I have a question...

Options
kistinbee
kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
So...I am wondering something. Since I'm still rather new to the whole cooking thing...how can I determine how much pasta I make? Okay...what I mean is if I use say 1 cup of dried past noodles, how many cups cooked is that? I'm trying to enter some things into the spark people recipe calculator and need to know how many cups of cooked pasta I'm using. Is there some rule of thumb? Any advice would be great!. Then I will share my recipe!!!
*Kistinbee*

Replies

• kistinbee
    Options
    So...I am wondering something. Since I'm still rather new to the whole cooking thing...how can I determine how much pasta I make? Okay...what I mean is if I use say 1 cup of dried past noodles, how many cups cooked is that? I'm trying to enter some things into the spark people recipe calculator and need to know how many cups of cooked pasta I'm using. Is there some rule of thumb? Any advice would be great!. Then I will share my recipe!!!
    *Kistinbee*
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I believe when you cook your pasta, it generally doubles. So, 1 cup dry will be 2 cups cooked. What are you making?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    kistinbee-
    what kind of pasta are you cooking? You can cook up a cup of pasta and it will turn into 2 or 3. Take the extra and drain and toss with a little olive oil and store in a zip lock in the fridge and use is within a couple of days.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    I will post it here in a minute. Just figuring out all the nutritional stuff. Thanks for the help!

*Kistinbee*
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not being smart, but I cook it, measure out a cup, and bag the rest in a ziploc for another meal.
    I'm interested in the recipe as well, thank you.

Leslie
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Your post made me curious so I made some spaghetti tonight. I weighed out 2 ounces of dry spaghetti. After cooking, I weighed it again and it was 5 ounces. It was Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat spaghetti. Hope this helps!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've read this question a lot on MFP...

...recently...

...so apparently, the answer is very elusive.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I've read this question a lot on MFP...

...recently...

...so apparently, the answer is very elusive.

Yeah, I've answered it a few times.

OP: Use a scale. Weigh the dry pasta. Boil the pasta. Drain the pasta. Re-weigh the pasta. You can now portion it out as you desire and have an accurate idea of what the dry measurement for the portion you're eating is.