Glycemic Index Gurus?? anybody

Options
Anyone know of a good site or source to check a variety of foods for their GI effect? I've been eating alot of sweet potatoes, brown rice and black beans....but looking for good carbs. Also a source thats accurate. thanks

chris (aka sarge the toecutter)

Replies

• xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Anyone know of a good site or source to check a variety of foods for their GI effect? I've been eating alot of sweet potatoes, brown rice and black beans....but looking for good carbs. Also a source thats accurate. thanks

chris (aka sarge the toecutter)
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Low GI carbs

Wholegrain bread
    Wholemeal pasta
    Quinoa

Look for wholegrain, wholemeal on the label.
    Don't really know of a low GI site, in the UK foods are labelled as GI Low if that's the case
  • xsargex
    Options
    thanks bro. I guess I hear alot of people say, "oh no stay away from pasta and bread", so the numbers is what interests me. Is eating whole grain as opposed to white bread just a better alternative....or really a great source of good (low GI) carbs. Know what I'm saying?

nice suit by the way, ha
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You can google 'glycemic index' and several websites with extensive lists will come up. However, GI isn't a deciding factor of what's healthy. A banana is high GI. A Snickers is low GI.
  • oatmealie
    oatmealie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Check out www.gidiet.com

There are different sections for the US, Canada and Britain. It is by Rick Gallop, the guy who wrote all the GI Diet books, which are a good read. Hope that helps!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Check out this article...
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/plans/diets/the-slow-carb-diet/

On page 5, there's a list of food items and their glycemic index numbers.

It's not comprehensive by any means, but the pattern I see is that items that are higher in fiber and/or protein have lower GI numbers. So, whole grains, veggies, whole fruits and lean protein seem to be good choices.
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

found a great article at this site :drinker:
  • xsargex
    Options
    i meant, slow carbs...not just low carbs.
  • pjthomas
    pjthomas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found the GI Diet by Rick Gallop to be pretty helpful. He has a little pocket book for eating out and grocery shopping that I take with me every day cause when you're looking at popcorn and trail mix and trying to decide what your better choice, it's friggin tough!

Do a lot of reading, it helped me......