40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Power Line PPR200X Power Rack: Installed and Ready to Rock-N-Roll :D

2525704_1394.jpg

*sdereski: In a funny way, it is easier for me to do it at home than to go out to a gym. One less obstacle to over come, no excuses available to not do it :D Hope your leg heals up for ya!

*LP: grats on the 130 miles!
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well everyone I've stuck with my plan. Run Monday....DONE. Bike Tuesday...DONE. Strength training Wens......Done and Ran again today. Went to Week 4 of C25K with a 3 min, 5 min, 3 min, 5 min run with rest walks inbetween. Felt really good....I even had the briefest of thoughts that I might actually like running.:tongue: Had a good clean eating day today too. Tomorrow is my sons flute recital so I'm taking the day off except for maybe a little stationary biking. Going to treat myself to the football game tonight if there is one. Only 2 more days to weigh in.....so excited! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

FINALLY the rain is going away!! At least for a day or two...

ladypersia, judging from your elevation of 2000 feet, I'd say you live in the Mt. Pocono-Monroe Co. area. NE Penn has been hit very hard recently, hasn't it?

Friday check in. Still doing pretty well with my diet and exercise. I just need to keep doin' what I'm doin' and everything will be fine (at least until the holidays)!!

Going to an Oktoberfest tomorrow evening at the Reading Liederkranz. Prost!! On Saturday evening we are going Wilkes-Barre to hear a brass ensemble from Munich, Germany. Only 8 months until Germany-Austria!

Stiring, are you out there? Miss ya!!

Have a great weekend!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Just time for a quick check-in for me right now. I've been out and about all week with DH who had some leave he needed to use before Saturday. And, of course, we turn around next week and go to Florida to visit my in-laws. Hopefully I'll be back to regular reading/posting in a couple of weeks. I hope!

Like the rest of you in the northeast, we've had our share of rain lately, but I think that's finally going away after tomorrow. I hope so. I love rain but the ground is just much too saturated right now. Not fun.

All is going well. I'm finishing my second half of my Insanity/Asylum rotation today, and am still enjoying the results. But I do think it is time to move on to something else for a little while. My eating is all right....not great but all right. I'm holding my weight, and that makes me happy.

alf, I did see your question about fat grams. I really don't have much of an answer to be honest. I try to focus on eating a good balanced diet and don't focus too much on micro or macro nutrients. I simply try to make sure I have a little fat, a little more protein, and some carbs at every meal. And that seems to be serving me well, especially if I keep my proteins and carbs in a reasonable balance. My body likes more protein than carbs, but I don't notice anything with fat (unless they are bad fat grams coming from crap food!)

I hope you all have a great weekend and week next week. I'll be back soon!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!!

Sing..yes Blakeslee..I live on the hill across from Boulder(Lake Harmony) I can see the lifts from our back patio.

SwissM- My sons bus picks him up at 6am so we are up at five. Today I missed the bus( talking about a healthy breakfast) and I had to drive him to school. The bear decided my garbage smelled better than others and spread it all over the field. Its wet and yiky....As I was driving to school I swiped the nose off a deer. Didn't even phase him but scared the *ell out of me. No damage, just a few calories burned up. If this is any indication of what my weekend will hold. I'm staying home. My treadmill has not worked in weeks, so I have to modify my walk and take hikes. Right now the bears are running around trying to get fatter and im walking around trying to stay fit...The irony.

Hewho is- That machine is a beaut. Work hard and enjoy.

Have a wonderful weekend

-Kim
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Going to my first Bikram yoga class!!! A little nervous...LOL wish me luck! I will post later today. Have a great day everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, what is a Bikram yoga class? That is one that I have never heard of. But then, I really do not much at all about yoga.

:flowerforyou: Kim, I feel so sorry about your Friday. So frustrating. Hopefully, the rest of the weekend will be much better.:heart:

:flowerforyou: stiring, your picture looks great !! I guess my body responds like yours. I had to cut back on the carbs and up the protein and I began to lose.

:grumble: We are gettting more rain today. Sing, send me some of your dry weather.

:flowerforyou: crewell, let us know how your weigh-in goes.

I received the groups standings for the challenge at work. Out of 28, we are # 23. Well, it could be worse. :ohwell: Three of us have lost more than 5 pounds a piece while the fourth one gained one pound.
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Barbell Weight Lifting Day: Squats, Seated Overhead Press, Deadlifts.

Reached a personal goal of mine today. Broke 200lbs at 5 reps on the Deadlift :) Still pretty low for weight lifters, but I am getting there. Next Deadlift goal is 300lbs at 5 reps :D

My FID (Flat/Incline/Decline) bench came in today, so my home gym is as complete as it's gonna get for awhile. Need to stop spending money for awhile, lol.

[img]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff62/Hewhois_photos/Mobile Pics/IMG_20110930_182044.jpg[/img]

*Crew: Good job!!

*singfree: glad you are getting a break from the rain!

*alf: How did Bikram go?

*Becky: Everyone is a winner that has lost :D
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey there, everyone! Happy weekend! I've been away for a while, but I'm working to get back in the old saddle.
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Victorious: Good to see you..... welcome back!

Everyone else hello too! A bit bummed today. Hadn't lost any on weigh in :grumble: so I just have to refer back to one of my earlier posts about maintaining. Was able to keep my eating under control today even after the major bummer.....at least under control for me.....this is getting better but still isn't where I would like it. :explode: I'll just keep plugging along. Hope everyone has a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    I posted these awhile back in a Blog I did. Thought it might be useful to some of you here as well :) None of it is new, just stuff I gathered and put into one place for easy reference. It helped me lose my weight and maintain my current fitness goals.

· NO SODA, not even diet
    · No alcohol, not even lite (I know, that is hard for many, but at the very least cut it back to one or two drinks a week)
    · Drink TONS of water
    · No refined sugars (don’t worry about sugars in fruit, honey (in moderation), and vegetables)
    · No refined flour (eat pasta and breads that are whole grain and whole wheat instead)
    · Exercise at least 3 days a week, ideally 6 days a week. Even if at the start it is just a short walk, you will gradually increase the intensity until you are going at it full bore. Set times and dates for the workouts, then DO THEM.
    · Set realistic goals. Short term and long term.
    · If you eat meat, then eat lean meat. Lean turkey, extra lean beef, fish, etc
    · Watch the sodium intake. Read the nutrition label before you buy/eat it.
    · Watch the saturated fats
    · Go public with what you are doing. Tell your friends, your enemies, and the person next to you at the checkout in the grocery store. Public accountability is a big motivator.
    · Take pics and measurements of where you are at right now. Pics should be of you in your underwear and from every conceivable angle. Also take some pics of you wearing pants and shirt that you like that are just too tight for you right now.
    · Make sure you are eating the right amount of calories. Too little is just as bad as too much.

But of course, the most important part of any get fit plan is YOU. Decide, Commit, Succeed!
  • hewhoiscd
    Options
    Barbell Lifting Day: Squats, Bench Press, Bent Over Rows

Had planned on doing Glute Bridges as well, but ran out of time and energy. Not to mention I was starving at the end, lol.

Went for a ride on my motorcycle this afternoon. Awesome weather these days.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good evening!

Back to work again...where does the weekend go? We had a wonderful weekend, especially the Oktoberfest on Friday night. It was a blast. After all the carbs I've consumed this weekend, I need to clean up my act again this week. I was a bit lazy over the weekend, only doing a short workout today.

Not too much else to report.

Have a great day!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :mad: I was horrible again this past weekend. Happens all the time. Can't be good while at home. I think I am up by about 2 pounds but I know that being careful for the next two days will work and I will be back to my before weekend weight. I over-ate and didn't even go anywhere. All my meals were at home.:huh:

:flowerforyou: Hi Nicole. I am glad that you are back. I missed your smiling face.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good evening!

Not only is it rainy here, it's downright COLD!!! It did not get out of the 50s today, and it is now 47 and drizzling right now. I was tempted to turn on the fireplace today!!

Nothing much to report from here folks. I did a good workout at the gym and also did part of a P90X workout at home. My problem is eating too much of the wrong stuff. Swiss, I think we are two of a kind!

Have a great day!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My husband had the fireplace going yesterday Sing. The house was damp and cold. I dont mind the cold but this weather is different. Very draining. Layers are not working becasue once the chill sets in it in. I like to workout out side and the field is saturated.

Today is 45 and more rain is expected.

Have a great day everyone.

Kim
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Hope you are all having a good week so far....

Let's see, there isn't much new and exciting here. We have been trying to get outside sporadically while dodging the rain--there has been a ton, and one reason why I'm still dodging painters outside my house. It's been a whole month since they started--Grrrr.

For exercise, I have been mixing it up a little more. I have been cycling No more trouble Zones w/Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (a killer!), and then the Elliptical on some days and walks with friends on others. It has been nice to have these walks but I do find that doing the strength exercises a little less often during the week makes me itch for more..... But it's fall and beautiful (even when rainy)--i must get outside. And, my friends are not like me yet--they need the push to get their bums up and out--so I'm kind of doing them a favor by making these exercise dates with them. I don't know what it is, but as I become more fit, it seems all my other friends are going the opposite route. Is this what happens to the general population when we are 40+? And when we get together this is always the topic of conversation--I wonder if it's because I seemingly have my act together and they don't--so I get to hear about all the things that are keeping them from being more active. Kind of a weird trend.

Eating seems to be ok, although I have been super-hungry lately. I upped my maintenance calories slightly last week and have had no problem filling the days to the new level, and then some. I haven't weighed lately but everything still feels great so I'm crossing my fingers this higher level can stay for awhile.....

Swiss, sounds like cutting yourself a little slack on the weekends and maybe making up for it during the week would work for you? I kind of do that--not really the weekend itself, but I have at least 2 days where I go over and a few days are under and when you average calories, it all works out just fine. Thinking about it this way really helps me not feel guilty about the up days--it's just living life, something we all need to do. My other trick is to never weigh after these big eating days! Keeps you from getting depressed. I really only weigh myself after I have fish for dinner and no wine the night before.... :wink: It has to be a really sure thing that I'll see good news on the scale or I avoid it at all costs!

Chris--I forgot where you are located where you are having awesome motorcycling weather??! Lucky you!

Sing--how do you like PX90?

have a good day all!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Will catch up later....please pray for my SIL about to have a C-section. I will soon meet my new niece!!! She has gestational diabetes so she is having baby early. Hugs!! :flowerforyou:
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Hey All, sorry I've been lurking for a while.

Yesterday, my gym started a "Biggest Winner" challenge. I joined for the motivation rather than a prize, but a prize is always nice. Its about 9 weeks, and they are offering a lot of extra exclusive classes for $40. I went to one last night. Its amazing, that I can do as much cardio as I do, and then be crap at these other kinds of exercises. So, today, I'm going to start tracking my food again, and really try to stick to it even through my vacay next week.
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Zebras!!! so great to hear from you.

Alf prayers to your SIL.

My mom had to have emergency surgery on Sunday for intestinal blockage due to scar tissue from her hernia repair the beginning of August. She is doing very well and may get to go home tomorrow. My siblings in Mississippi are taking care of her so that I can go to Tucson this weekend for a friend's daughter's wedding.

I have a week off from my cycle/yoga class. I am going to sign up for a spin class on Saturdays. We will not see the trainer next week due schedule conflicts. I am hoping to get mutliple workouts in during the next two weeks.

We will take everyone's rain here in Texas. At least it is not still triple digits with the heat. Need to get back to work. Take care all! TxMs