Migraine after workout

Options
So, I tend to get a migraine about once every few months but the one I got tonight was particularly bad. I had just finished an hour long intense conditioning class. Does this happen to anyone else? I know I'm not dehydrated, I drink a ton of water.......

Replies

• apee24
    apee24 Posts: 46
    Options
    I tend to get headaches myself after working out and had wondered about that myself. I have bulging disks in my neck, though, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that.
  • mikoperez
    Options
    I get exercised induced migraines if I don't cool down properly or do an intense workout without a fan. I have to arrive early to all my group exercise classes to claim a spot where the fans will hit me. It's all about heat retention and finding ways to make sure I don't overheat. Physiologically I don't know if that is an issue with you, but that is what is happening with my migraines.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Happens to me when I first start getting into an exercise regimen again after a long period of time of, well, laziness, LOL. Really though, it persists for a couple weeks for me (after exercise) then I guess my body gets used to it, and the headaches/migraines don't come back.
  • beautyonhold
    Options
    i get severe migrains quite often, and have to take medication for them - but i notice them happening often when i workout or don't eat enough.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I have no insight into WHAT'S triggering them ( I battle them and there are SEVERAL triggers)- but if you have a portable blood pressure cuff, it might be worth your while to check your readings- and see if it's ELEVATED higher than it should be-
    but either way, it would be a WISE choice to talk to your doctor.

But may I share something I've used to help alleviate not just migraines- but warding off ANY headache before it escalates...

I use pure peppermint oil- applied topically to wherever it aches the most- which, for me, is generally the forehead,
    behind the ears and the base of the neck. If there's any nausea brewing, I also apply it to my stomach area.
    IF your skin is overly sensitive, you may need to apply a lightweight carrier oil- such as baby oil FIRST as it MAY burn the skin.

Also, be VERY careful NOT to get it too close to the eyes- the fumes are VERY potent.
    And do NOT wear or handle contacts at the time- the oil on your hands may get in your eyes- or on the contacts.

I have been using peppermint oil for YEARS- and I used to make @ least 2-3 trips to the ER for Imitrex shots-
    I can say I've been to the ER probably 2-3 times in the last decade...and ALL those were due to elevated Blood Pressure- something even peppermint oil CAN'T help.

Best Wishes to you- I KNOW the pain. Before I uncovered MOST of the triggers, I spent 2 or 3 days flat on my back, unable to move without hurling. Now that I know what to avoid in the way of food stuff/physiological triggers, IF I get one, it seldom keeps me down more than 12 hrs. ( and that's recuperating from the 'hangover' type effect after it lets up)

You can find pure peppermint oil @ most health food stores. Be sure it says PURE peppermint oil.

Just sharing what's helped me.
  • littleenginethatcan
    Options
    Read this article: http://www.severe-headache-expert.com/exercise-induced-headache.html

My husband gets headaches due to exercise, and exertion. He takes naproxen (Aleve) about two hours before a workout and it has been working.