Food addict

Options
Help! I am a food addict. I constantly think about food. Then I feel bad when I even stray a little which in turn causes me to stray a lot. I do well for a while, lose some weight, then crash and burn again. its not a matter of hunger or feeling full...its just something I always want to do. Does anyone else feel this way? What do you do about it?

Replies

• alacyt
    Options
    I used to feel that way before I started counting calories. But doing that made food more about math, not emotion. I don't feel guilty when I have an ice cream cone after dinner if I know I've got 500 calories left for the day. Enjoy your food and know your limits.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I love it. I went on a three week detox recently and though my willpower was strong and I didn't stray, I was getting depressed. I realized how much I rely on food to bring me joy.
  • mdorisi
    mdorisi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict too. I was trying HCG (I know enter the boo hiss here) and though I did alright for 2 weeks I realized that my social life revolves around food and drink, and no matter how much I crash diet, I need to actually learn MODERATION. I'm trying but man it's amazing how much power food has over me. It's almost sad!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yep... I too am addicted to food... I love this site. I love knowing how many calories and watching how the exercise helps me... but I know that if I am not very careful... if I "let myself have something" that is a trigger for me... that I can ruin an entire day.

I've been on a weight loss roller coaster my entire life. I've lost it all, gained it all, lost part, gained that plus, lost part, gained almost all of that... etc. We all know the drill.

The hardest thing for me is knowing when to stop. I don't eat because I'm hungry. If that were true I'd hardly ever eat. I eat because it TASTES GOOD. I eat because I'M BORED. I eat because I'M DEPRESSED. I eat because I DON'T CARE ANYMORE...

Well, that's the past. I'm trying to make it better now... I have not gone over my calories except for on days when I absolutely expected to because of planned events that I made room for in my lifestyle. I have, however, thought that I could bake a nice pumpkin cake ... and turned out that as I sliced a piece it, I kept cutting a little bit off and eating that, a little bit off and eat that... oh, what will a little piece do? I ended up having to throw it out or eat the whole damn thing.

That's my problem. Control.

I'm still working on it. I just continue thinking that eventually I will have worked my way out of it by learning what I can and can't do to meet my goals.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm in the same boat. But I’ve gotten a lot better. once I educated myself on calories I realize all the same things! It sucks to be addicted to food but I think counting calories kind of brain washes you in a good way.... you'll learn you can have anything you want if you can budget it into your daily calories. That's why I love this method of weight loss. Because I’m not deprived and you learn the feeling of hunger and being full instead of "well I’m not full anymore so what else can I eat??"
    Thankfully I have learned a lot!
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me is knowing when to stop. I don't eat because I'm hungry. If that were true I'd hardly ever eat. I eat because it TASTES GOOD. I eat because I'M BORED. I eat because I'M DEPRESSED. I eat because I DON'T CARE ANYMORE...

^This is the exact same voice in my head!^
  • catlover98611
    catlover98611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict. Years ago I gave up drinking and drugs and turned to food about 15 years ago. I still remember the event that kicked it into high gear *sigh* Fast forward 14 years, in Oct of 09 I fell into a deep deep depression that ended in months of anxiety and insomnia and each night I medicated with a bowl of mac and cheese with tuna and onions and red peppers--true story---I ate that at night before going to bed for about a year. Then in Nov 10 I heard of a food addiction group in my hometown that was just starting. I joined the following Tuesday and have had great success in all 3 areas of addiction: body, mind, spirit.

Things that have helped me are:
    1. committing my food the night before, I write what I will eat and then I stick to it
    2. weighing or measuring my food, then I don't overeat
    3. avoiding sugar and flour, they trigger the addiction, just like smelling cola triggers the drinking urge
    4. attending meetings and speaking with my sponsor

I lost 68 pounds in about 7 months and have kept it off for 8 weeks so far. The peace and serenity I have found are immeasurable.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I love food as well, but I don't let food control my life any more. Its not easy stopping when you're full. It was hard to accept that just 2 pieces of cheese pizza fills me up...any more than that and I'm just eating because it tastes good.

Anyway, here's something that might help you....PLANNING. plan your healthy meals ahead of time. then prepare a grocery list for the items needed to make those meals. go to your local grocery store and buy only those items on your list. prepare your meals and eat them. its really as simple as "out of sight, out of mind". I have to avoid getting certain things in the house because I know I will eat them...and eat more than I should of them. I always do better during weeks when I follow these guidelines and prepare a majority of my food (yes, I'm the one who cooks my meals; I don't rely on my wife to do that). Its important to take time for yourself to plan.
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Food addiction us very much a reality. I am one too! One thing that is helping me greatly is realizing the similarities between food and drug addiction and alcoholism. I work with drug addicts and expect a lot from them in their recovery to a healthy lifestyle. I am using the same model to help myself towards a state of recovery from food addiction. Unknowingly, they are such role models to me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There's lots of good ideas here, so I'll just add one:
    I find that I eat mindlessly when I'm bored, so doing something that keeps me moving (like walking or running or dancing or cleaning) or that keeps my hands busy (like knitting or crocheting or jigsaws or ... anything where you can't easily eat) is a good idea. Once I'm involved in another activity I stop thinking about food.
    Just sitting and reading or watching the TV don't distract me enough and it's too easy to eat!