9 Week Holiday Challenge (close group) wk 2

Options

Replies

• jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday 10/4/11: Now that you have been communicating with your partner for a full week, except our newest member on the blue team, I'm sure you have some words of encouragement, congratulations, thankfulness or up lifting... Today is give your partner a public shout out day..

MAMADEE you are an amazing partner! I have been all gung ho for the last 2 weeks, but this week has been harder :( Mamadee has really helped me stay on top of what I really want. She is such a great partner! I look forward to seeing what walking she gets done woth her grandson everyday :) i think we are all doing great in this challenge, but I couldn't ask for a better partner! And once again Congrats for being the weekiy (co)winner!!!! Thank you so much for being a great partner :)
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday 10/4/11: Now that you have been communicating with your partner for a full week, except our newest member on the blue team, I'm sure you have some words of encouragement, congratulations, thankfulness or up lifting... Today is give your partner a public shout out day..

Tameko2, I am glad we are teammates. I know you have been moving and have been very busy, and you still find time to be encouraging, and kind. I appreciate our conversations, and your support, I look forward to our weeks together. Keep up the good work.
  • Gazer362
    Gazer362 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I'd like to give a shout out to my partner Mummy2steven. Thanks for all the positive energy! You're a great role model - getting exercise in even with a small child - and an awesome weight loss on week one to show for it! Thanks for your encouragement.

I'd like to also sent a shout out to both MammaDee2 and jnell82 - we were partners for a short time - but you guys are great! Thanks very much!
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

My partner is Eatone1 and she is really wonderful. She is very encouraging to me and I look forward to her emails! She has a very upbeat personality and we also talk about our faith, which is a huge part of this journey.

I was originally partnered with getitamb and we have continued to email each other. I love that she continued to ask how I was and encourage me, even though she didn't have to! She's got a heart of gold, definitely!

To StarsNYC21-Thank you so much for starting this challenge. This was exactly what I needed and I love being able to say that I am in a "weight loss challenge" and can't mess up because of it! I know that this must take a lot of time and organization on your part, but please know that you are making a HUGE difference in our lives!
  • ChatSournois
    Options

I'm so sorry that I'm late in replying to this question. Starsnyc21, you really are an inspiration. You are one of the strongest people I know and you never give up. I want to thank you for setting this challenge up and putting all the work in to it. It's really motivating to get your message every day and to know that there's someone in the same boat as me. You are very funny too!. You are so positive that I know that you are going to smash this challenge. Unfortunately for you, I am going to have to continue messaging you after this challenge finishes or I will get withdrawal symptoms, lol. Keep smiling!!.You are the original Star..the original and best!
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successfuly weight loss?

The main reason I gained weight was a huge change to my lifestyle from being very active, to no activity after I became a mom and started taking care of my husband who was disabled.

The biggest factor in my success for weight loss now? Taking it in phases. I think losing a certain amount and then maintaining it for a while (letting my body adjust), then working at it again. When I have tried to lose it all at one, I gained it back. Losing it in smaller phases has been easier to maintain.

Steph (Have a great day everyone!)
  • prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successfuly weight loss?

Well, the biggest factor in my weight gain was I loved to eat all the wrong kinds of foods and I let myself get just plain lazy.

The biggest factor in my losing weight so far has been several things. First, I WANT to be healthy and take care of my body. So putting healthy foods into my body was where I needed to start. Next is the exercise part and I know how hard it is to get motivated to actually start exercising and I felt I needed help with that. So by becoming a beachbody coach, it gave me the accountability I needed to get that workout in. I just kept telling myself it's part of my job now and I have to do it. I can't be giving out advice to people and not doing what I tell them to do. And last, having an accountability partner does wonders in factoring in my success. Like when I want to have an extra portion at a meal and I know that I shouldn't, I think to myself, I don't want to have to tell my accountability partner that I had more than I should have, so just stop there and don't take the extra portion.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options

The biggest factor in my weight gain is plain and simple....I WAS lazy! And I ate all the wrong things. There were days when I would have ice cream with warm chocolate chip cookies on top drizzled with chocolate syrup, and that would last a week straight! BAD RHONDA! I just couldn't say NO!

I was also bad with "I'll start FRESH Monday". Well sure, I started fresh on Monday but ended up stale on Wednesday. Then I just gave up! Told myself, "oh well, my husband loves me just the way I am, why bother"

Well I'll tell you why I bothered. It was because I didn't love me! I hit 40 and I felt frumpy! I seen the commercial for Turbo Fire, ordered it and I 'm now on Week 10 of 20! Almost half way done! Not only do I feel better physically...more importantly I feel better mentally! Remember that, when you want to give up, just think of how good you feel after you work out. And it seems the "happiness" lasts all day long! This is the path I choose to take. I hope you all take it with me!

Great question by the way!

Thanks!

Rhonda
  • DarleneMedeiros
    Options

The biggest factor in my weight gain is mindless eating. Eating to satisfy a craing and not really paying attention to how much I eat. I also have a problem with portion control. The biggest factor in succesful weight loss is tracking what I eat.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

My partner is Eatone1 and she is really wonderful. She is very encouraging to me and I look forward to her emails! She has a very upbeat personality and we also talk about our faith, which is a huge part of this journey.

I was originally partnered with getitamb and we have continued to email each other. I love that she continued to ask how I was and encourage me, even though she didn't have to! She's got a heart of gold, definitely!

To StarsNYC21-Thank you so much for starting this challenge. This was exactly what I needed and I love being able to say that I am in a "weight loss challenge" and can't mess up because of it! I know that this must take a lot of time and organization on your part, but please know that you are making a HUGE difference in our lives!

Awww thank you Luvmybee, so sweet:wink:
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Biggest factor in weight gain is just being lazy and hating healthy foods. I have been addicted to fast food for years. For years I ate McDonalds 2 times a day at least, every single day. For years. No joke! It was bad! Looking back a couple of things happened right during that time, I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my oldest daughter got diagnosed with profound mental retardation and a host of other things. When all of the dreams I had for my daughter were ruined and I knew that her life would be so hard for her I think I just gave up, let the thyroid problem take over, and just started shoving food in my face.

The biggest factor in my weight loss is understanding that I want to be here for my children. For a very long time. I want to see my kids go to college, get married, have kids. I want to see their kids go to college, get married and have their own children. I want to be there for that! But mainly my biggest fear in life (and this is one most of you will have a hard time understanding) is that I will die before my middle child. I NEED to live a very long life so that I am always around to make sure she is being taken care of.
  • mariahhatfield
    Options

I was never very athletic when I was younger. I don't drink soda, I don't like milk or coffee, and I used to despise tea. I never realized that all of the lemonades, hawaiian punches, and strawberry breezes that I drank had SO much sugar. It was literally enough for me to have had six or seven candy bars each day, especially since I always am drinking water. Also, although I have always been a decently healthy eater, my portion sizes were less than desirable. I was unknowingly eating like double or triple the serving size of every food I was eating.

So, I have learned to drink water, water flavored with lemon, and I have learned to enjoy tea. I am on my university's division one bowling team, so we have mandatory practices and workouts. I have even got to the point where I am motivated enough to go to the optional workouts! I follow portion sizes -- unless I am terribly hungry, and in that case, I listen to my body. I also have very supportive people in my life that are proud of what I'm trying to do, which makes a HUGE difference! All of you are very motivating as well! Thank you!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

My biggest factor was I love food AND there are some really good cooks in my family and they love to cook. One BIG factor is that my grandma was the "bread lady" at our school lunchroom and she would always give me TWO of those delicious rolls and my other grandma fixed the best peach cobbler (OK I am drooling now!)

The factor to lose i want to be an active in playing grandma not the active in eating grandma. AND I want to be a hot mess for Reid's grandpa!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Not blaming my grandmas - they just fixed it was my choice to eat it!!!!
  • ChatSournois
    Options

The biggest factor in my weight gain was sheer laziness. I spent money on unhealthy lunches when I could have made my own, I started to drive instead of walking everywhere, I ordered takeways at the weekend instead of buying nice ingredients and making my own treat dinners...I could go on for eternity.
    I hope the biggest factor in me losing weight will be me not losing this mind set that I have at the moment. I am looking forward to exercising now and I want to keep it up.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Overeating. I'm not a super unhealthy eater (we ate a lot of organic healthy food growing up - fast food was for a quick afterschool snack or other particular occasions and my parents really frowned on fried food and 'american' food) and I didn't grow up with juice or soda so that wasn't an issue, but I just ate too much, every day. Not only would I eat too much actual food (I still remember one day at sushi when my 260 pound guy friend and I ate the same amount! And he was an overeater too.) but I'd 'treat' myself all the time - I'd stop on the way out of the mall where we ate and buy a cookie to have in the afternoon, I'd always order the fries/chips/mashed potatoes with my meal and eat them even if I wasn't particularly hungry or they were not very good.

That was probably the first 30-40 pounds I gained -- then I was holding somewhat steady until I moved in with my boyfriend and his diet was very heavy in soda and fastfood (still is....) AT the time for me, fast food was something I had once in a while - so when we went to carls jr if i wanted a 6 dollar bacon guacamole burger, I got one. And fries. I thought "its not like I eat this stuff every day" - except we started eating it everyday, or nearly everyday. And we started having soda and juice in the house because he LOVES soda and juice and although I don't drink very much in one sitting (I can barely finish a can of soda on my own and I have to water down juice) I was adding liquid calories to my diet and not even really thinking about it. AND my family always shares meals at restaurants and never ordered drinks and so I was used to doing that but he HATES sharing (he was so spoiled as a kid) and ALWAYS ordered a drink.

So that was the next 30-40 pounds. From my adult low of 143 I went up to 215 in under 5 years. I think I am now skinnier than when I met my BF.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

The biggest factor in my weight gain was emotional issues. I have mentioned before that I have made this journey before - I lost 88 pounds, going from a size 22 to a size 6. Then, I got pregnant. I was really diligent before getting pregnant about eating around 1,200 calories. Two weeks before I found out I was preggo, I quit smoking. Then, from the moment the stick showed I was positively pregnant, I knew I was going to be raising my child alone. Then, my best friend at the time effectively cut me out of her life. I felt alone and depressed and knew I couldn't remain eating only 1,200 calories while pregnant, though I didn't know how many more to eat... To sum it up, I ate to make me feel better.

The biggest factor in my weight loss is deciding that I am tired of killing myself with food. I am an all-or-nothing kind of person, so when I was done, I was done.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successful weight loss?

My weight gain - my behavior, health problems, MAJOR negative self talk and caring too much what others thought. When I gained weight during an illness (before it was diagnosed) I got really discouraged and gave up. Instead of just having an extra 30 lbs and working on just maintaining, I gained 40 more. It's was a vicious cycle and i was my own worst enemy.

Biggest factor in losing weight is realizing I have to change my behavior from the roots up and that it's a LOT of work! I am learning to be patient with myself and celebrate the changes I've made instead of only focusing on what I'm not doing right. I have a long ways to go, but i'll eventually get to where I want to be and then the battle will be maintaining. I am looking forward to that.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options

Wow such a great question! The old me wants to say that carrying 2 children was the biggest factor in my weight gain, but no. That would be an excuse because plenty of women have had even more chidlren than I, and didn't gain 60 pounds like I did. One major factor was depression. I was in a horrible toxic relationship with their father and I thought there was no way out. That was when I started eating my emotions- all of them. Add in no working out ( I used to dance) because I was too tired and sad, and carrying 2 children and there are my 60 pounds.

The biggest factor for successfully losing the weight is doing it for the right reason. I have been single since shortly after becoming pregnant with my second child (who will be 4 in January) and I blamed it on being too fat. Nobody would want a fatass like me. So forever I have said i want to lose weight so I can meet someone and finally be happy. Now, I want to lose this weight so that I can be healthy and so my kids will be able to look up to me (until they are lookign down at me lol). Of course i want to look better, but i wzant to feel better. Wearing smaller clothes that I actually like owuld be great, but that is just a bonus when it comes to everything else. I think this time around i have the right frame of mind ( I'm not depressed anymore!!) and the right idea. Here is to successful weight loss!!!!
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    QOTD 10/5/11 Wednesday - What do you think was the biggest factor in your weight gain? What do you think is the biggest factor in your successfully weight loss?

Hello Ladies, it's late and I can barely keep my eyes open. I meant to reply to the QOTD earlier but I was side tracked.

So my biggest factor for my weight gain thus far, or since the summer has been my Ex hands down. Every time I think about him I want to eat. Yep I said it, he brings all kinds of bad feeling up..lol.:mad: No worries I’m almost over this one ladies:drinker:

The biggest success factor in my weight loss has been planning my meals and week. I got this idea from a girl on MFP and she's lost 60lbs already. It has definitely help me in my weight loss so far.