I should not run.... really?

Options
I am 170 lbs. and somebody told me I should not run because I am so heavy that I can hurt my joints... really??? I never did any exercise or running ever before. But now I want to loose my weight . I cannot go to gym because of my baby. I only use my treadmill to walk/run. Do you guys really think that at 170 lbs. one should not run? Thanks

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think you SHOULD run! I started at 220 lbs and it just keeps getting easier! Go for it!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I started running at 219. Thanks to running, I'm down to 175. The hell with anyone who says you can't do it due to weight!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I think the only reason anyone should run is if there is someone bad chasing them. But that's just me. :laugh:
  • aspencer122
    aspencer122 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started running at 315 ibs and "loved" it lol. I think you can run but just listen to your body. and have fun with it. good luck.
  • JillianP00
    Options
    Unless you've had a history of joint problems then I'm not sure why anyone would tell you that! Running can cause wear and tear on your body, but that happens to anyone. Running at your weight is perfectly fine, but don't push yourself past your limits because that can lead to injury. I'm running multiple miles at 170 and I'm perfectly fine! If you need a little proof then watch The Biggest Loser where they have people at 250+ pounds running on the treadmill daily. Good luck!!

Jillian
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i would just monitor your joints, as long as you have no discomfort you should be fine, I started at about 280 and slowly increased the length of my runs until i got down to around 230 and started lifting as well. start small and work your way up, you'll be fine.
  • farrell6
    Options
    I think that is a horrible comment for someone to make. If running feels good to you, do it! If it bothers your joints then find some other form of exercise. I just started running and it feels so good. I feel so much lighter!! GO FOR IT!!!!!!!
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That is nonsense. I started at 175 and have lost 18 pounds because of it. I definitely suggest running...at any size :).
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I started jogging in July and I was in the mid 180's and I have always had bad joints. I am currently at 169 and I have to say that I can't wait for my jog days. :bigsmile: The advice I was given was if your knees hurt then don't go jogging the following day.

I think I am able to jog because I am using C25K on my phone. That is a very helpful program and it will help you work up to longer speeds and distances.

:flowerforyou:
  • Bugsyzgrl
    Bugsyzgrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think the only reason anyone should run is if there is someone bad chasing them. But that's just me. :laugh:

I'm with you there!! :drinker:

I heard somewhere that it's not about the speed of your run/walk but more the duration. Anything over 45 minutes is burning fat, while anything over 15 minutes is burning calories. I know a lot of long time runners that are now facing joint issues as they age, but I think all athletes will face this at some time. I say do what ever feels right to you. I started out walking on the treadmill at 2.8 mph and now I am steady between 32. to 3.5mph and that's getting easier every day. Who knows, maybe in 6 months I will be one of those girls on the treadmill at a full on jog...!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I started running at 230 lbs. I am now 165 and I only have knee pain when I run 13.1 miles. LOL
    If you enjoy running, RUN!!
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Unless you've had a history of joint problems then I'm not sure why anyone would tell you that! Running can cause wear and tear on your body, but that happens to anyone. Running at your weight is perfectly fine, but don't push yourself past your limits because that can lead to injury. I'm running multiple miles at 170 and I'm perfectly fine! If you need a little proof then watch The Biggest Loser where they have people at 250+ pounds running on the treadmill daily. Good luck!!

Jillian

No . I do not have issues with my joints..
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Ever watch "Biggest Loser"...they all run, A LOT!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am 170 lbs. and somebody told me I should not run because I am so heavy that I can hurt my joints... really??? I never did any exercise or running ever before. But now I want to loose my weight . I cannot go to gym because of my baby. I only use my treadmill to walk/run. Do you guys really think that at 170 lbs. one should not run? Thanks

they're stupid
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I weigh 179lbs, I am 5'8, and I have tendonitis in my legs that flares up if I don't watch how I treat myself... and I RUN! In fact, I just did my first 5k on Sunday. (Read the blog post? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/warriorprincessdi/view/i-ran-for-the-cure-the-story-of-my-first-5k-154700) I think you can run. I think anyone can run unless they have a doctor saying otherwise. Do what fells right to you.... But I promise, you'd love to run. :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I ran three full marathons, many trail runs & upteen half marathons pushing 180 lbs. Listen to your body, not anyone else! .
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    well, thanks everybody to give me confidence.. I really appreciate the help and support I get from MFP members. Thanks again..
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I weight ~ 175 and run 50 - 60 miles per week. Just listen to your body and you'll be fine.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    If you feel you can run, then by all means, run! if you question it, ask your Dr...
    I started running a while back, and I had no results, at all! I ran 5-6 times a week for an hour a day, for about 4 months, and nothing. Then I started doing the Insanity program...it is much better! But that's just me...
    Every body is different, and every exercise will affect everyone differently. The best advice I can give, is do whatever you love/want to do...don't try to do something you don't like because there is no motivation to keep doing it.
    Hope that helps :smile: