Lean Cuisine

Options
Do people really lose weight by eating these types of frozen prepared meals? I was in the kitchen at work filling my water bottle and there were these 3 girls in there (all overweight) talking about the grocery store sale on lean cuisines. Two had gone to the store that afternoon to stock up and were spcifically talking about the spinach and artichoke dip. The other one stated that she was going to go stock up after she hit the gym. I know that there are those who believe eating these meals for lunch and dinner every day will help them lose weight. Will they really though? The spinach and artichoke dip they were talking about comes it at 400 calories and amlost 1000mg of sodium. What do you guys think? Can you really successfully lose weight eating these?

Replies

• Starleng1
    Starleng1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in/calories out. If you overeat ANYTHING, even when the box says "Lean Cuisine", you are not going to lose fat.

In my opinion, these frozen meals don't satisfy my hunger, and so they are just a waste of time. I make my own meals and craft them specifically to control hunger while keeping within my calorie goals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think you can if you pick and choose the right varieties. I don't eat them as often as I used to, mostly because they are pretty high carb, but my favorite one (Steak Tips and Broccoli) has 150 calories and only about 400 mg of sodium. I'd add some extra veggies or a salad, because it wasn't really enough food, and have a pretty sensible lunch.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i guess you could if you are within your calories, but the sodium in those things are ridiculous. i dont like frozen dinners at all...they're gross to me
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think frozen type dinners are not much better than fast food, but they are lower in calories. But maybe one of the 80 ingredients will get ya.

So yes you can lose weight on them, but I don't beleive you can be healthy if you eat them all the time. In a pinch is okay, but other than that I would avoid them like the plague.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    i eat one everyday
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i eat them once or twice a week. I don't think they're ideal and I usually eat something else on the side. But they're convenient..
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I WOULD IMAGINE U WOULD LOSE WEIGHT BASED ON THE LOWER CALORIES OF THOSE MEALS BUT I PERSONALLY WOULDNT EAT THEM TO OFTEN SINCE THEY ARE PROCESSED FOODS AND CONTAIN LARGE AMOUNTS OF SODIUM. JUST MY OPINION.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you no...but a few years ago, I did a diet and ate only the Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines, I lost 42 pounds. I didn't drink any water, just diet coke.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to calories in/calories out. If you overeat ANYTHING, even when the box says "Lean Cuisine", you are not going to lose fat.

In my opinion, these frozen meals don't satisfy my hunger, and so they are just a waste of time. I make my own meals and craft them specifically to control hunger while keeping within my calorie goals.

Agree with this! As long as you stay within your range you can eat as many as you want, but.....

Those frozen meals never fill me up! I can make something with the same or less amount of calories that keeps me full much longer.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I typically eat one everyday for lunch and have lost 82 lbs.
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I eat them for lunch while at work and still lose weight. My friend and I did weight watchers together 7 years ago and basically ate them for lunches and we both lost a lot of weight. It comes down to calories in versus calories out.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    They aren't horrible and I have used them and lost weight. Now I just chose healthier options, because I am not a huge fan of them. I would add veg too if eating them. Sounds like these girls are trying to better their lives-so that is good. However, I would stick to getting your fruits, veg, lean meats.
  • fishboat
    fishboat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lose weight by just eat smaller amounts. I eat anything I want,but very little of it. It works for me. Rick
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    I eat Lean Cusine meals when I'm at work for lunch, not all the time. I don't like the ammount of sodium in them at all. I don't think anyone would lose weight if they just at them with out exercising or something like that. They are nice to grab once in awhile if you're running late or there is nothing else to grab for lunch.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    i eat them once or twice a week. I don't think they're ideal and I usually eat something else on the side. But they're convenient..

Same here. When I'm craving pasta, I like the cheese ravioli (290 cals). Once or twice a week is alright to me.
  • PreciousMissy
    Options

This. Plus I find I can get more filling food for less $$ by bringing my lunch. Although I do keep two frozen meals on hand for emergencies (a.k.a. when I'm feeling too lazy to cook, lol).
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like them. I don't eat them every day, but I have one in the freezer for lunch today. For me, they help becuase I don't always have time to pack something or make something, and they are much better than fast food in my opinion. I just make sure I watch my sodium intake for the rest of the day. I think moderation is the key.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I think you can if you pick and choose the right varieties. I don't eat them as often as I used to, mostly because they are pretty high carb, but my favorite one (Steak Tips and Broccoli) has 150 calories and only about 400 mg of sodium. I'd add some extra veggies or a salad, because it wasn't really enough food, and have a pretty sensible lunch.

I agree! Sometimes you need a quick portioned out mashed potato & meat w/gravy AND see the sodium too! I too add a cup of veggies!

PS: so proud of you for keeping track of sodium! Maybe those girls are one-upping eachother or acting out the commercial!
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat them for lunch...I know it's not the best for me, but it's better than going out and eating fast food in my eyes. Trying to find something that stays with in my calories and has favor is hard to do sometimes. Plus, I get bored with eating the same thing for lunch every day, so this gives me a chance to eat something different.