extra skin?

Options

Replies

• hayescarmen364
    Options
    You dont need surgery to get rid of extra skin. I went from 240 down to 170 and I had some extra skin around my midsection. I did bodyweight training and I drank about 200oz of water and It tightened up and I lost some extra skin in 5 weeks. You need to learn that skin is like elastic and best way to get rid of it without going to get surgery is drinking water. It was an issue when I was in Marine Corps bootcamp they talked to us about it when we had a Nutrion class before our first day of PT. Water and exersice is what you need and how you do it cane make it or break you.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Strength training at the gym :)

Are you speaking from personal experience, or just what you think is the thing to say??? Genetics have a whole lot to do with it, Sorry. You can lift weights till the cows come home, it wont matter at all if you do not have forgiving skin.

FYI, I am speaking from experience.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    This has been a concern of mine. I was close to 300 lbs. I'm now down about 60. Still have another 40-60 to reach my goal. I don't really notice any lose skin now. So I am hoping it stays that way. I've only been over weight for about 2 years and I'm still young. (29) so hoping that works in my favor.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the person and what their body wants to do. Due to a genetic condition my skin doesn't have "normal" elasticity and never seemed to really tighten up as much as I wanted it to after I lost 90lbs. And just for fun when I gained the weight back it was in different places so now I am fat and have extra skin!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm down a total of 186lbs and have another 34lbs to go. My stomach, thighs and arms look like melted wax. It's horrible. Don't know what if anything will help since I can't afford surgery.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    You dont need surgery to get rid of extra skin. I went from 240 down to 170 and I had some extra skin around my midsection. I did bodyweight training and I drank about 200oz of water and It tightened up and I lost some extra skin in 5 weeks. You need to learn that skin is like elastic and best way to get rid of it without going to get surgery is drinking water. It was an issue when I was in Marine Corps bootcamp they talked to us about it when we had a Nutrion class before our first day of PT. Water and exersice is what you need and how you do it cane make it or break you.

wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Perhaps you did not have extra skin because your weight was only at 240, but at my highest I was over 280+ and after losing 120 pounds and working for 10 years doing cardio and weights, the only sign of my former obese self was the sking hanging from my belly, arms and legs. No amount of water, cardio, weights or anything else will change this. Just like when a balloon gets stretched way out, the same happens to the skin and it never returns to its original former self.
    Sorry, you are just way off.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    laddyboy, I think you look great. But you have to do what matters to you. I'm praying if I ever lose the weight, I have only that much.
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Perhaps you did not have extra skin because your weight was only at 240, but at my highest I was over 280+ and after losing 120 pounds and working for 10 years doing cardio and weights, the only sign of my former obese self was the sking hanging from my belly, arms and legs. No amount of water, cardio, weights or anything else will change this. Just like when a balloon gets stretched way out, the same happens to the skin and it never returns to its original former self.
    [/quote]

How can I be wrong if I had a quartar of an inch of loose skin around my waist? I think Drill intructors know what they are talking about and I just went through the experiance? I know a lot of people who have had the same exact problem and they fixed it by water and and exerise. Thats the beauty about skin because its living tissue unlike a balloon. Our bodies adapt to how we treat it and the eniroment we put it through and it will adapt to anything we put it through. Our bodies can be put through more then our minds can imagine and its all mind over matter when it comes to Weight loss and exersice. We had a kid almost 300lb who had lost almost 150lbs and had loose skin all over his midsection and lost it the same exact way.
  • harmonysdream
    harmonysdream Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    How can I be wrong if I had a quartar of an inch of loose skin around my waist? I think Drill intructors know what they are talking about and I just went through the experiance? I know a lot of people who have had the same exact problem and they fixed it by water and and exerise. Thats the beauty about skin because its living tissue unlike a balloon. Our bodies adapt to how we treat it and the eniroment we put it through and it will adapt to anything we put it through. Our bodies can be put through more then our minds can imagine and its all mind over matter when it comes to Weight loss and exersice. We had a kid almost 300lb who had lost almost 150lbs and had loose skin all over his midsection and lost it the same exact way.

You called him a kid, and you are pretty young yourself...and I think that has a lot to do with it. As we age the skin naturally looses its elasticity. Thats just life. Thats why we dont look the same at 83 as we did at 23. You were young enough and lucky enough to still have that natural elasticity. Others of us aren't that fortunate. Your method will work for the lucky people who have the right skin type and are within the right age range, but not for the rest of us.
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options

You called him a kid, and you are pretty young yourself...and I think that has a lot to do with it. As we age the skin naturally looses its elasticity. Thats just life. Thats why we dont look the same at 83 as we did at 23. You were young enough and lucky enough to still have that natural elasticity. Others of us aren't that fortunate. Your method will work for the lucky people who have the right skin type and are within the right age range, but not for the rest of us.

This^....
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    wrong, wrong, wrong.

[/quote]

I am not doubting that you had success, but come on, a quarter of an inch of skin? I am talking about serious loose skin. I had 2-3 inches of excess skin. I guess that is the difference!
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Here on Long Island, we had a plastic surgeon visit our bariatric surgery support group. She told me that there are certain procedures that health insurance will cover with a little bit of effort. The tummy tuck in the front (not in the back) is pretty easy to have covered, assuming it is significant "enough". Bat wings, no. Breast lift, probably, especially if there is chafing and discomfort. Most of the other stuff is out of pocket.

She said VERY VERY few people who have lost significant amounts (over 50-60 pounds) of weight can "tighten it up" unless they are very young and haven't been heavy for very long AND have a certain skin type, but it is NOT the norm.

Oh, and you have to have been stable at your current weight for a minimum amount of time.....I THINK 18 months, not sure.

And of course a plastic surgeon would have no interest in having people have surgery to correct loose skin would they?

Actually it wasnt a plastic surgeon surgeon that told me initially. It was my primary care doc, and then my ob/gyn who told me I would need surgery if I really wanted to get rid of the excess skin. Even had they not tell me though it was pretty obvious after 10 years of cardio/weights etc that the skin was going nowhere.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    laddyboy, I think you look great. But you have to do what matters to you. I'm praying if I ever lose the weight, I have only that much.

Thank you and thank you to everybody else. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread but I've been, (how do I say it without sounding like i'm whinning), patiently waiting and hoping. It's gotten better but I am getting older...everyday as a matter fact...LOL
    I just keep working and working.
    Thanks for all the input. You guys rock.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    wrong, wrong, wrong.

Buddy?? You're 23...let it rest. 23 yr olds really can't speak for the rest of those having lost weight and ended up with loose skin, why even try and fight to be right. 23 is very young, drill sergeant or not:laugh: , you have baby skin, so comparing yourself to everyone else doesn't really fit in this situation.:noway:
  • I'm only 20 and I'm damn worried about this I have been overweight since I've been 12, my starting weight was 245lbs and I'm aiming to get down to 125lbs even though I'm young I'm worried that after loosing 120lbs I'll have some skin sagging :(
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well this is a depressing one :sad: I have gone from 205lb to 143lb and still have a way to go but after 3kids the skin on my stomach is really hanging and on my inner thighs looks like curtains. There is no way I can afford surgery so looks like I'm stuck with it. I just hope it will get a bit better
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options

Thank you and thank you to everybody else. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread but I've been, (how do I say it without sounding like i'm whinning), patiently waiting and hoping. It's gotten better but I am getting older...everyday as a matter fact...LOL
    I just keep working and working.
    Thanks for all the input. You guys rock.

Lol @ laddyboy - yes you look pretty good man
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I do have some loose skin,but not enough that I would consider major surgery--or even Minor Surgery if there is such a thing!! It is different for everyone, I am sure, but Strength Training and Drinking plenty of water will help your own Genetics. If age is on your side, you have a better chance of your skin 'Recovering' if you give it time (I have heard it may take a couple of years after you lose the weight for your skin to tighten up). No idea if that is accurate.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I do. I lost 80kg (176lbs) and I have excess skin on my boobs, legs & arms. I really really hate it! It hasn't gotten better in time either, even with strength training I still don't see any difference, I am still trying to lose weight but sometimes I feel so frustrated that I can't wear dresses and things because I am insecure about the excess skin on my legs. I am considering surgery at this rate!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options

everyone's body is not like yours....best not to make generalizations that aren't based on fact.