Cabbage ideas?

Options
Does anyone have any cabbage ideas/recipes. I love cabbage, but am getting bored eating it the same way all the time (sauteed in a pan with a bit of butter).
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I like to boil it in veggie broth...sounds boring and all, but I think it's yummy!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I boil/steam it with a can of Ro-tel (diced tomatoes and green chilies). Really good esp if you like spicy.

Brown some ground turkey with salt and pepper, add the shredded cabbage to it and you have a meal in a pan.

Buy some egg roll wrappers and make your own egg rolls.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I like it braised with onions. Everything gets really sweet and yummy.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I use a mix of purple and the normal kind. mix it with equal amounts of olive oil, and Balsamic vinegar, a bit of fresh minced garlic, oregano and basil.
    Yum.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    + 1 on the veggie broth...plus I add in carrots, garlic, onions, potatoes, whatever veggies are around... yummy soup for fall! I'm making some this week.

Alicia Silverstone's Tempeh Tacos are awesome ...http://www.thekindlife.com/post/yummy-tempeh-tacos.

Raw with veggie dip or hummus.

Stirfry with veggies.

Raw in chinese salad.
  • danielle2021
    Options
    I like to stir fry my cabbage with white beans, zucchini, onion and crush garlic. I use peanut oil or sesame seed oil then I season it with ms. dash and pepper.

The beans do a great job of giving the dish a protein boost. My family loves it as well. I hope you try it and love it too.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian cabbage dish from All Recipes: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ethiopian-cabbage-dish/detail.aspx Made this a while ago and it was pretty good! (just use less oil and potatoes to make it healthier)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it by using differnt things to sautee it in. For instance, instead of butter try Wok-Oil by house of Tsang (It's found in the asian section of the gorcery store near the sot sauce and terriyaki sauce.

Also try an olive oil that is fused with trufle oil. To minimize the amount of oils used, add vegetable or chicken broth to the sautee. I also like to add italian seasoning, garlic and onion and green or red peppers. Yum.
  • Lexanna_Cdn
    Lexanna_Cdn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sweet and sour Red cabbage!

6 cups shredded cabbage
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    brown sugar substitute to equal 1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    3 medium apples pared, cored and sliced

combine all ingredients in saucepan, except for the apples
    cover and cook over medium heat for 20 mins
    add apples, cook 30 minutes more
    divide equally makes 6 servings!
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Shred it and steam it in a little veg stock and then add a shake of caraway seeds. Yummy
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sweet red cabbage

Red cabbage - quartered and core taken out, then chopped
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 apple, chopped
    2T brown sugar
    1/4 cup raspberry red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup vegi broth

Put all in large pan, cover and cook on medium/medium low for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure there is always a little juice on the bottom of the pan so it doesn't burn. You can add a little water if needed.

At about 40 minutes, add some chopped nuts - I like walnuts.

Enjoy.

Another use - use steamed green cabbage leaves as a substitute for the noodles in a lasagne. Like a cabbage roll casserole kind of thing.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    I like to cut it into bite size wedges and roast it in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Or shred it and mix it with lime juice, a little olive oil, a pinch of salt and sugar, and shredded carrot. You could also throw in raisins and crushed pineapple.
  • jaxson1974
    Options
    Thanks all, those are some great ideas, I will try them out. Your suggestions are very appreciated. :)