Dark mornings?

Options
I am a morning exerciser and love that I can get my workout or run in before my morning shower and dressed for work. But...lately it has been so dark and cold every morning I find myslef sleeping in until after 7am and Yikes!!! time to rush around just to get to work.

Any advice? I know an alarm clock...any other suggestions?

Replies

• FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Change your username to moonrunner?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Change your username to moonrunner?

LOL :)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just don't plan to run in the mornings in the winter. I don't feel safe in the dark. So I plan ahead to make sure I have afternoon or evening times. But I am a teacher, and generally I get home in time to do this. It would be tough if I worked until 6 or so.

I hate to say it, but sometimes the treadmill is the best solution in the winter.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Maybe try going to bed earlier so not to sleep in so late? Or, is there a reason you can't run after work?
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I run in the mornings when it is dark. I use my alarm clock. Once it goes off, I immediately get out of bed. I have found that the moment I negotiate those 5 more minutes, those 5 more minutes ends up being an hour and then I never get my run in. I get up and get dressed and out the door.

As for safety concerns, I carry pepper spray with me. There a numerous companies that have a special pepper spray for runners so that they can hold it while running. I also wear lights and reflective material so that people can see me.

I have found a real love of running when there are so few people out and about. It gets me started on a positive note for the day.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well, as I'm sure you are well aware, there isn't a magic solution to waking up with the desire to go running in the dark! :)

However, it's a matter of routine as you know; once your in it, it's easier ... perhaps get an accountability partner? Log your runs on RunKeeper or something so you can check on eachother to encourage eachother?

I need to do the same here ... after our (4th) baby and being in the middle of moving our house this month, it's been busy ... but I need to go find time to run again ... morning really is the best as it's out the way but I am SO not a morning person ... guess I just gotta change that huh?! ...

~Matt
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Tis the season, right? :ohwell:
    All I can say is, fight it..Get up, move yourself out of bed and fight the battle. :bigsmile:
    You'll be thankful after.
    Though, I am speaking for myself as well. I think it's "wanting to hibernate" mood. I totally dislike.. :yawn:
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA Moonrunner!!! that sounds illegal!! I just have to haul myself up out of bed I suppose!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    They make head lamps...or if you can, try to find a suit from the movie TRON so it lights up your way.
    Serisouly, though...how about one of those sexy orange vests and some form of light?
  • Lisdol
    Lisdol Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    unfortunately i have no suggestions because i'm running into the exact same problem lol. then by the time i get off of work and want to take my dog for a walk it's usually nasty and rainy lately too. what i've been doing is just alternating between p90x and brazil butt lift dvds inside and even playing dance central on the kinect!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have one of the fancy yellow vests and this lighted armband. I should get a headlight too since I am always wondering if I am stepping in something that I shouldn't. They make so much stuff these days for people who run before the rest of the world has even remotely tried to get up. I never used to be a morning runner until a few weeks ago. I love it because I get my workout done for the day and I know how many calories I have to use for the day. Plus with my hectic job, I never know if I will be able to get a workout in.

I just get up and go. There was an article I read yesterday about how you can't negotiate with working out. I agree. It is up and at em or stay in bed and sleep.