Question about heart rate and exercise

Options
What is the difference b/t the fat burn and the cardio heart rate? Which is better for you? Why?

What is considered too high of a heart rate when I exercise??? I am 35, in very good shape physically. My target heart rate according to the trainer at my gym is 149-156. Pending what I am doing there are times when it goes above this, just not for super long periods of time. I guess I just need to know if that is okay. I assume it is okay b/c I don't feel bad or anything when I do, but I just wanted to make sure I was not doing more harm than good.

Any and all input welcomed! Thanks

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    What is the difference b/t the fat burn and the cardio heart rate? Which is better for you? Why?

What is considered too high of a heart rate when I exercise??? I am 35, in very good shape physically. My target heart rate according to the trainer at my gym is 149-156. Pending what I am doing there are times when it goes above this, just not for super long periods of time. I guess I just need to know if that is okay. I assume it is okay b/c I don't feel bad or anything when I do, but I just wanted to make sure I was not doing more harm than good.

Any and all input welcomed! Thanks
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    most doctors say not to exceed 90% for any extended period. 80 to 90 is the "fat burn" area I believe, 70 to 80 is the cardio area.

Did you need to know what each area does specifically or were you just looking for ranges?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    The target HR is based on 220 minus age times .75-.85.

Here is a more accurate HR test:
    http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm

it's called the Karvonen HR. It takes into account your resting HR.

My HR goes over sometimes too. I don't worry about it if it's under a minute. It's more worrisome if you are not in shape.

Fat burn is just a measure of what your body uses to process calories. I would go for the cardio as it's better for your heart and burns more calories.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    most doctors say not to exceed 90% for any extended period. 80 to 90 is the "fat burn" area I believe, 70 to 80 is the cardio area.

Did you need to know what each area does specifically or were you just looking for ranges?

On most machines "fat burn" is 60-75% - I believe.
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    I was told if you want to burn fat keep your heart rate at 65% for 30 mins and if you want to burn carbs keep your heart rate at 85%. It could be wrong but I have lost 9 pounds in a week with fast walking and before only 2 pounds with running and aerobics and stuff like that.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Thanks for the 411. I just wanted to be sure that what I was doing was okay and actually doing my body good.

I really started paying attn to my heartrate when doing cardio a month or so ago and I try to keep it above 150 after the first minute and until cool down. I have seen some results since I started doing this...not so much on the scale but in my clothes. I quit reading while on the bike and found that I pedal much faster when I am more aware of my heartrate. Today while running on the TM my heart rate got way up there and I wanted to make sure that was okay, which was the main reason for my original post.

So thanks again for the info. :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I might have reversed the two. I'm just going off what it says on the machine. my bad if I did.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I might have reversed the two. I'm just going off what it says on the machine. my bad if I did.

No problemo! The general gist I am getting is that the higher your heartrate the better as long as you don't go too high for too long!:smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options

On most machines "fat burn" is 60-75% - I believe.

correct.