Jogging or running?

Options
2»

Replies

• KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a run until I am at least going 7.0-7.5 MPH, I start jogging at 4.0, and walk below 4.0.
    Depending on your fitness the line between running and jogging could be different than mine, that being said, if you strides are shorter it is a jog, running requires longer strides.

Agree, I normally jog!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't move that fast so in my world (population 1) it's a run at 4.8 then a sprint at 6 mph...if I'm doing 7mph then I am clearly running down hill with a dog coming after me. I guess if I were a marathon runner I would be sensitive about it, but I'm not and I come back home DRENCHED so I get the job done.
    I love this and it also fits me to a 'T'! Make your world population = 2.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Physiologically:

If both feet leave the ground during the stride, you are running.

If one foot remains on the ground, you are walking.

Jogging is a descriptive term for a type of running--it is not something different than running.

Dammit!!! You beat me to it.

I've also heard that the other difference between a "jogger" and a "runner" is a race application! :wink:
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I prefer the term "run," because I am serious about training and getting faster, and it sounds more serious than "jog". That being said, I'm still working on speed and have a long way to go, so serious runners would probably label me a jogger anyway. ;)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of it in terms of effort, not speed. Jogging is an easy, effortless pace, you're running if you're pushing yourself.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    do you do it?

Then it doesn't matter...Just keep doing it!
  • amadapooky76
    Options
    hehe, i think I'm a "bouncer" too but at least we are trying!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a "bouncer"

hehehe, I still jog 5 mph.
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginning runner, but I'm def. a runner! No jogging about it ;)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I view it as this... Jogging is recreational, something you do for exercise or entertainment.

I'm a runner, I work constantly on my endurance, speed, distance, I'm always looking for my next race. I keep my workouts in mind for my running, I eat based upon my running, sleep and work schedules as wells as the kids and husband come around my schedule for running. Joggers don't do that :)

I too get annoyed when people say "I saw you out jogging". I try not to take it personally - LOL - But I correct them generally with "Ya that was my 12 mile run" which generally fixes the problem.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Jogging to me is something people did in the '70's to pick up a date or look like they were doing something athletic. I run because it makes me feel good to RUN. If I called it jogging it wouldn't feel as good and I wouldn't do it. Whatever works and keeps you going.