Diet in direct correlation with mental health?

Options
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelellsberg/2011/07/18/how-i-overcame-bipolar-ii/

This is a topic that has always interested me as I used to work as a case manager with people who suffered from mental health disorders. I also have a personal history of struggling with OCD (depression and anxiety being the most common side effects of that particular issue). I think (at least in the U.S., I have no idea about other countries and wouldn't presume to know) that we are primarily pill-driven and are anxious to find that one "miracle drug" that will make all of our problems go away. I would love to know what you think of this article -- it is long, but well worth the read!

Replies

• JaneWrastle
    Options
    I will have to get some time to read that article but have you heard of the book the Zone - it touches on this concept and i, for one, am a believer. I am ADD and without diet and exercise my head is just in the clouds all day and then getting back to earth is overwhelming and frustrating, but medication seems to just dampen my whole personality.
  • Splasheh
    Splasheh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelellsberg/2011/07/18/how-i-overcame-bipolar-ii/

This is a topic that has always interested me as I used to work as a case manager with people who suffered from mental health disorders. I also have a personal history of struggling with OCD (depression and anxiety being the most common side effects of that particular issue). I think (at least in the U.S., I have no idea about other countries and wouldn't presume to know) that we are primarily pill-driven and are anxious to find that one "miracle drug" that will make all of our problems go away. I would love to know what you think of this article -- it is long, but well worth the read!

I suffer from some of the same mental health problems you do too but it comes under aspergers.

In the UK we very rarely get given medication for depression, anxiety etc. We use 'breathing techniques' and different "natural" ways to deal with our mental health problems. I don't believe in being prescribed pills, I think they get relied on far too much and can become an addiction.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I will tell you that when I eat well, sleep well, and workout my anxiety and depression are very much under control.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    In Australia we also rely on pills way too much.

I have actually overcome my depression and anxiety problems with using exercise as an antidepressant, and am no longer on them anymore :)
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Eating raw has changed my life. I do not suffer anxiety and depression anymore and I also think more clearly. It's unbelievable. So powerful.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    bump........
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to read this later
    In the UK we very rarely get given medication for depression, anxiety etc. We use 'breathing techniques' and different "natural" ways to deal with our mental health problems. I don't believe in being prescribed pills, I think they get relied on far too much and can become an addiction.
    That is far too much of a generalisation. When I was first diagnosed as suffering from clinical depression, my GP at the time coouldn't prescribe pills quick enough. Even now, when i'm suffering bouts of bad depression, if I happen to mention it to my GP, he'll offer to prescribe anti-depressants of some sort.

My personal preference is to try and avoid pills at all costs. It would depend on your Doctor and how willing they are to actually help you.
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Diet and mental health are obviously intwined. It bugs me that science needs case studies and the like to "get that." Anytime your body is feeling bogged down, your brain will as well. That's a given. My anxiety issues are always better when I eat well (and avoid sugar).
  • awkwwward
    Options

I suffer from some of the same mental health problems you do too but it comes under aspergers.

Yeah, in the US - at least one or two pills is the first diagnosis. My fiance went to the doctor in December for depression issues and was prescribed 2 anti-depressants - before his first therapy session. 9 months later, his doses have been up, up, upped and his therapy has been decreased. The US medical profession is WAY too focused on pills, not enough on diet, fitness and therapy.
  • kkarmstrong68
    kkarmstrong68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety, depression, migraines, and digestive problems and I am only 42. My doctor has told me that gluten intolerance can cause alot of these problems. I have heard that from other sources also. I am trying it out. I started for about a month and I have to say I was feeling pretty good. I got off track for my birthday and other birthdays and weddings this past month. I havent been feeling as energetic and happy. I still have to careful on the gluten free, because its hard to get enough fiber.
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    I use both medication and exercise and am working on the diet part. I have depression and it started when I was a teenager and I am now in my 40's. I can honestly say that for me I need both. I have gone off medication and for a while I am ok a year or so. When I was running every day and moved to the Land of Enchantment, where the sun shines 300+ days a year I did not need medication for the first few years there. I believe sunshine helps a lot as well. As I have gotten older, exercise and sunshine has not been enough. I think it's important to find a good doctor or counselor to guide people through this. Many primary care doctors just write a prescription. That is not the answer. I do think sugar is bad and doesn't help at all, and I do think I am addicted to it. So far I have not been willing to give it up, just reduce my intake. Wish me luck on that! :smile:
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I didn't even read the article yet.

Exercise is the closest thing we have to the "magic pill" or quick answer our society seems to want. Exercise helps with pain stiffness, mood, sleep, appetite suppression, energy. While it is NOT a magic pill, it is the closest natural thing we've got. Least invasive with no side effects.

It may not be enough for everyone, that is true. But diet (watch out for sugar and caffeine) and exercise are key. I also have to watch the carbs/bread/wheat. It's been about a year of what I'd call accidental experimenting. I'm learning what I need to eat, what I need to avoid to feel my best. This won't be the same for all of us...the basics of good nutrition are the same, but now I'm going beyond that to fine tune it for me.

If you want to know more about this, I suggest a book called Healing Depression & Bipolar Without Drugs by Gracelyn Guyol. Also check out the Garden of Life guy-The Maker's Diet. His angle is all about the probiotics in fermented food to aid digestion and fighting lots of health problems that way.

I speak from personal experience as well as experience as a mental health professional. This is not medical advice, but my opinion on the question asked.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i suffer with schizo-affective disorder along with major depression since i was around the age of 6. i have always been a healthier eater and always ate good. i think for some people diet and life style does affect their mental health but there are those in which neither is a contributing factor. i abused alcohol and street drugs for years in hopes of subsiding my own mental state. i was first diagnosed in 2005 with my mental conditions. however it wasnt til 2006 when i seeked treatment for my addictions was i able to find a facility that treated both mental and drug dependencies. i did take prescriptions drugs for the first few years of my sobriety along with counseling and other means to help myself. it helped me greatly especially with taking sri's and getting therapy along with finding other outlets to emerge myself in. so for me diet has little to do with my mental health. but this is just me and not others. everyone is different. to those who suffer from mental health problems- i know from my own experience you have to find methods that work personally for you since not all medications, diet etc can be used for everyone.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I didn't even read the article yet.

Exercise is the closest thing we have to the "magic pill" or quick answer our society seems to want. Exercise helps with pain stiffness, mood, sleep, appetite suppression, energy. While it is NOT a magic pill, it is the closest natural thing we've got. Least invasive with no side effects.

It may not be enough for everyone, that is true. But diet (watch out for sugar and caffeine) and exercise are key. I also have to watch the carbs/bread/wheat. It's been about a year of what I'd call accidental experimenting. I'm learning what I need to eat, what I need to avoid to feel my best. This won't be the same for all of us...the basics of good nutrition are the same, but now I'm going beyond that to fine tune it for me.

If you want to know more about this, I suggest a book called Healing Depression & Bipolar Without Drugs by Gracelyn Guyol. Also check out the Garden of Life guy-The Maker's Diet. His angle is all about the probiotics in fermented food to aid digestion and fighting lots of health problems that way.

I speak from personal experience as well as experience as a mental health professional. This is not medical advice, but my opinion on the question asked.

Thanks for the book suggestions!! I am very much interested in a more holistic approach to treatment. I tried the pills, but the only thing they did for me was make me not care at all about anything. Not really a feeling that I want to maintain. Of course, I think that my mental health issues have all stemmed from my body image and feeling completely worthless all the time because I wasn't "pretty" due to being overweight. I'm planning to take this week and completely cut out coffee and alcohol (I don't really eat sugary foods other than alcohol) and see how I feel at the end of it. I'm hoping that I might start sleeping for once.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    Absolutly ...
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I found this article really interesting, raises a lot of good points.

Diet is related to mental health, it shouldn't be denied but it is. For example, when I was diagnosed with anemia all the symptoms I had that I thought was an indication of depression turned out to be mostly because of the anemia - anemia symptoms can include fatigue, tiredness, decreased energy, lightheadness, and even intense sadness if is goes on.

(However for me it wasn't just the anemia causing this stuff for me, it seems. But I did help for that first while when I went B12 supplements and lessened the strength of future moods when on them. Must work for some people.)

I'm not sure if it's just B12 that I need to watch though personally. I might have moods, cyclothymia, maybe bipolar disorder of some sort (too afraid to go see/doing fine now so won't bother, yes bad me) because the signs are there and B12 wasn't the total answer. So I've sort noticed some trends in my food lately.
    - I think there's a fair amount of truth in that sugar and refined carbs can make things bad for you. I've cut back on refined carbs since November (with the odd indulgence and a month in there where I ate without any regard to mfp and stuff) and I know I feel worse when I eat more refined carbs. The moods decreased in intensity and were probably the worst I've ever had in that month of bad eating.
    - And lately, I just noticed that I am sort of cutting back on my sugars, and seem to be doing better too (even more so then when I was still eating a fair amount of sugar and less refined carbs/only whole wheat type carbs). The moods seem to come less often and are shorter and less intense too. I want to cut more out, from things like granola bars and ketchup, which I can't seem to part with, to see how it goes.
  • andymf85
    andymf85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We're extremely delicate beings when you think about it. Slight changes in temperature, slight disruptions to our sleep cycles... just about any minor tweak will cause a ripple effect in our lives, starting with our moods.

Biologically, we're not meant to carry a great deal of weight, or to process the products we eat nowadays. In the US, we've been doing a lot of arguing recently over whether we should have a national policy on health... but our hand may eventually be forced by harsh realities we didn't really plan on or want to deal with early on.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    My son has several mental health issues.

He was recently released from a psychiatric hospital. A friend of mine sent me a link for the ADHD diet. She says it works well for her son, but the diet actually recommends mountain dew and coffee. I don't know how I feel about that.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My son has several mental health issues.

He was recently released from a psychiatric hospital. A friend of mine sent me a link for the ADHD diet. She says it works well for her son, but the diet actually recommends mountain dew and coffee. I don't know how I feel about that.

With ADHD, the left and right sides of the brain typically do not run at the same speed, which (among other things) makes concentration difficult. People with this issue generally do well on caffeine, because it balances this out. With the left and right brain "firing" at the same speed, people with ADHD tend to have better concentration, and feel more relaxed, even if only for short periods of time (hours as opposed to days).
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. This article has come at the right time for me.