Hummus anyone?

Options
Jamiy
Jamiy Posts: 10 Member
Hello, I have heard so many good things about hummus on this site, but I have never tried it. Could some tell how to make it or what brand to buy, because I know nothing about it and don want to get turned off of it by buying the wrong kind, or making it wrong. Also any recipes that that you have enjoyed including hummus would be great!

Replies

• sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I thought I hated hummus and then I tried Trader Joes Garlic Hummus. YUM!!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I love Sabra..roasted garlic hummus. Yummm
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was craving curry hummus so I made this one yesterday:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Curried-Hummus/detail.aspx

Delicious if you like curry. I spiced it up with a pinch of cayenne pepper too.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Here are several hummus recipes...

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/middleeasternfood101/a/hummus101.htm

Hope that helps :)
  • doinit4tayzie
    Options
    I love Sabra..roasted garlic hummus. Yummm

^^^ this mmmmm, I made my own on im eating it but I like the sabra better
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sabra hummus is great! In fact, I cant buy it because Ill eat the whole thing :laugh:
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sabra...pine nut....mmmm. Original is pretty awesome too. I haven't gotten up to trying the other flavors yet.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I thought I hated hummus and then I tried Trader Joes Garlic Hummus. YUM!!

they also have a nice chipotle, and a yummy guacamole/hummus blend

didn't cae for the kalamata olive (and I love kalamata olives, just not in hummus)
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    just a heads up: if you've never had it be advised that it is made mostly from beans (chickpeas are more bean than pea). If beans give you gas, go easy at first
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love the Sabra brand as well (all flavors are good) ~ Costco usually carries big old tubs of them, and my favorite is the sun dried tomato. I love hummus in wraps with cucumbers, red onions, red bell peppers, sprinkled with goat cheese, lemon and a few dashes of oregano ~ YUM! Hummus is a great meat substitution in sandwiches, as a dip for veges or on crackers. Good stuff ~ do try and enjoy!:smile:

PS. Yes it can make you gassy, so start slow lol...
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    Walmart has a spinach hummus that is good.
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/14110-red-lentil-hummus

The above link is to the best hummus recipe I have ever had. Plus it is super easy to make because it uses red lentils instead of garbonzo beans. Everything you need is right in the pantry :)
    Enjoy!
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Black Swan Skinny Hummus is delicious - Available in Australia :smile:
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. I lived in the middle east as a kid and maybe I was weaned on it. :drinker:
  • McPenguin
    Options
    I vote for Sabra too - my favourite is the "roasted red pepper"... I use it instead of butter on bread for sandwiches, wraps, etc... and also as a dip for veggies/pita chips.
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love Hummus!!! I actually had some this morning in my breakfast wrap. however, beware of brands that too much added oils. The one I am eating now is called "Green Garbanzo Hummus" by Nature's Healthy Gourmet. It is absolutely delicious and it has half the fat and carbs of traditional hummus and has no canola or hydrogenated vegetable oils. The fact that it is made with the green garbanzo beans also makes more nutritionally dense... you can find it at whole foods or other gourmet food stores.

There are so many great flavors out there, Enjoy your hummus journey.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I like the Sabra as a spread in sandwiches or thinned out with lemon juice as a salad dressing, but as a dip I find it too smooth and creamy. For eating I like homemade or Tribe.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I love Sabra's roasted red pepper hummus.
  • Jamiy
    Jamiy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I found the Sabra brand at my local store and my little girl liked even! I love traders joes but we don’t have one closer than 6 hours away. Now I just have to try making it. Thanks again.