Detoxing or cleansing to start a diet.

Options
A few place I have read suggest starting a diet with a detox cleansing kit. Has anyone done this, and if so what do you recommend?

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    A few place I have read suggest starting a diet with a detox cleansing kit. Has anyone done this, and if so what do you recommend?

I do The 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse once every 3 or 4 months.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 day cleanse I bought at walmart....

I followed every direction (soo many pills. Lol)

Most of them require you NOT to exercise while your doing the cleanse so needless to say it didnt do ANYTHING for me.
    Ive learned that my body needs to be active for me to lose weight.

Good luck!!
  • brice02
    brice02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do the Advocare 10 day cleanse every 90 days, it's gentle, not harsh like a lot of others out there. Very beneficial to any weight loss program.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Save your $$ and just eat fruits/veggies for a few days. That will do the trick.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Save your $$ and just eat fruits/veggies for a few days. That will do the trick.

Exactly what I was going to say. Just switching over to clean whole foods and lots of water will do the same thing!
  • pegesam
    pegesam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To each his own opinion -- and your probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this topic.
    I'm not a fan of detox and or cleansing regimens. If you want to detox, then change your diet, push the fluids (preferably water) and you'll be detoxed probably by the end of day 1. Cravings (in my opinion) aren't a result of not detoxing. Food is in and out of your system in 6 hours or less (our digestive system is designed to manage things this way). Preservatives and food colorings and dyes are something different, but still, should be out of our system thanks to liver and kidney functions in a short amount of time also.
    If you want a cleanse-- eat more veggies-- Nature's little scrubbies, especially if raw and with skin. A vegetarian will probably never get colon cancer.
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    In all honesty, you do not need a cleaning or detoxing to begin your diet. Begin by eating healthier foods. Remove unnecessary foods from your diet.

If you change your eating pattern and incorporate more vegetables and fruits, you are introducing fiber to your body. Fiber is essential to feel full and to cleanse your intestines. It also help lower your risk of heart diseases.

Also, drink plenty of water, too. Water aids in the removal of toxins in your body. Incorporating water, a sensible diet that includes vegetables, fruits, grains - legumes, nuts, etc. - and exercise is all you need to optimize your body. I also would suggest that you speak to your physician before engaging in any strenuous activity or exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Waste of time. Once you start reducing your calorie intake, go into calorie deficit, drinking water, exercising and getting enough rest, your body will do what it needs to.
    All this hoopla about detox and cleansing has NO SCIENTIFIC OR CLINICAL PEER REVIEWED STUDIES that they do anything to "start" up your weight loss. It's just a money making deal for the sellers and promoters.
  • CamiXiomara
    Options

If you want a cleanse-- eat more veggies-- Nature's little scrubbies, especially if raw and with skin. A vegetarian will probably never get colon cancer.

On the spot! Vegetables= fiber. Fiber does the job. Add water and things will run smoothly. Okay, enough! Good luck, though.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You will clense yourself by eating healthy. They are a hoax composed of laxatives and additives to make you think what is coming out is something amazing when really it is what is in the pills you are taking. There is a great Fat2Fit podcast about it.
  • aqua4u75
    Options
    I have tried detox pills before and they did not work for me, period. As soon as I start eating heaIthier (fruits and veggies) is when my body begins to detox naturally. After a few days it doesn't appear that my body is in detox mode any longer, but I am sure it is better than feeding myself some of the awful things I had been used to eating. I have been taking probiotics and they seem to help my immune system, but really I can't devote that to them alone. I have veggies and fruits to thank for that as well. In fact I am planning on not taking them much longer, atleast until I can get my doctor's advice on them. :)
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    You will clense yourself by eating healthy. They are a hoax composed of laxatives and additives to make you think what is coming out is something amazing when really it is what is in the pills you are taking. There is a great Fat2Fit podcast about it.

Sorry I beg to differ at least when it comes to Shakeology. For one it is not a pill and two it contains pre-biotics and digestive enzymes. The others I cannot speak about as I do not know them.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Sorry I beg to differ at least when it comes to Shakeology. For one it is not a pill and two it contains pre-biotics and digestive enzymes. The others I cannot speak about as I do not know them.

You can also get pro-biotics and digestive enzymes from yogurt.. specifically greek and activita.. and they are a lot cheaper then shakeology.

To OP:
    Dont waste your money on a cleanse. Just eat better and exercise and the body will do what it needs too.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree, "cleanses" and "detoxes" are a scam. You have natural "cleansers" in your body- kidneys, liver, etc. and no magic shake or pill will "cleanse" you of whatever "toxins" you think you need to be rid of. That is the function of your organs, not a shake.

However, companies make billions of dollars every year selling their products so apparently us naysayers are in the minority. I work too hard for my money to fork it over to snake oil salesmen.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did a 3 day juice cleanse at one point when i was getting off track, i felt like i needed something to give me a boost. there are a lot out there but i did the cooler cleanse - i actually chose this one becasue i had a groupon and juice cleanses tend to be pricey.

i did it with two other girls in my office and 2/3 of us both really enojyed it - the other was really tired and irritable and hungry. you can eat a small amt of nuts or a piece of fruit with it which i didn't really feel like i needed.

after the three days i had dropped about 6 lbs in a week (im not really overweight so that was a lot for me in a short amt of time, and i didn't really expect to keep it off for long). BUT i really did feel a lot better, my cravings were different and it changed my perspective on food in the long run. if i can live off of juice for 3 days i can put down the slice of pizza...

i can see how it is not for everyone and a lot of people discourage juice cleanses such as this but it was somethng i had always wanted to try and am glad i did...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say. Just switching over to clean whole foods and lots of water will do the same thing!

Your body comes equipped with a few organs that are rather efficient at 'de-toxing, and cleansing'. Any weightloss from a cleanse will be from dehydration, and/or 'evacuations' (that's how you say poop all fancy like).

...and of course, de-toxing is simply a load of rubbish.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I agree, "cleanses" and "detoxes" are a scam. You have natural "cleansers" in your body- kidneys, liver, etc. and no magic shake or pill will "cleanse" you of whatever "toxins" you think you need to be rid of. That is the function of your organs, not a shake.

However, companies make billions of dollars every year selling their products so apparently us naysayers are in the minority. I work too hard for my money to fork it over to snake oil salesmen.

^^^This!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I find that the best cleanse before starting a diet is cleaning out my fridge and using lots of Simple Green until it's fresh and clean smelling and ready to receive delicious, wholesome whole foods!!

My liver and kidneys do a great job on their own when I drink sufficient water!

:flowerforyou:
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options

^^^This!

Yes what they just said!! :laugh: But drinking losts of water and eating fresh fruits and vegetable and foods with nor preservatives for a while always make you feel better and help our organs work better.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    p.s. did anyone else in this thread provide your "PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES"? Did you ask anyone else to provide these?

Here is what the Mayo Clinic has to say on the efficacy of cleansing/detoxing...

Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. The main concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

* Increase your risk of dehydration
    * Lead to bowel perforations
    * Increase the risk of infection
    * Cause a rise in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or heart disease

Hmmmm.... who to believe?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cleansing/AN00065