extra skin?

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Make sure you check with your regular doctor. It's possible that if they deem it a necessary procedure that it would be covered by insurance.

Also, drink a LOT of water while you are in the process of losing weight. It will help the skin gain and maintain it's elasticity which will help it reshape to your new body.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Make sure you check with your regular doctor. It's possible that if they deem it a necessary procedure that it would be covered by insurance.

Also, drink a LOT of water while you are in the process of losing weight. It will help the skin gain and maintain it's elasticity which will help it reshape to your new body.

YES! I talked with my doc about this recently and was told that if I "have" to repeadly come in for pain caused by the loose skin that Ins. would probably cover it rather than pay for repeated appointments and meds :)
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Including pregnancy weight, I've lost up to 60 lbs (5lbs higher right now). Being so short, 2 pregnancies and 2 c-sections later, I have what I call my "shelf". My ob said I surgery was the only way to get rid of it. Even getting down to 103 lbs and 15% bodyfat, the shelf shrank but remained! I can hide it it, but I'm tired of having to hide it. I have a mini tummy tuck scheduled next month at the tune of $3500. I am so excited, I've been waiting for this for 3 years!!!

I wanted boobs too, but the hubby said no :sad: lol!!!
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    My excess skin is the ONLY thing I don't like about the weight I've lost, and I'm only half way to my goal. Sometimes I look in the mirror and realize that without clothes on I actually felt sexier and more feminine when I was 180lbs heavier. I've already started putting money back to pay to have the skin surgically removed one day. The main problem is now it also causes me pain sometimes, especially when I'm really active.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    This is actually pretty depressing.

Any form of surgery simply isn't an option for me money wise.

So even when i get to my goal, i still wont be able to take my shirt off.

=/

If you are still young, time may tighten it up. If not, it will still tighten up a bit, but the loose skin may never go away. I have read that it will take at least 2 years after you lose the weight for the skin to tighten as much as it will.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    This is actually pretty depressing.

Any form of surgery simply isn't an option for me money wise.

So even when i get to my goal, i still wont be able to take my shirt off.

=/

If you are still young, time may tighten it up. If not, it will still tighten up a bit, but the loose skin may never go away. I have read that it will take at least 2 years after you lose the weight for the skin to tighten as much as it will.

Despite feeling young, im 35 now....my only hope is that i dont have that much to lose relatively. It's not like a couple of hundred pounds. But...this is the first thing in 5 months that has noticeabley dented my enthusiasm and drive....:frown:
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Ok, so the question is...how much should I expect to pay for a tummy tuck? I don't have a lot of loose skin but enough to piss me off.

Look at my picture and tell me if you think I should even pursue it. I would appreciate any feedback.

I checked out your pics and I dont see any loose skin that you are talking about at all. If I were you I def. would not spend the money on it! I think you look great!
    I seriously had a huge bulge of skin hanging over my belly button! Even though I had lost so much weight I still couldnt wear fitted shirts because the bulge was so obvious!!
    the cost for me was roughly $8500 I cant remember the exact amt. that is the going rate for the New England area.

good to know its not as much as i thought i am in CT so it should be around that. then we will see if thighs need it
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    well gotta say I am alittle depressed reading this. i was never big. I got pregnant and gained 75lbs, lost it all but still had a belly. Then I gained all the weight back almost and lost it again then gained double of it back and now have lost 36lbs with only 17 more to my goal. But my stomach, my arms, and inner thighs are a mess from gaining weight losing weight and again and again. I am going to do the most i can for a couple of years to get things to tighten up and will start saving for a tummy tuck and inner thigh tuck.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    FYI I read on another thread the using Prep H can help. I can't attest to this, but they said they had personlly used it and worked pretty well.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Here on Long Island, we had a plastic surgeon visit our bariatric surgery support group. She told me that there are certain procedures that health insurance will cover with a little bit of effort. The tummy tuck in the front (not in the back) is pretty easy to have covered, assuming it is significant "enough". Bat wings, no. Breast lift, probably, especially if there is chafing and discomfort. Most of the other stuff is out of pocket.

She said VERY VERY few people who have lost significant amounts (over 50-60 pounds) of weight can "tighten it up" unless they are very young and haven't been heavy for very long AND have a certain skin type, but it is NOT the norm.

Oh, and you have to have been stable at your current weight for a minimum amount of time.....I THINK 18 months, not sure.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    She said VERY VERY few people who have lost significant amounts (over 50-60 pounds) of weight can "tighten it up" unless they are very young and haven't been heavy for very long AND have a certain skin type, but it is NOT the norm.

Sigh.

Well that's cheered me up.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Ok, so the question is...how much should I expect to pay for a tummy tuck? I don't have a lot of loose skin but enough to piss me off.

Look at my picture and tell me if you think I should even pursue it. I would appreciate any feedback.

I checked out your pics and I dont see any loose skin that you are talking about at all. If I were you I def. would not spend the money on it! I think you look great!
    I seriously had a huge bulge of skin hanging over my belly button! Even though I had lost so much weight I still couldnt wear fitted shirts because the bulge was so obvious!!
    the cost for me was roughly $8500 I cant remember the exact amt. that is the going rate for the New England area.
    Ok, thank so much. I can see the extra skin more when I'm in plank and it drives me crazy. I guess after reading this thread I'm one of the lucky one. I'll just continue to be patient and stay the course.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    FYI I read on another thread the using Prep H can help. I can't attest to this, but they said they had personlly used it and worked pretty well.

If I did this I would really feel like an *kitten* Hole...LOL
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    I've lost over 100lbs and I have a little saggy skin but not too much. I have a little lower tummy pouch which has gotten smaller and smaller over the years and its basically flat now. Considering what it did look like, I'm happy with what it looks like now. I essentially have a flat tummy - except for when I bend over, then that little piece gets a little saggy and wrinkly!

It took me a lot of years to lose all this weight. I think that the slow weight loss, coupled with major amounts of water, my age (I was mid 20s when I started loosing, I'm 29 now) and strength training have really really helped! I feel like one of the lucky ones.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Here on Long Island, we had a plastic surgeon visit our bariatric surgery support group. She told me that there are certain procedures that health insurance will cover with a little bit of effort. The tummy tuck in the front (not in the back) is pretty easy to have covered, assuming it is significant "enough". Bat wings, no. Breast lift, probably, especially if there is chafing and discomfort. Most of the other stuff is out of pocket.

Oh, and you have to have been stable at your current weight for a minimum amount of time.....I THINK 18 months, not sure.

And of course a plastic surgeon would have no interest in having people have surgery to correct loose skin would they?
  • Ok, so the question is...how much should I expect to pay for a tummy tuck? I don't have a lot of loose skin but enough to piss me off.

No I don't think it is a issue for you. The pics look great. But it's not up to us..it's up to you..if you're not happy then go for it.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    I've lost 80 lbs so far. I've got probably 40 to go. I know that nothing is going to help my arms. I'm hoping to live with them and the rest of it. I've had 5 c-sections and that's enough surgery for me.
  • I am 42 and was always overweight. Got up to 260-275 with each of three pregnancies and am pretty happy with my current weight of 161 ish.

My hubby and I have been to two local plastic surgeons who gave us similar quotes for the tummy tuck and breast lift/augmentation (after the weight loss - they are two flabby noodles). We expect to pay around $16,000 if we do both procedures at the same time.

Neither of my procedures is medically necessary and would be a lie for me to try to say otherwise. I am perfectly healthy and suffer no pain/chafing (well - not physical :tongue: ) or anything like that.

This will be a 'reward' for me if I am able to maintain my weight till we can afford it - probably spring 2013 (tax return time).

Til then -on special occasions I wear VERY EXPEN$IVE push up bras from Victorias secret . . . but alas - no bikini yet . . .
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    10 years ago I lost 90lbs and maintained for 4 years... In that time the loose skin did get better with time, and I didn't try strength training or lots of water...

This time, when I get down to goal weight, I'm going to give it a few years and some serious weight training and water consumption before I even think about doing surgery.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member

I also checked out your photos and couldn't see any loose skin at all! (I had to re-type that 3 times because everything I wrote sounded pervy).