How the he!! do you afford FAGE??

Options
So I was in my "organic" aisle at the store last night and saw that FAGE is between1 and 2 dollars a container---that is crazy!!!!How can you afford to buy that?? I had a good laugh and went and bought my dannon! LOL

Replies

• gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    So I was in my "organic" aisle at the store last night and saw that FAGE is between1 and 2 dollars a container---that is crazy!!!!How can you afford to buy that?? I had a good laugh and went and bought my dannon! LOL
  • montanamomma
    Options
    I have never even heard of FAGE.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I buy one hahaha and I buy yoplait which is never on sale in NY but it was in Ga..Gah!! I dont buy meat much anymore Ive switched to dry beans which are very inexpensive.....so I guess I save some loot on that department which allows me to splurge on Fage and Soymilk
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    greek yogurt its thicker than regular yogurt and is often used in place of sourcream I get Total 0% 90 calories no fat
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't like sour cream, so I use it as a sour cream replacement. I use the fat free and it's great. Totally worth it!

126046.png
  • tresa1234
    tresa1234 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes anywhere nearby, they have a great nonfat Greek yogurt that is lots cheaper!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, I'm excited to look for this! I tried fat free sour cream the other day and EWWWW. It's to acidic w/out the creaminess! Looking forward to a yummy sounding alternative!
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    I buy one hahaha and I buy yoplait which is never on sale in NY but it was in Ga..Gah!! I dont buy meat much anymore Ive switched to dry beans which are very inexpensive.....so I guess I save some loot on that department which allows me to splurge on Fage and Soymilk

I love 2 use dry beans, but i find them to be a llittle grainy compared to the caned bean. The caned beans have so much sodom, but I eat them because i cant make the dried bean taste good?? you have any advice???
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options

I love 2 use dry beans, but i find them to be a llittle grainy compared to the caned bean. The caned beans have so much sodom, but I eat them because i cant make the dried bean taste good?? you have any advice???
    I rinse them and soak for about 2hrs but I use spices like curry ,cumin in them...they are grainy but if you eat the smaller ones like lentils they arent bad at all
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Stonyfield makes an organic plain yogurt that is similar to Fage. It's thick and somewhat sour like greek yogurt. You can buy the really big container for about 3 dollars but not all stores carry it, so it can been hard to find. I like to mix my with a spoonful of honey....yum :)
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    thank you myastyme:smile::flowerforyou:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I buy the large containers, more for your $$$. Just a little tip...you can buy a yogurt maker and make your own greek style yogurt if money is a factor. You can find them at amazon or kitchen stores, they are about a $30 investment.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

My Mom crockpots them overnight. Her's are never grainy, but I haven't mastered them yet either.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options

Me neither--I thought it was an acronym. My first thought was that it meant:

Fitness And Gym Equipment

:laugh:
  • RiverRatChick
    RiverRatChick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think its like $6-$7 at Costco for a huge container of it. Pretty reasonable, I think....
  • susanbk53
    susanbk53 Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't buy the name brand. There are other Greek Yogurt brands that are less expensive. Chobani is one, as is Trader Joe's. Buy it in the pint or quart containers and add your own fruit and low cal sweetener.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I can afford it because I'm eating about 1/3 what I used to. :laugh:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Do you rinse your canned beans? Its a good idea.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Ya gotta try it - its darn good! However, to make something similar, just strain your dannon trhough cheese cloth - over night might make it too solid, but experiment.