Too Skinny?

Options
Is it bad that I want to be on the lower end of what is recommended for my height? Since I am only 5'2..from what I researched, my healthy weight is anywhere form 101 lbs to 121 lbs. Is it bad that I want to be 101 pounds? I am just excited becasue I have been overweight so much for so long, I cannot wait to be there. Any thoughts?

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you will need to see how it looks on you. I wasn't so cute at 100 pounds, but I'm 5'5", so I looked like Skeletor, so those 3 inches could make a world of difference.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    No. I like to be 'underweight' (in terms of the rather silly BMI) as its what looks best on my body.
    I wouldn't want to be very underweight as thats unhealthy.
    101lb sounds great to me for your height.

(I'm 5.9'' by the way, usual weight 116-118lb/53-54kg)
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    whatever goal you make for yourself, make it attainable and sustainable.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    From your ticker it looks like you have quite a way to go (like me lol)

I want to be on the lower end of my healthy weight range too, but have set my goal higher. I'll reassess when I get closer - I don't want to look too thin, but I also don't want to stop too early. The last bit is the hardest too - and I can't imagine it being any harder than it is at the moment - I still have about 50lbs to lose before I can even THINK about switching to maintenance so it will certainly be a while before I have to start making any sort of decisions.

I don't even know if I answered your question....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's your body. Just be healthy.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on the number.
  • Eagles320
    Options
    If you feel healthy and you are healthy then if your happy I support it. Its always about your health and always should be.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

This. As you tone you will change in unexpected ways. Right now jeans I wore (snug) at 135 before are lose on me now at 135.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. I'm 5'2" and my GW right now is 125. Some people might think that's still overweight, but actually the last time I was that weight I was anorexic and it looked pretty bad on me. I'm hoping if I get to it in a healthy way it might not be so bad. My doctor DH thinks that 135-140 is a much more realistic and healthy weight goal.

Ultimately think not about the numbers, but about how strong you feel. Do you have energy? Fitness? Is that weight going to be easy to maintain?

Right now it's a long way off (at least for me!), and I know that I'll have to reassess with every mini-goal I achieve.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

This.

If anything...shoot for a healthy bodyfat percentage...starting at say...25%, since you're a woman. Once you reach that...see where you're at and go from there.

Trust me hun...the BMI is virtually useless. I'm considered borderline obese by that stupid chart...and while my MFP pictures show a lot of muscle (the lighting is designed for that)...I'm really not that big a guy.

Bodyfat is the real guage...I'd use it, and only it to validate your progress. The scale is just a quick reference...and the BMI chart needs thrown out the window lol.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    It's not too skinny for some people, others it is. You can have it as a goal right now but I would be open to change. As you get closer to goal, you will have a better understanding about whether or not that weight works for you.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options

THIS!!! It's nice to have a goal to shoot for but don't get hung up the scale. Figure out what you want to look like and shoot for that. If you end up 100 lbs great! If you don't end up 100lbs but like the way you look anyway- well then you're still happy. I picked a couple tall athletic girls that I want to look like and I keep their pictures around as a reminder. I still physically have a little ways to go before I attain the physique I want BUT I don't really care that much what I weigh now. Makes it more attainable and realistic. :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    No, it's not "bad". I'm about the same height (5'3" on a good day lol) and anywhere from 100-140 is actually the healthy range. My initial goal is 135. At 140 I can enlist in the military (my goal) but I would like to settle somewhere around 115-125 eventually. I was 125 in high school and I looked very thin but was athletic, so that may be too thin for me and I may stick at 135, after all. We will see!

Just don't get all bent out of shape over a certain exact weight. Give yourself a range with a little leeway. 101 is extremely rail thin and you might not feel very beautiful with no curves and no fat whatsoever. Curves on a grown woman are beautiful and an indicator of health and sexiness! Don't be your "skinniest" self, be your healthiest, most authentic self.

• cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 1/2" and look a little padded at 123; I've been around 115 most of my life and never felt too thin then. I have gotten too thin comments between 108 and 113 but I think I look great at 110 +/- 2. I have a very small frame (can wear kids hats, gloves, and glasses) so I think this influences it a lot. I agree that muscles make a big difference. Last year at this weight I was a tight 6P now I'm a loose 6P but I have walked, run, and lifted a lot since then. Muscles also take you from bony to trim at your lowest weight. Also easier to maintain a lower weight with more muscles in the mix.

Good luck on your journey. Be patient - it's taken time to gain it, it takes time to lose it. Be sure to build movement into your trip down and you'll look better when you get there, as well as all the sizes in between.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 3 and would not want to ever be 101lbs but thats just me....im aiming for 120 but again thats just me everyone holds weight differently

p.s your healthy bmi range for 5ft 2 is 101-136! not 121...... for 5ft3 its 105-141
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be at the low end, but it really depends on how it looks on me. Once I get to the high end of a healthy weight for me I'll look at my body and decide if that is what I've always wanted or if I want to go down a little more.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd look terrible at the low end but then I have a large frame and get pretty muscular when I work out regularly. Even at a little under 130 I started to look a little bobbleheaded in the past. It really depends. Take lots of progress pics and take a good look at what you really prefer. If you decide you did get too skinny, oh well you can always gain some back.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd wait to worry about that when you get there. Maybe set your goal for 110 and then decide if you want to lose more. I think it's easier to set goals a little higher and then tweek from there. And once you get closer you might find the number doesn't mean as much as body composition. Technically I have 4lbs left, but really what I have left is some chubby thighs. They might disappear and the scale might remain at 150, or it might go to 142. The number on the scale doesn't matter.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and was originally aiming for 120, then moved it to 115, and now am debating 110. Right now i'm at 128 and it's getting so hard to lose this. the original 20 would just drop off each week. I think as long as your body is healthy and you are feeling good is what matters. I'm thinking 100 would be too tiny for me. but between 110 and 120 is ideal.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree with lots of the previous posters... wait until you are a bit closer to your goal and see how you look and feel, it really will depend on what is best for your body and your lifestyle.

I am currently about 156 which is still "overweight" according to the BMI but am fitting into size 10 pants (US size 6) and just don't think I need to be much thinner. My current goal is to stay around about this weight, though I'd like to lose another kg or so just to get to a nice round number. My other current goals are to maintain this weight loss and to run a half marathon. And to tone up my flabby bits and get leaner and tighter muscles. At this point, the weight on the scale doesn't help me much.