Not saying it's cheating you don't have to explain it to me.

Options
Hey ,
I was just wondering if u guys every run across those ppl that are ashamed of a certain diet or gastric bypass surgery when you tell them you are trying to lose weight? I don't really get it. It's like they think they are cheating or something. Ther's no cheating. I mean yes, do I get a little irritated when pple tell me that, I do . I'm being honest. It's like the kid in class that is just really smart and you being the kid that has to study. ....
BUT if it worked for you. There is nothing to be ashamed of. If you have knowledge that can help others, it sdoesn't matter how it happened. I know ppl that have had surgery and they have just as much struggles as people who are just eating healthy. Unless it is unhealthy, I say embrace different methods and each other.

Replies

• janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know what you are saying. But then all the time I hear people say how weight loss surgery is taking the easy way out, or words to that effect. So I can understand people being hesitant telling that's how they are losing or have lost their weight. And then there are those people who are so quick to lecture or tell about the dangers of WLS etc.

But you are right - losing the weight is so important, we should support everyone in their weight loss efforts.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have heard people being ashamed because of the replies that they get to them saying they had surgery. It goes back to "Oh you took the easy way out" syndrome. Easy? Really? I put myself on an operating table and that was easy?

I have had vertical sleeve gastrectomy - I am not ashamed of it and as a matter of fact I think because I have been so open about it and my struggles to lose weight, I have never heard those words uttered from anyone who knows. I am not ashamed of anything I do, because I do it for ME, NOT them! This is my TOOL to get to where I need to go and I couldnt be happier!!!

I am on my way to a healthier, leaner me! :drinker:
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    People are judgmental. A girl in my office had gastric bypass surgery several years ago and my boss was rude and horrible about it. He kept saying she was taking the easy way out. Well, I've seen my SIL and my friend go through it, and there is nothing easy about eating 500-600 calories a day for months and making sure everything you put in your mouth is protein, protein....etc. I say if you've tried to lose weight faithfully and that is a decision you make for yourself, you live with the consequences. Most people just aren't educated about the procedure and don't understand it.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    A couple of years ago at my heaviest weight 175lbs I approached my doctor and asked to go see a cosmetic surgeon to have lipo and a tummy tuck. His first thing was to put me on Orlistat tablets...even though I told him I didn`t eat a high fat diet.

I tried them for 4 months and lost 2 lbs. (Still in denial that I was actually overeating/under exercising on my low fat diet)

I went with my husband to see the surgeon...he told me I would have to lose at least 14lbs to have surgery/lipo that would only make a small difference.

I couldn`t understand how I got to being 175lbs when I didn`t overeat (in my mind)

Now I am losing the weight sensibly I no longr have the desire to go `under the knife`.....but I can understand peoples wishes to tranform their bodies when they are so unhappy
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear such openness about WLS but it's not common. I have had the gastric lap band and am winning my weight loss battles. People tell me I look great etc but very few know about my surgery. Number one, it's my health, my business. Number two, I'm sick of hearing that I took the easy or lazy way out.

I didn't. For me this was a last resort. It's still hard work but it is working. The band is one leg of a three legged stool. The other two are eating healthily and exercise.I have to work all three for success.

I'm down 99lb, have just eaten my Weetbix for breakfast and now it's time to cycle 27km to work. thanks to my band I have made the lifestyle changes to do that.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    *flame suit on*

From my experience the general consensus is that having any sort of surgery for people without real medical conditions is trying to shortcut the process. People who are just impatient for the results. For 99% of overweight people a healthier diet and exercise WILL cause weight loss at a sensible rate. IMO "healthy" people, i.e. those who's only medical problems are being overweight, who take any form of surgery are either lazy, lack willpower, or are just too impatient.

But, as mentioned earlier, it's your choice! I'd rather just do the safest way, which is healthier eating and exercise. :)
  • Hippititimus
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about it to be honest

On the one hand I really admire and support anyone who has the surgery - personally I would really not want to have it - not great at the whole medical procedure thing. Here in the UK its not something that you can get easily so I'm probably only half the size i would need to be to get it, even though I am twice the size I ought to be!

On the other hand I can only question the commitment of people who get large enough to require it - not judging or anything, god knows I'm not in a position to judge - but i feel that someone of my size and bigger who says they have tried to lose weight but cant is probably involved in kiddology .

Really not judging but i think sometimes we like to kid ourselves that it is not our fault.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Yes their does seem to be a stigma that suggests that people who have those surgeries were either too big or too lazy to lose the weight the "right way". In all honesty that's an unfair generalization although I'm sure in some cases there are people to whom that may hold some truth. The other thing that doesn't help with that stigma are the rare but often repeated stories of the person who goes and gets the surgery and then continues to make the bad food choices and gains the weight right back.

On the flip side, my wife's grandmother had some form of gastric bypass surgery performed a few years ago. She was definitely obese and extremely diabetic. At 60+ years old, surgery was the best option to make sure she could extend her life (given her age the odds are against her being successful in a traditional weight loss approach). So years later she's relatively trim, watches her diet and more importantly her portion sizes like a hawk. The result is that she is no longer symptomatic as a diabetic. Her blood sugars are completely normal, her insulin levels respond appropriately once again and she's in much better shape than she's been in over 40 years. She's extremely proud of her progress and I can tell you it has not come without hard work on her part. Anyone that would put her down for having that surgery would be a complete fool.

So I agree, I don't think anyone has the right to be judgmental about it and those that have gone through having surgery have no reason to feel ashamed or embarrassed.
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My sister lost over a hundred pounds by having a gastric bypass, and has kept it off for 3 years now. It definately was not easy for her and still isn't easy to maintain. She is not ashamed to tell others of her struggles with doing it and why she chose to go that route. She'll tell you that it isn't something that is for everyone but it was the only thing that helped her that kept her dedicated to her ultimate goal. She is happier than she has been in a long time and has learned alot about how to eat, what portion she needs to eat and how she has to exercise to maintain her current weight. I applaud anyone who loses that much weight no matter how they do it.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have not had the procedure, but I know people that have. Having surgery does not guarantee weight loss. You have to follow the rules and exercise. I know a guy that was about 450 pounds. He lost about 50 pounds, stopped following the guidelines and now weighs about 470. I know a girl that had bypass and had a gastric leak. She almost died. It is not an easy way out in my opinion. For some people, it really is vital. Many are ticking timebombs. Also, when super obsese, exercise can be virtually impossible...how are those people supposed to effectively lose weight in time to prevent death?