to choose a dress that she knows will not fit you.

could you lose 30 lbs by May 20th? It's possible, I've seen it done, but I've also seen people try to lose for months and have nothing happen. And, like I said, even if you do lose the 30lbs there is no guarantee that it will put you at a size 12. Better to get a dress that fits you now, and have it altered to be smaller later, if need be.
  • paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    I guess anything is possible and it all depends on how bad YOU want to fit in that dress. If you really want too and are willing to do what it takes well then it is possible. But like others have mentioned, I have lost more inches then pounds on here so even if you loose inches that is going to make you fit into that dress! Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Its shocking to me that the bride would not take that into consideration??

Like Kerri says its really hard to tell with sizes. I am 5'6 and started at 190 and the first month the weight just fell off!!! I knew it wouldnt last so I enjoyed it. Then I hit a platoue for weeks but I lost inches. I went from a 14 to a tight 12. Now I have only lost 1 more lb but my 12 jeans are getting loose. However I have 2 size 12 shorts that I still cannot button!!! So even though something says its a size it may not be the same as another brand!

I think it would be less stressful and healthier to talk to your bride and see if there is an alternative.

:flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    how do you know that 30lbs lost will put you into a size 12? you might only need to lose 15... or you might need to lose 50. Everyone is different, and sizes can be weird. What you should do is discuss with the bride the fact that the dress she chose doesn't fit you. She could easily chose a slightly different dress in the same colour. Most BM dresses come up to size 18 at least so I'm not understanding why she would choose you to be in her wedding and then proceed to choose a dress that she knows will not fit you.

could you lose 30 lbs by May 20th? It's possible, I've seen it done, but I've also seen people try to lose for months and have nothing happen. And, like I said, even if you do lose the 30lbs there is no guarantee that it will put you at a size 12. Better to get a dress that fits you now, and have it altered to be smaller later, if need be.

I completely agree with this. She choose you to be her bride's maid so why would she choose a dress knowing it is not available in a size that would fit you? I'm not saying it isn't possible to lose the weight by then, it might be, but that is a lot of pressure to put on yourself. And stress in itself can sometimes hinder weightloss efforts.

If the bride can't or won't change the dress, maybe see a seamstress to find out if anything can be done to let the dress out a bit?

That's my thoughts.
    I hope this works out for you:flowerforyou: