I'm new and I have a question...

Options
Question One: This may seem like a dumb question but is there a minimum amount of calories I should be consuming? I've heard 1500 thrown around but this thing calculates me at 1350.

Question Two: I created a profile on this tool yesterday and I'm confused by one of the following posting--is it good or bad to be under your calorie goal? I exercised and burned ~600 calories but I dont want to eat them all. I'm assuming its a good thing?

"completed her food and exercise diary for 10/03/2011 and was under her calorie goal"

Replies

• LauraWall727
    LauraWall727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to stick around the calorie goal that MFP gives me. Its what your body needs to function properly and not go into starvation mode. When you eat under (without working out) your body could go into starvation mode and tap into the wrong parts to get energy which makes it harder to lose weight. At least that is what I have learned in my weight loss journey. Also, to answer your second question, I try to NEVER eat my workout calories. That is where you will see weight loss. In NOT eating the calories you burn! I hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you need a buddy. I will be on this more when I get my iphone with the better app!! ;0) good luck
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    The number of calories that you can eat is entirely based on your bmi. So it is ok to eat less than 1500 calories if that is what is thought best. Usually people try not to go below 1200 calories.

to eat or not to eat your exercise calories? that is something that is debated on the forums here. some people eat them some people don't. for me personally there are days that i can get by not eating my exercise calories cause i'm not hungry and i consider this a bonus. there are other days i must eat those exercise calories cause i am hungry. most days i eat some but not all of the exercise calories. see what feels comfortable...just don't starve yourself. :)
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Without knowing more details of your situation it is hard to say how many calories you should be consuming. You can Google "daily caloric intake" or similar and you will get a number of sites showing you how to calculate your daily needs. That will give you something to compare versus what MFP suggests.

It is good to be under your calorie goal, just try not to be too far below your goal everyday. Do some research on daily calories and figuring your macros (protein, carbs, fat). It will help you on this journey and educate you a bit about proper nutrition.
  • mlbroad1
    Options
    my dietician calculated my calories for me . i always try to stay under my calories then if i slip then i dont kill myself for it but others can help you also
  • bgm5270
    bgm5270 Posts: 12
    Options
    All of these responses have good advice. You should also check out the BMR calculator in the tools section of this site. It gives you the number calories based on your profile that would keep you alive just laying in bed. My BMR is around 1800, my intake that I need to do my daily acitivites (based on the information in your profile (job, chores, height, weight, etc.)) is 2530, and my goal intake is 500 calories less than that 2030. And as always, these are guides to losing weight, if something doesn't feel good talk to a health professional. I am new to the site as well. Feel free to send a friend request. BGM5270