The Best Post Workout Drink

Options

Replies

• PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    BTW, if chocolate milk is good, I bet malted milk is even better. Love me some carnation malt powder in my milk.

No
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I heard Horizon Chocolate milk is the BEST... I just asked my fitness guru charge nurse and she said Mens Health published an article about it...
    http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/nutritious_foods_for_a_healthy_body/muscle_enhancer_chocolate_milk.php?page=2

I bought this in little "juice box" containers and its SO easy to take along in my lunch bag for after my workout in the morning. It does seem to help me feel full!
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    BTW, if chocolate milk is good, I bet malted milk is even better. Love me some carnation malt powder in my milk.

No

Peanut Butter Junkie, How can I get big arms for a female? I want some Jamie Eason arms.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

No

Peanut Butter Junkie, How can I get big arms for a female? I want some Jamie Eason arms.

If you are quite serious about adding mass, you can simply pop me a message and then we can discuss the matter and see where we can make adjustments.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    what do you think about chocolate almond milk?
  • PBJunkie
    Options

Heard great things about almond milk, unfortunately not available in South Africa. However I trust the protein will be even higher in almond milk making it ideal for post workout.
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. Anyone else heard this? Ive researched it and googled it a thousand times and I have heard that its the most effective way to repair/recover your body/muscles after a workout! Cool right? I hope this is the case because chocolate milk is cheaper than protein shakes LOL.

I have heard this and I love the fact that I get to drink chocolate milk. I have been doing this for about a month or so!! Love it!!!
  • siabevis
    Options

No

If you are quite serious about adding mass, you can simply pop me a message and then we can discuss the matter and see where we can make adjustments.

Ok awesome
  • rucougarchick
    rucougarchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I asked one of the Excercise PhD's at the university I work at and he said that chocolate milk has the right protein to sugar ratio so he agreed it is probably one of the best after workout drinks a person can have.
    :smile:
  • siabevis
    Options
    I asked one of the Excercise PhD's at the university I work at and he said that chocolate milk has the right protein to sugar ratio so he agreed it is probably one of the best after workout drinks a person can have.
    :smile:

COOL! Glad to hear that. Im so glad this is true.. I thought it was a joke at first... Gonna switch to CM for post workouts.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Unless you are an endurance athlete, your post work out drink/meal etc won't actually make much difference at all. Taking in the right nutrition throughout your days will be far more important. Milk, in general is a great food though, arguably one of the most 'nutritious'.
  • siabevis
    Options
    Unless you are an endurance athlete, your post work out drink/meal etc won't actually make much difference at all. Taking in the right nutrition throughout your days will be far more important. Milk, in general is a great food though, arguably one of the most 'nutritious'.

I want whatever will repair my muscles. ;)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    nobody has mentioned beer.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Too bad I don't drink milk. Protein shakes are gross :(
  • cpaisley88
    Options
    What you want as a post workout supplement depends on the type and intensity of the exercise. It's good to remember that when you exercise you are draining your body of nutrients; chocolate milk has the right mixture to restore most of the lost nutrients.

I wish beer was a better post work out drink, would certainly be more relaxing haha.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Check the protein content for your brand. I find most almond milks low in protein per serving, which surprised me because almonds themselves are an excellent source.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    You know I forgot to mention my favorite part about drinking chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Often times I end up ordering a chocolate milk when I go out with fellow referees after working a few games. Inevitably, one or a couple of them will make a snide remark when I order it, however once the waiter/waitress brings it to the table, those same folks end up talking about how good it looks.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    This is what you should ask yourself, does contain protein? Yes...does it contain a simple carb? Yes....does it taste good? Hell YES! but is it better than a protein shake? Probably not as the nutrient profile are likely to have less protein than a whey protein shake....this depends on how much you are planning to drink by the way.

Love the name lol Peanut Butter junkie. I love me some PB tooo!

That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

I want to kiss that baby's cheeks right off. What a cutie pie!
    Oh and yeah, the best way to eat peanut butter is with a spoon.

FunnySmile4.jpg
    HAHAHA!
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ugh!!! It figures it would be something I don't like!
  • rucougarchick
    rucougarchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the professor here at the university I work at I subscribe to this newsletter. In today's newsletter it covered this topic and so I thought I would share. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health E-Zine October 9, 2011

Recovering from Strenuous Exercise

Milk, all sugared soft drinks, and fruit juices all help athletes to recover faster from endurance exercise (Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, October 2011). This study shows that two sugars, galactose in milk and fructose in soft drinks and fruit juice, are the best sugars to replace sugar stored in liver. When you compete in endurance sports, sugar stored in muscles prevents HITTING THE WALL, and sugar stored in your liver prevents BONKING. Glucose, the sugar that circulates in your body, is far less effective in replacing stored sugar in liver.
    HOW YOUR BODY HANDLES THE DIFFERENT SUGARS: Carbohydrates are sugars, either alone, or bound together in doubles, triples, up to long chains of sugars. Fruit juices contain fructose and glucose bound together. Sugared soft drinks contain glucose and fructose, separately. Milk contains glucose and galactose bound together.
    Only single sugars can be absorbed from your intestines.
    Of all sugars, only four (glucose, fructose, galactose and
    mannose) can pass into your bloodstream. Glucose is the only sugar allowed to circulate in your body. Fructose and galactose are immediately taken up by your liver and are stored as sugar in your liver. When liver sugar stores are full, almost all fructose is converted to fat called triglycerides.
    OXYGEN LIMITS HOW FAST YOU CAN MOVE. The limiting factor to how fast you can move in sports that require endurance is the time it takes to move oxygen into muscles. Anything that reduces your need for oxygen or increases your oxygen supply will allow you to move faster in endurance events.
    HOW SUGAR MAKES YOU A BETTER ATHLETE. Sugar requires less oxygen to power your muscles than fat and protein do, so anything that helps you burn more sugar or supplies you with more sugar will give you more speed in events requiring endurance.
    YOU STORE SUGAR ONLY IN YOUR MUSCLES AND LIVER. Your body can store only a limited amount of sugar in your muscles, liver and blood. Sugar cannot be stored anywhere else. On the other hand, you can store an almost unlimited amount of fat.
    BONKING: Your brain gets almost 100 percent of its energy from sugar in your bloodstream. Your bloodstream contains only enough sugar to last three minutes, so your liver has to release its stored sugar to maintain blood sugar levels. However, there is only enough sugar stored in your liver to last up to 12 hours at rest, less during exercise. When blood sugar levels drop, you
    "bonk": your brain suffers from lack of its energy source, you feel weak and can even pass out. So you have to keep on taking sugar during prolonged exercise or store more sugar in your liver.
    Your liver can convert certain protein building blocks called branched chain amino acids into sugar to be used by your body, and your liver can release its stored sugar, but the most effective way to prevent bonking is to take carbohydrates
    (sugars) during exercise.
    HITTING THE WALL: Your muscles require less oxygen when they use sugar for fuel. Your muscles get sugar to be used for energy from your bloodstream, and from stored sugar in muscles.
    When your muscles run out of their stored sugar and you do not take sugar constantly, you "hit the wall": you lose power, your muscles hurt and you have to slow down.
    CARBOHYDRATE LOADING: Many years ago, athletes were told to eat lots of extra carbohydrates before athletic competitions requiring endurance. Scientists no longer recommend this. All fit athletes need do to store maximal amounts of sugar in their livers and muscles is to cut back on their workloads a few days before competition and eat a little extra carbohydrates. Once your muscles fill with their stored sugar supply, all the extra sugar from carbohydrates you take in is converted to fat which slows you down.
    IN SPORTS EVENTS REQUIRING ENDURANCE, IT IS MORE IMPORTANT TO TAKE SUGAR DURING COMPETITION. When you take sugar and you are not exercising, the sugar first fills up your sugar stored in your liver and muscles. Then all extra sugar is converted to fat that is stored in your body. Extra fat in muscles causes your muscles to use more fat and less sugar which can slow you down when you compete in sports. On the other hand, when you take sugar during competition, your contracting muscles remove the sugar from your bloodstream and use it for energy long before you store any extra fat.
    YOU RECOVER FROM COMPETITION FASTER WITH MILK AND SUGARED DRINKS. Galactose in milk and fructose in fruit juice and soft drinks replace stored liver sugar more than twice as fast as the
    single sugar, glucose. However, avoid sugared drinks when you
    are not exercising, since your muscles will not remove sugar as fast as when they were being exercised and blood sugar levels can rise too high, which can cause sugar to stick to the surface of cell membranes which can damage every cell in your body.
    SUMMING UP: You will have greater endurance if you take any source of sugar during competitions. You will recover faster from intense exercise by taking sources of fructose (fruit, table sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup) or galactose (milk) during and within one hour of finishing an endurance event. You should not take sugar at other times