30DS and knee problems???

Options
I am on day 13 of 30DS and have started getting knee problems. Have never had knee trouble in my life and wondered if this is experienced by other shredders and what they have done about it?? Don't want to stop the programme but also don't want to wreck my knees beyond repairt.

I am average sized etc so it isn't a weight impact thing!

Replies

• jaimem11
    jaimem11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made it to Day 12 and had to stop because of how bad my knees hurt. I didn't want to but was afraid of doing permanent damage.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the point where I experienced awful knee and hip problems. I had to quit entirely and go back to Zumba. I'm now doing TurboFire with no problems either.

Hope your knees get better and you are able to figure out what is best for you!
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    i did 8 days lvl 1 and knees were killing me. i posted a thread and people said to take painkillers or work thru it. i had a day off and felt ok. then i did day 9 and the pain was worse. ive stopped now, my knees r fully recovered so im going to try lvl 2. hopefully i can do it if i just have a break inbetween the levels. this might work for u??
  • amyloola
    amyloola Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Me too ! My knee hurt so bad the other day, I had to take pain relief, but it's funny, they don't hurt during the exercises , just after, unless it's lunges, (but I have stopped doing them, I just do squats instead)
    I didn't want to stop because I am really enjoying the 30ds, in a painful kinda way lol

My knees started playing up around day 8
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My knees hurt in the beginning, now they barely bother me whatever program I'm doing. I've gotten stronger and more limber. I never did the jump lunges. They were simply too much for my weak knees. I modified. Now 4 months later and after 30DS and Supreme 90 Day, I can finally do them without feeling I'm going to hurt something, and my knees don't hurt.

The #1 reason why people's knees hurt, other than weakness is FORM FORM FORM. It is IMPERATIVE that form is perfect when doing anything that involves knees. Squats and lunges must have good form to prevent injury to knees. A lot of times, people are just doing too much or they are putting their knees in the wrong position, and that's where the knee pain comes in.

Take it slower and get the form down. You will one day find you are stronger.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Your body is talking so listen to it! I am recovering from messing up my knee so I wouldn't recommend working thru the pain like I did since this put me out for a week and a half! Try low impact exercises or floor exercises until the pain subsides and then slowly add it back in - I have been wearing a knee brace while doing 30DS for the added support and I have just been doing some of the modified exercises to make sure I don't trigger another problem. I would also recommend ice and heat - I brought an ice-pack to work and iced for about 10 mins every hour and this really helped. Good luck!!!
  • amkelley
    Options
    I had knee problems for about 2 1/2 weeks when I started the 30 DS. I have zero knee problems whatsoever now and I finished the 30 DS on Sept 23rd I think....Now continue to do the video almost every single day- although I have missed a day or 2 here and there since I completed the initial 30 days straight. Anyway.....I kept complaining to my husband and he said it is because my body was not used to supporting that kind of daily movement so my knees were weak........now that my body is used to it I dont have any problems. I dont know if thats true but I figured I'd throw it out there to ya!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Am fairly confident my form is Ok as do similar exercises at the gym and the trainer there says form is good. It's only been bothering me since starting level 2 so will keep a close eye on it.
  • kiwipearls
    Options
    I am doing lower than the low impact versions of the exercises. I cannot star jump and I am not good at the jump rope. So I basically move one foot off the ground at a time - making sure to make my heart pump.

I don't think it matters all to well if we don't do her routine precisely - as long as we are trying without hurting ourselves and modify the moves for our bodies and our ailments. :D
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues on and off. So it has in the past, stopped my exercising for periods of time.

Like, I used to run down to my daughters school, but after 3 wks, I had such bad knee pain I had to stop. Same happens with too much downhill walking.

I've had issues at least twice with my knees during the 30 DS. I'm hoping I can just push through it. I adjust my form, in case that's my problem and don't squat so low if it's causing me pain. But at the moment, I've had a sore back since starting level 2 yesterday.

I can't win!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My knees started hurting a few days into level 2, as well! I've got 3 more days of level 2, and then 10 days on level 3...and it only hurts AFTER I do it--not during. But I'm hoping it's just because I haven't done these kind of exercises before, and my body is adjusting. :smile:
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also have experienced some knee discomfort. I am now using a lightweight Ace knee support to help with the impact that I am not used to doing anymore. That seems to have stopped further pain and I am more comfortable even doing jumping jacks now. I am staying away from the high impact stuff until I get a bit stronger overall in those areas that have gotten som out of shape over the years...lol
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I experience more knee pain doing 30DS than I do in my regular workout. So instead of just giving up, I'm modifying all of my moves.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    I hear about people all the time having knee issues with this program. I'm betting more than anything else there's an issue with form.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any pre- existing knee problems, you really shouldn't be experiencing that much knee pain. Squats and lunges and such aren't easy on your knees by any means, but they shouldn't cause damage. You're most likely having issues with form. Watch the form of the ladies on the video and make sure you're doing it like them! Watch yourself in a mirror to make sure you've got it right. I would recommended doing the "easier" versions if you're experiencing a lot of pain - it's still a good workout if your squats aren't as low as possible!

I've had knee surgery and wear a knee brace during all my workouts. Level 1 was the worst for me because of the side lunges. I accommodated my pain by doing wide squats instead. You can always do that same for specific exercises that cause you pain!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    I hear about people all the time having knee issues with this program. I'm betting more than anything else there's an issue with form.

hmm not sure - do squats and lunges at the gym and form is fine - trainer has commented i do them perfectly so not sure what it is - and i didnt have any knee problems in level 1 with all the squats and lunges.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Are there jump lunges or jump squats in the program?
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my knees during Level 2. I was about half way through level 2 then stopped. I've never had knee issues before. I'd definitely try to swap movements (say squats for lunges, jump rope for the low impact modified version, etc). And the other option is not doing it every day.

I had the most knee pain during the lunges but not much otherwise. I have never ever had problems before with lunges (jump lunges and all) but now it hurts after a few lunges. I think for me at least it was doing the exact same moves every single day. I was doing some ChaLEAN Xtreme videos (Fat Burn Challenge I think it was) and it had A LOT of moving lunges and they never hurt my knees. BUT I didn't do it every single day. So maybe try doing it only so many days a week instead and slowly build up to more.

Working through the pain is not necessarily the best. It's horrible, HORRIBLE advice to give. Sometimes you just need to build up strength...but not always. My friend was doing Insanity, had pain in her knees, continued to workout and she messed up her knees so badly that she couldn't walk and she's still having problems with her knees (this happened in June) so you want to be really really careful when it comes to your knees. I stopped doing 30DS about a month ago I think and every now and then my knees really hurt again.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Are there jump lunges or jump squats in the program?

Nope. The lunges and squats in level 1 killed my quads but they are good now. Not sure what it is about level 2 - the lunges and squats are more static this time, and my knees are fine during all the strength part, it's only the cardio that hurts them which is most odd!