running pains

Options
I have been running 3 miles every other day for at least 6 months now and for the last two runs my tail bone hurts so bad it feels like its broken..lol it hurts so bad I limb off the treadmill after my run. I haven't ran in four days and don't want it rush back and have something happen, I just want to know if anyone else has had this happen to them and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've had minor pain like that E. Have you tried stretching your lower back? Like a uttanasana or something?

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/478
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Have you been doing anything else?
    I notice I have pain there but never thought it was related to running... for me I think it comes from spin class.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the stretching, if it's mostly after running.
  • msfitmom
    msfitmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Long time distance runner here. I've had every kind of pain you can imagine.

First off, pain means something's wrong. People for some reason think that pain is normal when you exercise but it's really not. Pain that severe likely means something's really wrong and you need to get it checked out.

It's good you've stopped running. Don't start. Rest for a good week.

During that rest week make an appointment with a chiropractor ASAP. Changed my life when I first started going last year. He or she can tell you exactly what is causing the pain and will align you on a regular basis so that you're even and not favoring one side over another because of pain.

Also, many runners don't stretch properly after a run. I'd also suggest trying yoga. I have a love/hate relationship with yoga in that I hate doing it but every time I do I wonder why I don't do it more often. Do not underestimate the value of stretching.

I would also, while you're resting, make sure you ice your tailbone every night for 20 minutes, then heat your tailbone every night for 20 minutes before you go to bed.

First and foremost, go get your back checked out ASAP. Something's not right if you're limping off of the treadmill after a run. Good luck!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I agree with msfitmom...i see my chiro every week because my hip, pelvis 7 tailbone gets out of whack from all the pounding. It might take a visit or two to get back in align, but it will be worth it. Good luck!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have been playing a lot of golf lately and also been running weird on the treadmill too, the last few times I have been running on it I can run at a slower pace, I start feeling like I'm stumbling around on it like I'm going to fall off it :(

thanks for all the tips. I'm going to give it a good 7-9 days off, going to Ice it and I will see a doc if it keeps doing it
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Are your shoes getting worn down? That could causing a foot imbalance which could cause lower back pain. There could be many reasons. You might of strained a muscle or even have a herniated disc? Ok that might be extreme, but I would rest for a few days and if it doesn't get better see a doctor soon. Hope you feel better soon. Kelly! :flowerforyou:
  • shangirl823
    shangirl823 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad this post is up. I have been running 3 -5 miles every other day and recently took about a week off due to heavy rains. I ran 3 miles this morning and by mid afternoon I started getting pain in my tailbone area. I am icing it now, but not sure if it's tailbone or a nerve. It hurts to sit, lay, anything.

I will be sure to take a few days off before getting back out there, but more importantly, I will call my Dr. Thanks for the post and the info from MsFitMom.