I found a no calorie, no carb, and no fat or sodium water fl

Options
2»

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Just a little tidbit of info.
    Kidney Int. 2010 Apr;77(7):609-16. Epub 2009 Dec 23.
    Sugar-sweetened soda consumption, hyperuricemia, and kidney disease.
    Bomback AS, Derebail VK, Shoham DA, Anderson CA, Steffen LM, Rosamond WD, Kshirsagar AV.
    SourceDivision of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA. asb68@columbia.edu

Abstract
    The metabolism of high-fructose corn syrup used to sweeten soda drinks may lead to elevations in uric acid levels. Here we determined whether soda drinking is associated with hyperuricemia and, as a potential consequence, reduced kidney function. At baseline, 15,745 patients in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study completed a dietary questionnaire and had measurements of their serum creatinine and uric acid. After 3 and 9 years of follow-up, multivariate odds ratios from logistic regressions for binary outcome of hyperuricemia and chronic kidney disease (eGFR less than 60 ml/min per 1.73 m(2)) were evaluated. Compared to participants who drank less, consumption of over one soda per day was associated with increased odds of prevalent hyperuricemia and chronic kidney disease. The odds ratio for chronic kidney disease significantly increased to 2.59 among participants who drank more than one soda per day and had a serum uric acid level over 9.0 mg/dl. In longitudinal analyses, however, drinking more than one soda per day was not associated with hyperuricemia or chronic kidney disease. Neither preexistent hyperuricemia nor development of hyperuricemia modified the lack of association between soda drinking and incident chronic kidney disease. Thus our study shows that high consumption of sugar-sweetened soda was associated with prevalent but not incident hyperuricemia and chronic kidney disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20032963
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Or just don't have pure water. Drink tea/coffee/soda/juice/eat more fruit/veg. I can't remember the last time i drank pure water, on it's own! No need to! :)

Worst. Advice. Evar.

Can you share why you think its bad advice.

Because coffee is a diuretic, it dehydrates. Soda is too, because of carbonation and sodium. Plus soda and fruit juice are generally too sugary to really be that healthy (in large quantities). Someone who drinks 8 cups of soda, fruit juice or coffee a day will not be adequately hydrated as a person who drinks 8 cups of water.

I wish I had the link handy, but recent studies show coffee and soda still hydrate. They are diuretics, but the water they cause you to eliminate is more than made up for by the water in the drink, unless you are drinking more than 8-10 cups a day. As long as you are properly logging what you drink, the calories (and carbs from the sugars) will be tracked, and people can adjust their diets to meet their goals appropriately.

As long as you monitor it, you can easily keep yourself hydrated without drinking any plain water. In general, just check your urine - the more color it has, the more liquids you need. If it is pale to colorless, you are usually doing it right. Some medical conditions can cause more or less color, but in general this is a good guideline unless your doctor has told you otherwise.

I drink water reasonably often, but more often than not, I drink tea, rooibos, homemade chai ( all unsweetened) or milk instead of water, and I count it all towards my 8 glasses a day. Even when I have a glass of juice I count it, and log it too for the calories and nutrients.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Also on diet soda:
    Diabetes Care. 2009 Apr;32(4):688-94. Epub 2009 Jan 16.
    Diet soda intake and risk of incident metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).
    Nettleton JA, Lutsey PL, Wang Y, Lima JA, Michos ED, Jacobs DR Jr.
    SourceDivision of Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, Texas, USA. jennifer.a.nettleton@uth.tmc.edu

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE: We determined associations between diet soda consumption and risk of incident metabolic syndrome, its components, and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Diet soda consumption was assessed by food frequency questionnaire at baseline (2000-2002). Incident type 2 diabetes was identified at three follow-up examinations (2002-2003, 2004-2005, and 2005-2007) as fasting glucose >126 mg/dl, self-reported type 2 diabetes, or use of diabetes medication. Metabolic syndrome (and components) was defined by National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III criteria. Hazard ratios (HRs) with 95% CI for type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and metabolic syndrome components were estimated, adjusting for demographic, lifestyle, and dietary confounders.

RESULTS: At least daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36% greater relative risk of incident metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater relative risk of incident type 2 diabetes compared with nonconsumption (HR 1.36 [95% CI 1.11-1.66] for metabolic syndrome and 1.67 [1.27-2.20] for type 2 diabetes). Of metabolic syndrome components, only high waist circumference (men >or=102 cm and women >or=88 cm) and high fasting glucose (>or=100 mg/dl) were prospectively associated with diet soda consumption. Associations between diet soda consumption and type 2 diabetes were independent of baseline measures of adiposity or changes in these measures, whereas associations between diet soda and metabolic syndrome were not independent of these factors.

CONCLUSIONS: Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19151203
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try - I'd like something clear to add to my water bottle that won't go bad if left in my locker overnight :)

I count my green tea as water. The HARD RULE of 8 glasses has no real science behind it - what IS known is that we need to keep hydrated above the standard levels and to a degree, more is better. The old theory that any caffeine or flavor automatically negates the water is just silly - unless your stomach is totally empty it's going to mix with SOMETHING.

Plus - I drink a LOT more water when it has a flavor like my green tea!

I do know that some people don't count calories in drinks which is also (IMHO) silly since soda or sweetened drinks can have a ton of calories. I have to bank my calories during the day for my red wine at night :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/tea-types-and-their-health-benefits

Here's an article on the benefits of different types of teas.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Also on diet soda:
    Diet soda intake and risk of incident metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).
    SourceDivision of Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, Texas, USA. jennifer.a.nettleton@uth.tmc.edu

Abstract
    OBJECTIVE: We determined associations between diet soda consumption and risk of incident metabolic syndrome, its components, and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Diet soda consumption was assessed by food frequency questionnaire at baseline (2000-2002). Incident type 2 diabetes was identified at three follow-up examinations (2002-2003, 2004-2005, and 2005-2007) as fasting glucose >126 mg/dl, self-reported type 2 diabetes, or use of diabetes medication. Metabolic syndrome (and components) was defined by National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III criteria. Hazard ratios (HRs) with 95% CI for type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and metabolic syndrome components were estimated, adjusting for demographic, lifestyle, and dietary confounders.

RESULTS: At least daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36% greater relative risk of incident metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater relative risk of incident type 2 diabetes compared with nonconsumption (HR 1.36 [95% CI 1.11-1.66] for metabolic syndrome and 1.67 [1.27-2.20] for type 2 diabetes). Of metabolic syndrome components, only high waist circumference (men >or=102 cm and women >or=88 cm) and high fasting glucose (>or=100 mg/dl) were prospectively associated with diet soda consumption. Associations between diet soda consumption and type 2 diabetes were independent of baseline measures of adiposity or changes in these measures, whereas associations between diet soda and metabolic syndrome were not independent of these factors.

CONCLUSIONS: Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

I have to point out the one major flaw in this study, in case it isn't obvious to others. People with, or at risk of diabetes or other insulin resistance diseases are most likely already drinking diet sodas because of their condition, in an attempt to control blood sugar levels, not that drinking diet sodas led to the condition.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i drink plain water because i think plain water is delicious!

i do occasionally (less than once a week) have moi, diet a&w, flavored bubbly water. last night i had a lemon vitamin water zero over dinner after my first day of 30ds
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I found one that is no calorie, no carb, no fat, no sodium and no artificial sweetners (which Mio has). It's called tea. It even comes in a no caffeine variety.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    if there's no nutritional value in this Mio water, does that mean all ingredients are weird chemicals we can't pronounce?

That depends. Can you pronounce Sucralose?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Also on diet soda:

Abstract

I have to point out the one major flaw in this study, in case it isn't obvious to others. People with, or at risk of diabetes or other insulin resistance diseases are most likely already drinking diet sodas because of their condition, in an attempt to control blood sugar levels, not that drinking diet sodas led to the condition.

Did you actually read the study?

I can also link more if you'd like.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Also on diet soda:

Abstract

I don't think that's necessarily a flaw in the study, but it is why this study fails to show that diet sodas raise the risk of developing diabetes. Risk of developing a disease and risk of incidence of the diesease are not the same thing.
  • msstillion79
    Options
    Ok i didnt want to start a fight anyway for bcattoes i know about tea and it makes me sick i just wanted to let people know what i found and i will be cautious about the headaches please dont fight as for diabetics and diet soda u can drink it but in moderation that is from my dietian k and my choice of drinkin flavored water is because i feel so tired after drinkin pop and cause of acid refex.
  • shagybear33
    Options
    If your urine is dark then you need more hydration.

If it's pale and/or straw colored than you are getting enough fluids.

I have a friend who drinks only coffee all day long.....urine is dark yellow and smelly...

I drink coffee all day long, but alternate each cup with a cup of water...........urine is very pale yellow.

if you can drink juice, tea, coffee etc all day and have pale urine, then you're ok.

just my two cents. :D
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You didn't start a fight, so don't worry about that. I'm sorry you can't drink tea...I love tea! I'm glad you found something you like, though. The important thing is that you're getting fluids, and if you find something that makes it taste better, you're more likely to drink what you need. I'm still struggling with getting my "8 cups" in every day. That's harder than eating right, I think!
  • Laura32412
    Options
    I tried the iced tea flavor and couldn't stand it. It was actually too sweet for me, but I'm an unsweetened tea person. I've found that making iced green tea (unsweetened of course) at work helps me get my water in for the day since I hate drinking plain water. I'm sorry, but water does have a taste and it's not good. I also do lemon in my water at home and I find it makes me drink more water - maybe because of the tartness?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Also on diet soda:

Abstract

Did you actually read the study?

I can also link more if you'd like.
    Based on their abstract there, they didn't establish whether any of the people involved in the study had Diabetes before they established if they drank diet soda. If 100 people with diabetes drink diet soda, and I establish first that they drink diet soda, and then later establish that they have diabetes, how can I show any attempt at causality when I didn't establish whether they had diabetes or not before they drank diet soda?

The only possible way to do it is to take individuals that don't have Diabetes or drink diet soda, make them start drinking diet soda, and then wait for them to get diabetes. Otherwise there is no way to draw any significant causality link between them.