Why do I do this?

Options
So frustrated. I have logged in and tracked every day for the past 50 days (yay!) but the past few days I've been struggling... I do well all day, but then blow it in the evenings. I'm not sure if it's lack of planning or what. But I HAVE been more hungry (physically) than usual as well... What is up!? Work has been stressful, I'm home alone in the evenings til hubby gets home, and weekends kill me, which maybe is why Mondays are hard...

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Probably the stress...find something to do during the downtime before your hubby gets home. Keep yourself occupied. And maybe plan out your dinners?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So frustrated. I have logged in and tracked every day for the past 50 days (yay!) but the past few days I've been struggling... I do well all day, but then blow it in the evenings. I'm not sure if it's lack of planning or what. But I HAVE been more hungry (physically) than usual as well... What is up!? Work has been stressful, I'm home alone in the evenings til hubby gets home, and weekends kill me, which maybe is why Mondays are hard...

I do that too. I can only imagine that I'm doing it because I'm not getting enough of the right calories throughout the day. Sometimes, I'll do really well all day, have dinner, and then I'm starving around 1030pm. My doctor says that I just keep shredding calories after an intense workout, and that's why I have those late hunger spikes. Who knows...
  • cacraft
    cacraft Posts: 76
    Options
    Last night I was home alone (hubby is away this week) and it was the first time I've actually been so strongly tempted to nibble in the evening. I made myself a cup a tea and forcefully ignored the cravings!

It's not always easy to do - but I've got my eye on the goal line and be damned if I'm going to let a cookie (or two, or three) derail me!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Can you go for a quick walk before hubby gets home? I've found that if I work out in the evenings, it's a lot easier to have a small dinner.

Also try planning your meals out a couple of days in advance, that way you'll know what you can/can't eat during the day.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I struggle in the evenings and on the weekends myself. I finally figured out I was bored. At work I have a very structured routine and it makes it much easier plus it's hard to go to the pantry and snack if the pantry isn't there. I had to start routines at home, and they are much harder, things are always coming up. But a cup of tea in the evening after my post-workout shower has helped my evening snacking a ton. On weekends, I am pushing myself to do stuff I keep putting off, organizing something, washing down something. A little bit more added to my weekend chores every week means less time for me to wander into the kitchen. Good luck!
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I have had to ignore cravings as well. It is difficult because we have a ton of snacks because of school lunches. Also trail mix for my oldest who has cross country after school. Easy munchie stuff. I usually try to have water or some healthy snack to deter my cravings. Some days I call my mom or someone else because I won't eat when I am on the phone. Good luck and you are doing great being on here for 50 days!
  • akburmeister
    Options
    Thanks for all the words. Something that really struck me is that maybe I'm not eating the "right" calories throughout the day... I need to make sure I'm filling up on nutritional and healthy "fuel" items.

Another thing I realized is that I didn't get a good workout in today. I took my puppy for her usual walk, but didn't do anything else. This no sunrise til 7:15 a.m. stuff is killing me. I did order a sunrise simulator in hopes it'll get me movin in the a.m. I'm a big morning work-outer and if I don't do it then I struggle to do it at all (except on Tues and Thurs when I have Zumba). So that's my own issue that I've got to get better about.

I will be back on track tomorrow, just needed to vent a little. Thanks all.
  • V_Zanoudakis
    V_Zanoudakis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    driiiinkkk water! when you have a craving just chug water. plus if you're drinking enough water throughout the day it should lower your food intake all together. also read. when you're watching tv you have a habit to eat, no? if you read your mind is too busy to think about food and your hands are busy holding the book. plus how incredibly relaxing is a cup of tea, a fire, and a book? am i right?
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Did I post this? No, guess not since I don't have a "hubby"

I am looking to change my evening habits too. Maybe go for a walk? ride the bike? clean the house (boring... lol)

Some kind of hobby or evening project I think is what I need....
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    Evenings are the worst for me too. I get so busy with work during the day then come evening my brain is "idle" I like the idea of reading! I also need to get off my butt and get excersie in, hard with the lack of daylight though.
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    Someone on MFP posted an acronym that I really like and have learned to use. It is HALT. When I think I want something to eat, I stop and ask myself am I HUNGRY, ANGRY, TIRED or LONELY? If the answer is anything but hungry, find a way to feed that need without using food. If am am hungry, as Dr. Oz said "if you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, you are not hungry", I go cut up an apple. Takes some discipline, but I have learned a bit about myself in the process.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You haven't started taking any medications that cause an increase in appetite, have you? I recently realized that was part of my problem. Boredom is also a factor for me.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like that HALT thing.

but i bet you probably aren't getting enough food during the day. do you have a big breakfast in the morning? healthy but plentiful snack though the day? i find that if i eat something every 4 hours or so i can usually hold up until a 730pm dinner, and then stick to my dinner plan.
  • akburmeister
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have lots of health magazines I haven't been able to read, so glad you guys reminded me I could do that instead of snack :) I also like the HALT and apple idea... :) I am going to have to keep both of those in mind...

I'm sure my dog would love getting her evening walk again (along with her morning walk) so I will try some of these ideas.

You guys are the best... it's nice to be able to vent and get some constructive criticism, sometimes it's the simplest things that get overlooked. :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I have had to ignore cravings as well. It is difficult because we have a ton of snacks because of school lunches. Also trail mix for my oldest who has cross country after school. Easy munchie stuff. I usually try to have water or some healthy snack to deter my cravings. Some days I call my mom or someone else because I won't eat when I am on the phone. Good luck and you are doing great being on here for 50 days!

Oh man, trail mix is the DEVIL. You think it's healthy til you realize that a "serving" wouldn't fill ANYONE up. I can eat 4 servings without blinking.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Thanks for all the words. Something that really struck me is that maybe I'm not eating the "right" calories throughout the day... I need to make sure I'm filling up on nutritional and healthy "fuel" items.

Another thing I realized is that I didn't get a good workout in today. I took my puppy for her usual walk, but didn't do anything else. This no sunrise til 7:15 a.m. stuff is killing me. I did order a sunrise simulator in hopes it'll get me movin in the a.m. I'm a big morning work-outer and if I don't do it then I struggle to do it at all (except on Tues and Thurs when I have Zumba). So that's my own issue that I've got to get better about.

I will be back on track tomorrow, just needed to vent a little. Thanks all.

You must live near me! I am in Seattle, and it's really tough for me to get out of bed when it's so dark outside. I'm used to the East Coast where I have sunrise around 5am every day in Boston. What's a sunrise simulator? Pricing?
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look through your diary for the past week or so. I see a lot of junk food in there...

It's definitely hard to say no to that kind of stuff when it's always around in your home....so the easier thing to do is just stop buying it. Fill up the fridge/freezer/cupboards with good foods! Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes. Throw some blueberries in the freezer to snack on as a nice treat. Put some low sodium jerky in the cupboard, or some almonds.

.....one thing I forgot to ask was......what are your goals for being on here? Just eating healthier? Weight-loss?
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look through your diary for the past week or so. I see a lot of junk food in there...

It's definitely hard to say no to that kind of stuff when it's always around in your home....so the easier thing to do is just stop buying it. Fill up the fridge/freezer/cupboards with good foods! Carrot sticks, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes. Throw some blueberries in the freezer to snack on as a nice treat. Put some low sodium jerky in the cupboard, or some almonds.

.....one thing I forgot to ask was......what are your goals for being on here? Just eating healthier? Weight-loss?

I agree. Unless your version of chicken enchilada has alot of veggies in it, you should up your vegetable intake. For the past two weeks you've not had much. Veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatos) can be great late night snacks to get you through to the next morning's breakfast.
  • akburmeister
    Options
    Thanks for the honest feedback. I did get some baby carrots and sliced apples and so far today my eating has been great. I agree, the junk food is my weakness.

My goal for being on here isnt' necessarily weight loss, but more or less management and exercise/fitness/health. I was at 134 pounds in the spring and currently am at 119 which is essentially in my ideal/goal range (117-120) so maintaining is more the name of my game.

I do need to get some jerky- I love it and haven't had it as a snack for awhile, along with more berries and other fruit.

Look up Sunrise Simulator on Amazon... runs about $100 bucks but I'm hoping it will be worth it!
  • Jess22542
    Options
    Evenings are really hard for me too! It's a constant battle. Here is what I do:

- Pace myself during dinner. Eat my salad first. Then cook. Take my time eating (like make effort to eat at a ace you feel is slow)
    - Splurge one day/week. I usually do Saturdays. I have whatever I have been craving. It helps me battle all week. "If I can just be good until Saturday, I can have pizza." If I cheat before then, no splurging.
    - Plan for 100-200 calories of eating after dinner. That way you don't feel as guilty about it. And you';re more likely to keep it to the amount you've planned. So I do a breakdown like this:
    Breakfast - 250 calories
    Snack - 100 calories
    Lunch - 300 calories
    Snack - 100 calories
    Dinner - 500 calories (this is after my evening work outs and I'm always starving)
    Snack - 150 calories