dazed n confused

Options
I really can't wrap my brain around having to eat 2100 calories. Thats what my profile says. I have always tried to stay around 1500 cal, I don't thin i believe that I am supposed to eat that much?...Please help me because I just don't know what to do anymore

Leah

PS I am 6" and weigh 314

Replies

• donnaleahnoelle
    Options
    I really can't wrap my brain around having to eat 2100 calories. Thats what my profile says. I have always tried to stay around 1500 cal, I don't thin i believe that I am supposed to eat that much?...Please help me because I just don't know what to do anymore

Leah

PS I am 6" and weigh 314
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Do you have an active lifestyle? That does seem like a lot but it could be that you burn a lot throughout the day and they are trying to keep you from going into starvation mode in which you will not lose any weight.
  • donnaleahnoelle
    Options
    I have a moderate lifestyle, I work full time in a hospital
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Leah

PS I am 6" and weigh 314

2100 seems like a lot if your trying to lose weight why not start at 1500-1800 Of course this is all just an opinion Im not on board with the whole eating excercise calories theory on MFP. I mean I cant see if you were excercising how you would be losing weight eating over 2800 calories a day or more.. if u ate back excercise calories....Consult a Nutritionist and see what kind of numbers they give you.Seems 2100 would be to maintain your current weight but not to lose weight. MFP sometimes has glitches its a website we have to expect that as well as expecting it NOT to always be 100% hence the disclaimer at the bottom regarding consulting a physician...Its a great site but I think you could get the correct caloric intake for you from the hospital where you work.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    what is the ideal weight for your frame? 6 ft is very tall for a woman so I have no idea.
    As for your lifestyle. maybe you should go back and put in a lower lifestyle. You may over compensate for your work. Just b/c you work in a hospital doesnt mean you move alot or enough to get your heart rate up and if you have wacky hours you may tend to eat worse or more on the go not so good choices.
    Mine is at 1580 and I want to lose 30 and 5"6.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Without meaning any offence. . .you're both large and tall, so that just might be accurate. Just for comparison, my RMR (I had it tested. . .this is the bare minimum I'd need to survive bedridden) is 1560, and I'm 5'7" and around 140 lbs. My maintenance calories suggested by the site are actually too low for me, due to my muscle mass. I maintain at around 2000 calories a day (moderate daily activity and about 8 hours of working out a week).

It's not unreasonable that your maintenance calories, or even your reduced calories would be that high.

My best advice (I'm no doctor) would be to double check where you set your activity level. . .but it really doesn't seem too high to me. Why not follow the advice the site gives you, see if you lose weight? You can always adjust downwards. My theory behind this is to keep the metabolism stoked, and eat as much as you can while still losing weight and having energy. :flowerforyou: