Fit, Fabulous, and Pregnant-October 2011

Options
Welcome everyone!

This forum is for women who are pregnant and are maintaining their fit and active lifestyles to join with other like minded women! I've been on a board with women who were trying to conceive and I've been on a board with women who are pregnant....I wanted to start a group of women who are into fitness and will continue their fitness regimes into their pregnancies and after baby!

If you are trying to conceive please join our sister group at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/357772-fit-for-future-families-october-2011
They are beyond wonderful and will keep you motivated to stay healthy and lots of info to help with the ttc journey.

The women here are very motivational to each other. We are all at different stages of our pregnancy so if you just found out or you are at the end, please join us!

Link to our previous thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/351233-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-september-2011?page=6

"Just as a friendly reminder....this board is for women who are continuing with their fitness/health goals throughout their pregnancy...I'd love for every week all of us to put up either our weekly goals or daily goals to keep ourselves and each other accountable! I wanna hear about your sweat sessions and any new things you are trying (like a new yoga dvd, a new cardio class, or a swim rather than a hike, etc). There are lots of pregnancy boards out there but this one in particular is to keep each other motivated to lift those weights, do that warrior pose, shake your bums, run that extra mile, and hike that hill! So as we relax on this Sunday afternoon I want you all to think about the goals you'd like to strive for yourself for the upcoming week. So feed those bodies/babies yummy healthy meals, drink that water, find time to destress and relax, and prepare for the sweat sessions that will occur this week!"

FAQ:
How many calories should I be eating?
During the first trimester most of us eat maintenance calories and most of our exercise calories. During the second and third trimester we add approx 200-300 calories or set it up on MFP to gain 1/2lb a week. If you are a healthy BMI you should gain between 25-35ish pounds. NOBODY should DIET while pregnant. Eating healthy is one thing, but depriving you and your baby of much needed nutrients during this crucial time is so very important!

Should I keep my heart rate under 140 during pregnancy?
"If you exercised regularly before pregnancy, there's no need to focus on your heart rate for exercise during pregnancy.

Years ago, some experts recommended a heart rate of no more than 140 beats a minute for exercise during pregnancy. Today, however, heart rate limits aren't typically imposed during pregnancy. For healthy women, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity — preferably spread throughout the week — without any specific heart rate limits.

Still, reasonable precautions for exercise during pregnancy are important. Get your health care provider's OK for any exercise during pregnancy — especially if you have a history of preterm labor or certain medical conditions, such as high blood pressure. Also, be careful to pace yourself appropriately. In general, you should be able to carry on a conversation while you're exercising. If you can't speak normally while you're working out, you're probably pushing yourself too hard. This could lead to vaginal bleeding, uterine contractions or other problems." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-during-pregnancy/AN01560

Great articles and reference material for why it is so important to continue working out during your pregnancy!

http://www.fitpregnancy.com/workouts/prenatal-workouts/truth-about-prenatal-exercise
http://www.fitpregnancy.com/workouts/prenatal-workouts/33-reasons-exercise-now
http://www.baby2see.com/pregnancy_weight_calculator.html

Replies

• batgirlrox
    Options
    Midnite- That's awesome you're keeping up with your walks and loving it makes it even better! I hope the eating healthy choices until you're full goes better. Keep that baby growing and healthy!

Ashley- I have already felt WAY more forgetful and absent minded lately. It's been so obvious lately I'm sure my co-workers are going to pick up on that soon and start asking questions haha.

Kristy-Don't feel bad about a single splurge like that. We all need it once and a while! Hope you have a great ultrasouns next week!

babeed-Sorry about the glucose testing. I'm hoping it can be controlled for you with just eating and you not have to go onto insulin or anything! *hugs* Just try to stay positive sometimes our bodies do weird things to us. I'm glad your husband was able to help pick up your spirits!

Rayna- I hope your prenatal classes were good. I'm glad your yoga teacher has alternatives that still keep u working hard :) I'm so excited to have my own little ultrasound pictures. I'm glad they are so clear and perfect for you! Good on you for knitting...I tried it once for about 2 weeks with the assistance of my MIL and failed miserably so the yarn and my knitting needles are still in a bag in my closet hehe.

Belgian- I'm glad you made it past the early premature stage!

Atomdraco- YAY congrats!

MadBabys-Congrats!

Karen- Welcome! We have the same EDC so hope we can keep each other motivated throughout the entire thing. Congrats on the pre-pregnancy weight loss!

Luna- Eekk I can understand your frusterations. I hope yuo get your U/S soon. I may go crazy if I have to wait until 22 weeks!

H_82- I had never heard of the test until you mentioned it here. You will have to let us know if it is right! Good luck on the upcoming ultrasound!

I'm still feeling great and have had no signs of morning sickness yet, YAY. I was very fearful it was going to be horrible but so far so good :) I've had a great weekend with my family so far. We went to Cirque du Soliel yesterday afternoon and it was awesome. Then came home and walked the dogs with my Hubby so although there was a fair amount of sitting around yesterday I still got some activity in!

I'm not sure why because I haven't changed much that I can figure out in diet or exercise but I'm already down 4.5 pounds in my first trimester. I have been drinking a TON of water since I've cut out my diet Pepsi's and that's really all I've changed. Guess I'll have to ask about that at my first doctors appointment although if the trend keeps up until then I'll be down 9 or so pounds. which seems a little excessive!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    Amanda
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Heather-thanks for the new October board! I posted on the Sept yesterday :laugh:
    Oh wow, glad to hear your both doing good. I admire that you still go to spin, and hope your muscle gets better soon.

Well it's a nice Sunday out, hope everyone is having a great day.

My cousin told me I'm a showing now, and yes I believe it. I have to share with you ladies, I am still feeling breast tenderness, and when I get home after work I I take the bra off. Is anyone feeling the same?

I made a 30 min walk yesterday, so glad keeping these muscles worked out.
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Quick catchup...

Congrats atomdraco! A boy and a girl...how perfect! :)

Great job madbabysmama! Sounds like you have a full plate and will be a very busy lady!

Rayna sounds like an awesome workout! Way to go! I used to (and still do every once in a while) sit and stare at the pictures of Charlee's ultrasound. It seems like such a strange concept that this little person who I can't wait to meet is actually inside of me! How amazing is the concept of life?! :)

babeed sorry to hear about your test results. Now more than ever it is so very important to make sure you are filling your body with healthy foods...which I'm sure your doc has gone over extensively with you! Has your doctor restricted you from walking? I have pcos with insulin resistance and before I got pregnant ate like a diabetic (for the most part) so I am very aware of the food restrictions and how much it stinks to not be able to eat the "yummy goodies" and instead reach for the berries and cheese stick. But eating this way should make you feel so much better and is a wonderful way to eat even after baby. This is the plan that I used before I got pregnant (The Diet Solution) that crosses over during pregnancy http://www.whattoeatwhilepregnant.com/ It is an awesome "clean" eating plan. I also recommend the Brewers Diet as well. Good luck with everything!

Well I ended up in the doctor's office on Friday after my Spinning class... I did fine during the Spinning portion but then when everyone else was doing abs I decided to get on the ball and do some ab planks.... Well I ended up straining my oblique muscle and got this horrid sharp stabbing pain. So they had me come in and do a nonstress test just to make sure the baby was okay (which she was awesome). I just over did it...and that is so hard for me to admit. The doc just said to take it easy this weekend. I didn't do anything "wrong" per say...I guess I just overworked that muscle. I'm feeling a lot better and plan on going on a hike tomorrow morning.

I hope you all have had an amazingly wonderful healthy weekend! Relax those minds and bodies and be ready to get back at sweating it out tomorrow! :)
  • 9Honey16
    9Honey16 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    *Bump*
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why there weren't any posts in the other thread lately...now I know why...it's October!!! ;)
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    BeliganLady, praying for you and those sweet little babies!

Elce, sorry to hear about your scare and hope you are doing better.

Amanda, great job on the run, keep it up!

Cindy, take care of yourself and try to ease up on worrying about the calories in. I know how terribly hard it is to see the numbers go up on the scale, especially when you worked so hard to lose weight. The precious baby that is going to come into the world is so very worth gaining those pounds for!! As we often talk about here, remember good, healthy foods in will give you and the baby all the great nutritional benefits and will make it that much easier for losing the weight afterward. Good luck and remember we are all rooting for you!

Brenda, ugh! The fridge! Great job on your workouts though - sometimes when the world isn't so kind (like the fridge) I find a good sweat helps me to feel better.

Ash, hmmm...pregnancy brain. I think we all go through it and it's such a normal side effect of pregnancy. Hope you got your workout in after all.

Kristy, too late for a chicken crockpot idea for your dinner, but maybe for next time. If you like some spice - I put skinless chicken breasts or thighs in the crockpot with salsa (I use fresh, but jarred would work too), chipotle peppers/adobo sauce, and a little chili powder. Cook on high for four hours or low for eight, then shred the chicken and use for tacos. Yum!

Babeed, so sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes. I am sure your doctor will talk with you about altering your diet for the remainder of your pregnancy. Might even be good to have a meeting or two with a Registered Dietician who can help you set nutritional goals. I will pray that all goes well and that your levels return to normal after delivery!

Atomdraco, yeah!! a girl!!!! How exciting!!!!!

Misti, any news for us??

Taldie, hope you got your run in. Think of me and how much I'd love to be joining you - hopefully just a couple more weeks and my doctor will clear me to ease back into working out.

Madbabymama, congratulations to you on your dissertation! What a great accomplishment!! Care to share your topic?

Welcome Karen, let us know how you are doing and what your workout preferences are.

Heather, as always, thank you for keeping us together and on track! Hope you and baby Charlee are good :-)

As for me, I totally broke the rules the past two days and walked my dogs while pushing Ellie in the stroller. Opps! It feels so good to be back outside and moving. I have been pushing a little past my 20-30 minutes too, but am still taking it quite easy. Just a few more weeks and hopefully the restrictions will be gone. Good new is I got six walks in this week so I surpassed my goal of five. Yeah!

Wishing everyone great nutritional choices and fantastic workouts!

Holly
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump for later ;)
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Just quickly checking in. I've gotten some walking and cleaning in this weekend and done ok with eating well. It's definitely fall in KY! I'll check back tomorrow.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's October, where did the summer go? My goals this week are to get back to the gym, I went twice this week, which was once more than the previous week. This week I want to go at least 3 times to get back into the groove!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all of my fit and fabulous mommy to be's (and mommies)! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are now ready to jump into the week well rested and ready to conquer all of your goals!

Holly sounds like you and I like to push the envelope...not a bad quality in life to have I say. :) Glad you are doing well and getting in your walks. Soon enough you will be running again and this will all be a past memory. Hope little Miss Ellie is doing well.

Madbabysmama I'm right there with you! I can't believe how this entire year has flown by! It amazes me every single year how the time flies faster and faster the older I get. My mom always said that would happen when I'd sit around during the summers bored out of mind when I was in school! lol Great goal!

Well after my little episode last Friday of the strained muscle I'm going to test things out and go for a hike today. The weather once again is supposed to be perfect. Mother nature is definitely making up for last winter and this past summer with a beautiful mild Fall...and I love it! Tomorrow are our maternity pictures and I was so worried that I was going to be freezing in some of the dresses I had picked out....but tomorrow is a high of 82*F and sunny! Can't hardly complain. The leaves are changing here, which makes it that much more beautiful to take some pics outside! I hope they turn out great!

I hope all of you ladies have a wonderful, healthy day!
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your hike, and I hope you get some wonderful pictures of this special time in your life!
  • jchecca
    jchecca Posts: 131
    Options
    morning to all and happy October!

Heather and Madbabysmama...third that...I can not believe we're into the fall and summer has come to a close. The months go by so fast and so did this past weekend! Where does the time go!!!

I have my first prenatal yoga class on Wednesday...totally looking forward to it! its an hour and 15 minutes...so it should be a good workout!! I guess I am just hoping they don't go 'easy' on us preggos!

Goals for the week:
    eat healthy meals and at least one good sized salad a day
    no BIG desserts
    exercise for 45 minutes (at least) 5 times this week
    drink at least 8 cups of water a day
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Well...this weekend was...okay. I did not meet all my goals from last week...did not get in a single run! What a bummer! Did get in my strength/cardio workouts as planned, and only one day of yoga this week. But...it's a new week...time to get back to business!

Goals this week:
    1. Run/jog/walk...2 times
    2. Strength/cardio...3 times
    3. Yoga...2 times
    4. Drink LOTS of water!
    5. No unaccounted for snacking!

Wednesday I will be 13 weeks! Excited to start on my Second Trimester workouts! YAY! And I have been feeling much better in the evenings! So, I know that I'm almost done with this first haul! YAY! ANYways...gotta get to some work!! Happy Monday everyone!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Didn't run this weekend like I would have liked, but we did walk around a lot while shopping on Saturday. lol We bought some more Fall decor so I got the house looking nice and lit some pumpkin candles. :) Yesterday was a football day. (Go Packers!) I ate crappy yesterday, but I'm not too worried about it. Eric will be flying nights this week so I'll be going to the gym by myself, which isn't so bad because he's usually done before I am (he doesn't do much cardio) and then I have to leave before I'm finished with my hour of cardio. So this should be a good week at the gym for me. :)
    I got my pregnancy first nose bleed last night. I used to get them all the time as a kid in Oklahoma during the dry winter months, but haven't had one since. Last night I was sitting on the couch and blood just started running out of my nose. Eric freaked out and ran to the bathroom with me to help clean me up. lol He was like, "Why does that happen?! That's so weird!" lol

Goals for this week: 3-4 days cardio, 2 days yoga, and walk the dogs more.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Kristy ~ Get used to the bloody noses. I think I've had about 5 so far. They don't seem to want to stop once they get going either, looks like a blood bath after! Last night was the lightest one it's been. No fun! Are you from Wisconsin!? (me too....if it doesn't say it in my profile)...
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm from Oklahoma, but have been a Packers fan since high school. :) I lived in Washington state for almost 6 years and am now in Maryland. Gotta love the military. :)
  • aimeeclaire
    aimeeclaire Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Happy October!

11 Weeks.

I didn't get much exercise in this weekend which was disappointing. My in-laws came to visit and we finally told them we are expecting! It was fun to see their reaction. My MIL went shoping for baby things.

@Kristy and H_82 - GO PACKERS!! :) I am about 100miles from GB.

Goals this week:
    5 Days - 45 Minutes of Cardio
    8+ glasses of water
    Better logging
  • krystie99
    krystie99 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I was hoping I could join your group. I've previously been a very dedicated MFPer and ran/do bootcamp as my main workouts. Since getting pregnant I was pretty sick but I think I've finally turned the corner! I'm ready to get back to logging, working out, and gaining slow and steady weight for the baby. I look forward to getting to know you! (ps GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  • BelgianLady
    Options
    Holly, am I seeing right? is your pic right after delivery???? Its unbelievable!!! I hope all is well with you and Ellie.

Heather you're doing great, I can see you exercise until delivery day :-) and go straight to your prepregnancy weight or even below.

Congrats to all of you with goal setting for this week, and good luck in keeping up with them.

My goals this week are:
    -rest until doctor's visit next Thursday (lol harder than exercising !)
    -max 30 mins gentle walk per day
    -drink plenty of water
    -use compulsory rest time in a positive way

Have a great week everybody!