Running mess up monthly cycle?

Options
Anyone else had weird monthly cycles since starting running? I started running in May this year and all was ok til last month. Lighter and shorter than ever. Not that it was a bad thing...Just curious if this is common?

Replies

• Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mine is all screwed up now too! I'm not complaining since it was always heavy and lasted 12 days. Now I barely have one but spot more during the month.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you are doing quite a bit of running it could! Everyone's different though.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    exercising more, losing weight, changing diet, stress, a number of things can change your cycle. Lighter and shorter.. live it up! :drinker:
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Lighter, shorter, and longer in between since I started running...very nice indeed.
  • brittneyadams
    Options
    When I first started working out and running all the time (I'm talking like 2 hours a day, everyday) I didn't get my period for almost 10 months.

When you put your body though that much running and/or working out you stop getting your period Or at least that's what happened with me. I say it is completely normal. Many female athletes don't have a monthly cycle.

I hope this helps.

Brittney
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I've heard that a women's period duration is usually longer, heavier, and more "crampy" than it should be because we don't exercise and we eat processed foods with too many hormones. My menses is usually affected by my diet and exercise.

Keep up the good work!
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Mine got heavier & my cramps increased, but I can't pinpoint it to running or my birth control:grumble:
  • MarisaJean82
    Options
    Mine was a week and a half early last month and I ALWAYS started on the same exact day every month. Don't know if it's from the running/ exercising heavily or what but I thought it was weird!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have heard and notice that when i do really vigorous exersize that it's shortened quite a bit and i dont feel as crampy and mean.. that's a good thing..
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Iasked my doctor about it too and she said it was possible. I'll just take that little bonus! :)
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    mine has always been short (2 days!) but i did notice that once i started exercising regularly since february, i no longer cramp at all! i also have no headaches or feel fatigued.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I realize Im a guy, but I have a bit of knowledge on this topic.

Actually often times, your cycle can completely stop. The more exercise, especially strenuous cardio, involving lots of leg movements, can slow, shorten, or stop your cycle. My sister went to a professional dance school 9 months of the year, and only had hers over the summer. Once out of school and in college (after deciding to no longer pursue dance) she turned to my girlfriend and said, its so weird having a cycle every month!

Talk to your doctor and confirm that everything is ok, but it is pretty natural
  • sjdennis45
    Options
    Mine always gets screwed up when I start a new work out or if I loose a lot of weight in a short period of time... it's just from the stress on your body.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Mine has gotten longer. It hasn't stopped, but it used to be around 28 days now it is more like 34. This time it was only 30 since I haven't been running as much as I did in the summer.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I realize Im a guy, but I have a bit of knowledge on this topic.

Actually often times, your cycle can completely stop. The more exercise, especially strenuous cardio, involving lots of leg movements, can slow, shorten, or stop your cycle. My sister went to a professional dance school 9 months of the year, and only had hers over the summer. Once out of school and in college (after deciding to no longer pursue dance) she turned to my girlfriend and said, its so weird having a cycle every month!

Talk to your doctor and confirm that everything is ok, but it is pretty natural

I think I'm in love with you. Whether you're taken or you're gay, marry me anyway. Just keep talkin that "I realize I'm a guy but this stuff doesn't creep me out and I have something to contribute" sh!* to me.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Mine got heavier & my cramps increased, but I can't pinpoint it to running or my birth control:grumble:
    Ditto - I love my Mirena, but I've been bleeding every time I run and it's getting old.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Hasn't happened to me but it does happen to people when starting any new exercise regimen.
  • eatrunstretch
    eatrunstretch Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow that clears up a few things I was starting to question!!! Love running even more now!
  • cinder701
    Options
    I had to Reply to this because Im not sure what's going on...BUT for me I have been having heavier and way more Crampier periods..I just think I's an age thing...lol
  • KMS050308
    Options
    Since getting back into eating right and exercising I am waiting for mine to arrive again. I have PCOS.....without proper diet and exercise I have none at all. A few years ago when I lost 60lbs I had one every month and that was very strange to me.