do you know anything about zig zagging?

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
I'd like some information about zig zagging - I'm not sure if it's alternating workouts or calorie intake?

Replies

• Georg
    Options
    I'd like some information about zig zagging - I'm not sure if it's alternating workouts or calorie intake?
  • Sexy_N_Red
    Options
    I don't know about Zig zagging, but my pesronal trainer told me that when I was at a plateu get a die and roll it. When I rolled a 1 I ate 1200 calories, or as below
    1 = 1200
    2 = 1400
    3 = 1600
    4 = 1800
    5 = 2000
    6 = 2200
    It worked because my body got accustomed to eating 1200 on a NON workout day and 1600 on a workout day. It really kept my metabolisim on its toes. If i ate less my body went ah not enough food. If i ate too much then it went Ahh too much food work it get it digested. I lost an extra 5 pounds eating this way, and keeping my workouts the same.
    You could try this.
  • caldridge1615
    Options
    I'm not for sure if its called zig zagging - but going with the other comment received from this question: I have heard good things about calorie cycling.
    To keep your body on its toes! You are allowed 2 high days a week (normal cal intake + 500) and 2 low days a week (norm cal intake - 200). And it also suggest taking 2 days off every 7 days. I'm not sure how good this works, as I am just starting this week, but I have already lost 2lbs in just a few days... it makes sense. You dont give your body the chance to plateu. I really like the dice idea - however I think its risky, I'd wind up rolling 6's everyday and taking it as an excuse to eat more!
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    The zig zagging I've heard of is for calories. Basically so your body doesn't get used to x # calories per day and stop losing (since our bodies will eventually adjust).

Below is a good calculator I found that helps you zig-zag your calories. Enter all of your info (age, weight, height, exercise) then hit calculate. Once you do, hit the link that says "7 day calorie cycle (zig-zag)" below the results and it will tell you how you can zig zag.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

*Note: I set my exercise at "Little/no exercise (desk job)" so I get my base calories and then when I work out, I enter it here to add the calories.
  • glancees
    glancees Posts: 13
    Options
    I had never heard of this until you asked the question. I found a post on MFP with lots of interesting info, including links to other calculators.
    Here's the post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/15189-zig-zag-diet-or-calorie-shifting

I've been plateauing for nearly 8 weeks now so I'm going to try this. Worst case, I go up a couple of pounds and I have to start over again. But best case it kicks me in gear again. I'm so frustrated I'm about ready to try anything!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Im doing that diet right now! i weigh in on monday so ill find out then if it works! i love it so far! it always keeps my body adjusting to different calorie intake ... I started last week so if i show results on monday i can email you what website i found my information on
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Zig zagging, but my pesronal trainer told me that when I was at a plateu get a die and roll it. When I rolled a 1 I ate 1200 calories, or as below
    1 = 1200
    2 = 1400
    3 = 1600
    4 = 1800
    5 = 2000
    6 = 2200
    It worked because my body got accustomed to eating 1200 on a NON workout day and 1600 on a workout day. It really kept my metabolisim on its toes. If i ate less my body went ah not enough food. If i ate too much then it went Ahh too much food work it get it digested. I lost an extra 5 pounds eating this way, and keeping my workouts the same.
    You could try this.

i really like this idea, and i have been plateau'ed at 160 for a good 5 or 6 months now. i feel my body changing (stronger, less flabby), but the scale has been stubborn. does your trainer suggest that you do this just until you break the plateau, or should you continue it indefinitely? thanks!
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    1 = 1200
    2 = 1400
    3 = 1600
    4 = 1800
    5 = 2000
    6 = 2200
    You could try this.

Is this what you eat even with exercise?

i really like this idea, and i have been plateau'ed at 160 for a good 5 or 6 months now. i feel my body changing (stronger, less flabby), but the scale has been stubborn. does your trainer suggest that you do this just until you break the plateau, or should you continue it indefinitely? thanks!
  • awestfall
    Options
    1 = 1200
    2 = 1400
    3 = 1600
    4 = 1800
    5 = 2000
    6 = 2200
    You could try this.
  • kevmandfl
    kevmandfl Posts: 41
    Options
    Just bumping so I can read later.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Georg
    Options
    That's interesting.
    Thank you.
  • glancees
    glancees Posts: 13
    Options
    1 = 1200
    2 = 1400
    3 = 1600
    4 = 1800
    5 = 2000
    6 = 2200
    You could try this.

This is my question, too. Are these my base calories and then whatever exercise I do that day I eat or is this the max calories per day, no matter what exercise I'm doing?
    I've spent the last 2 hours searching all over the internet to try to figure it out, and this is the best answer I can find (right here on MFP):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/18011--zig-zag-dieting?hl=zig+zag+exercise#posts-152906

If anyone has a more clear answer, please post.
  • cquick
    cquick Posts: 220
    Options
    bumpity bump bump....i wouldn't use the dice but it's a cool idea, makes a ton of sense, and doesn't sound dangerous because it seems your probably consuming the same amount of calories during the entire week anyhow...me like, me try, maybe in a week or two!:flowerforyou:
  • Sexy_N_Red
    Options
    1 = 1200
    2 = 1400
    3 = 1600
    4 = 1800
    5 = 2000
    6 = 2200
    You could try this.

Let me explain more. You would eat the number of calories that you roll no matter if you work out or not. I did this while I worked out with her for an hour, and then immediately did cardio for at least 45 minutes three times a week:sick: . I have done this a few different times (for week at a time) and have gotten different number for the different rolls. I did get 1200 for two days straight, and have never gotten a six more than once a week ( sometimes not even once a week ). My trainer is a professional women figure competitor and this is how she eats when she is not competing. She is also a registered dietician, so I follow waht she tells me to do. I :heart: her body and try to look as good as she does, so I do try and follow the things she tells me to do. I hope this helps to clear up some of the questions.
  • Georg
    Options
    I think I'll give this a try - but just for the sake of argument...
    how is this different than having a cheat day every week?
  • awestfall
    Options
    I don't believe anyone said it but in my opinion for me there are no cheat days only good CLEAN EATING.I would take it that her dietician probably meant even on the high calorie days to eat good filling foods not JUNK but this is the way I took it.I do things alot differently than this because my doctor prescribed it but I think this may work for some people.Opinions are like buttholes everyone has one:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .
  • Sexy_N_Red
    Options
    Exactly. When you get a higher calorie day you eat a helthy food not a chocolate bar. It can be as simple as eating an extra piece of bread, or having a glass of milk.
  • awestfall
    Options
    Exactly. When you get a higher calorie day you eat a helthy food not a chocolate bar. It can be as simple as eating an extra piece of bread, or having a glass of milk.
    THANKS FOR THE BACK UP !!:wink::happy:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    used to be back in the day they where some rolling papers :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: