GUYS: Moving in with your girlfriend?

Options
mtkautz
mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
If you've moved in with your girlfriend.... did it make you a better boyfriend? I'm starting to re-think the plans my boyfriend and I have of moving in together after the first of the year..... As of now he's soooo used to the bachelor living, being able to do whatever whenever... getting home at 330AM in the middle of the week... And well, I have a 3 year old, which requires a bit more of a structured lifestyle, so that really isn't going to fly with me. It doesn't bother me now because I don't have to deal with it at this time...

SO my question is, is it typical to "shape up" when you move in with your girlfriend? I've never lived with a boyfriend up to this point, so all I can do is hope.... haaaa BUT I don't want to get stuck. Fear of commitment maybe?? lol...

Opinions? Advice?

Replies

• Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend tells me he is going to move in with me when I go out to visit him for Halloween. This would only be a temporary commitment, at least until June and then when I have to move out.. who knows.. but he also loves his social life..and I don't need to be the life of the party. So I have my reservations about him moving in too. I think it's best for the relationship to test the waters when you can. For me since it's only until June.. there's already a built-in out. But if we were to ever get a great job that we have to move ..would the other follow? It's questions like that I hope this test will answer. But my words of caution. You can Never change anyone.. if they want to change... they THEY are the ones who have to make the changes... I hope it works out for you.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you have a talk with him. Moving in is a big step and not something you should do with doubts. Ask him if he expects to continue his late nights out (and any other things you think you might need to discuss). You will both undoubtedly need to make some changes and adjustments, but some things are deal breakers. If you are really ready to move in, it shouldn't be difficult to have this conversation. He might surprise you and be totally on board with a more settled, domestic life with you.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've never lived with a boyfriend either, so I'm curious as well!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind you reaallllyy get to know someone when you move in with them. It's a lot different than just being with them. I've basically lived with my bf since we started dating but from past experiences with roommates it didn't workout at all. Make sure he is really ready and really knows what the situation is going to be before you're stuck with a lease :)
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    Every one is different but Man i wish i waited on that. Really wish i waited because it did not make me a better boyfriend. My fault totally hence why i should have waited.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i live with my bf and he comes home whenever he feels like it even tho he knows i hate it
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know I am not a guy but here is my opinion.... we are going over this in one of my classes in college actually and here is what the statistics say, cohabitation usually (in most cases) is worse on a relationship than getting married and living together. I am not saying go marry this guy lol just letting you know what the studies say. I can look up the exact statistic for you if you want me to but yea usually cohabitation is harder on a relationship because at any time he can decide that he does not want to live with you anymore and throw the deuces. (not saying he will) this will leave you with all of the bills. and everything which you are alrdy paying by yourself anyway but yea i am no expert just thought that it was interesting you asked about a subject we were going over in class
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but have plenty of guy friends. I'll tell you like it is: guys don't change for you, they change for themselves. You are in a tight place - you have the 3-year old to think about before the boyfriend, which makes your situation even tougher than the average couple. I would seriously reconsider bringing in someone who is used to doing their own thing on their own schedule. It doesn't mean he doesn't love or care for you, but unless he is currently shaping up on his own, it's unlikely to change. And, much as I love my husband and guy friends, they are LESS likely to change as they age, but women tend to become more flexible. Weird. Good luck with whatever you do.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    never lived with a girlfriend, only my wife but i seriously doubt it will make him "shape up" actually living with someone is probably one of the more stressful things on a relationship because you then get to see EVERYTHING about that person and yall will get on each others nerves even more.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and if he's ready for more of a family lifestyle. But it sounds like it will be a compromise. He will likely have to have more structure, and you will probably have to be open to putting up with at least a few late nights on his part. If you can, keep your rent current for the next couple months just in case it doesn't work out. You should both decide what changes you are willing to live with.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but have plenty of guy friends. I'll tell you like it is: guys don't change for you, they change for themselves. You are in a tight place - you have the 3-year old to think about before the boyfriend, which makes your situation even tougher than the average couple. I would seriously reconsider bringing in someone who is used to doing their own thing on their own schedule. It doesn't mean he doesn't love or care for you, but unless he is currently shaping up on his own, it's unlikely to change. And, much as I love my husband and guy friends, they are LESS likely to change as they age, but women tend to become more flexible. Weird. Good luck with whatever you do.

Sadly I agree. I have gotten more flexible as i have gotten older but she is right
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292
    Options
    lay it out what you think life should be like when you move it and hear him out on his expectations...worst thing is to be surprised by something that you didnt expect...talk about everything. its a commitment not just to the growth of a home but to each other.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    One question I have is how much time does he spend with your daughter? Is he used to spending several hours a day with her, or do you most often see him when she goes to bed at night. Sounds like it will be a big lifestyle change for him. Personally, I don't think you should go through with it without a long serious talk with him. What happens when he comes home drunk and wakes up your daughter because he is bouncing off walls and knocking stuff down?
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    statistics say, cohabitation usually (in most cases) is worse on a relationship than getting married and living together.

I've read similar studies. I question how in depth the study actually was and you have to look at the couples who don't move in together before marriage these days. In this economy it usually "makes sense" to move in. People with STRONG religious values don't tend to live together before marriage, or believe in divorce.

I've been living with my boyfriend for over a year. Moving in with me didn't lead to any changes. He's a man. Has to change for himself.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    It really depends on habits, like if your a neat-nick where your living room could be on the cover of a home-magazine, and he's a bit more laid back allowing weekly living to "clutter" things up, it can put quite a strain on. Each party has to be willing to bend to find something both can live with. If you're not flexible then don't do it!

I've lived with folks who were great as friends but absolute trash to live with, got 30 plates? expect 30 of them to be dirty all the time and then the roomie to only wash the one he needs for dinner that night or he may just eat dinner right out of the pot! Only fix for this that I found? I packed 24 of the plates away (they were mine to do that with anyway) leaving 6, dishes got done more often.

If he's one to keep the bedroom clean, bed made etc but you like to leave your dresser drawers open and clothes piled up here and there.... again, both need to be flexible and find ways to make it work ;)
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I know I am not a guy but here is my opinion.... we are going over this in one of my classes in college actually and here is what the statistics say, cohabitation usually (in most cases) is worse on a relationship than getting married and living together. I am not saying go marry this guy lol just letting you know what the studies say. I can look up the exact statistic for you if you want me to but yea usually cohabitation is harder on a relationship because at any time he can decide that he does not want to live with you anymore and throw the deuces. (not saying he will) this will leave you with all of the bills. and everything which you are alrdy paying by yourself anyway but yea i am no expert just thought that it was interesting you asked about a subject we were going over in class

I'd be interested in the research for this? I'm only asking because I've heard many statistics say otherwise, and hey, I like reading. :tongue:

I agree with Alexandra_Anne, though. You really don't know someone until you've lived with them. I personally couldn't marry someone I haven't lived with for at least a year or 2...my current boyfriend and I have lived together for over 2 years now, and we learned a lot about each other in that first year. I've lived with 2 other ex-boyfriends, as well...some you are compatible with, some you aren't. Your situation will be completely different, as you have a child and I do not, so I definitely say lay the cards down beforehand, because he needs to know how life will be like as a couple AND, essentially, as a step-parent. One of my ex's had a 2-year-old son, and I was never given any information about the boy. Through trial and error, I found out that he was an extremely picky eater, that he liked to throw things in the garbage (including my prescription glasses, argh!), that he didn't like to sleep alone, that he had developmental issues, etc. I definitely would have done better with more information regarding those issues, as well as tons of others that pop up. And honestly, while I usually agree that compromises can be reached....I have to say in this case, the coming home late thing...there should be none. It isn't fair that your child (and thus, you) have a high potential of losing sleep because he can't come home at a decent time. Plus children are inquisitive...what would you say if your child asked "Why does [insert name here] stay out so late every night? How come he isn't home for bedtime?" Those are just my 2 cents, as an outsider looking in on the situation. You will know best how to handle it, in the end. :flowerforyou:
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Do NOT hope. Ask him flat out. You have to be able to talk to him about this stuff before you make this big move. If he doesn't change his ways and you don't like it it'll be harder to deal with then than now. This is such a big issue for you and you have to be able to bring this stuff up otherwise you are just going to get p!ssed off when he does something you didn't make him aware of. Given, he should know not to continue the bachelor life when he moves in but going ahead and hoping it all works out is a huge gamble.

Talk talk talk!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    One question I have is how much time does he spend with your daughter? Is he used to spending several hours a day with her, or do you most often see him when she goes to bed at night. Sounds like it will be a big lifestyle change for him. Personally, I don't think you should go through with it without a long serious talk with him. What happens when he comes home drunk and wakes up your daughter because he is bouncing off walls and knocking stuff down?

^^ This, completely. There has GOT to be a long talk prior to him moving in. Boundaries, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Before you move in set up the structure. If there's any hesitation, don't move in together.