How do you know when your small enough??

Options
I know a lot of you are going to say that its not about losing weight and all about being healthy. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who as well as that wants to be slim! As much as I want it all to be about health there is a part of me that just wants to be small. The problem is when I look in the mirror I still see the old me and even though I've now reached the high end of my bmi I still feel like I have a long way to go! My goal is to be middle of the range of healthy but how do I know I won't still feel this way when I get there and where will it stop? Or do I just have to face that I will forever think of myself as "fat"?

So my question is how do you know when you will know you've lost enough?

Replies

• CindiBryce
    Options
    When I'm satisfied with the way I look, but within a healthy range. And different things have to be taken account to be considered "healthy", not only BMI. For example, your body frame, race (Asians are at more risk than Caucasians at a lower weight), and body fat percentage.
  • Karen_145
    Options
    Your doctor can probably tell you when you've reached a healthy weight. As for perception, that's all in your head. Each of us has a different view of what skinny would be for us. Just don't develop an eating disorder over your appearance. ;)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've seen some significant changes with 66lbs lost - what about spending a few weeks maintaining and adapting to your new body before making another effort to lose?
  • ahendrix12
    Options
    You know you're small enough when what you picture yourself to be like in your mind, you actually see in the mirror. You'll know when you need to stop losing weight because you look good to you. Thats all that matters. I think I'll be small enough at my goal weight of 130. But I honestly won't know until I get there. Good luck to you. :]
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    You know you're small enough when what you picture yourself to be like in your mind, you actually see in the mirror. You'll know when you need to stop losing weight because you look good to you. Thats all that matters. I think I'll be small enough at my goal weight of 130. But I honestly won't know until I get there. Good luck to you. :]
    Health matters as well. It is not ONLY based on your satisfaction with your looks.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you vanish, you've gone too far.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I disagree that it's about how you feel - your mind is not necessarily reliable as the many cases of eating disorders show. You can 'feel fat' and even genuinely think you look fat at an unhealthily low weight.

I'd ask 'small enough' for what? To feel good/ happy/ attractive/ better self-esteem etc? That's more a psychological issue than a physical one.

I agree with the person who suggested you maintain your current weight for a while (at least a month or two) and work on readjusting your self-perception. People say looking at photos help. Also, tangible things like clothes being too loose etc.

This is as much an emotional journey as a physical one. Take time to celebrate your wonderful progress and celebrate the new you! You've done a brilliant job - there may be further to go, but do take time to enjoy your achievements.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    First of all you have to know your exact body type. Being in high normal BMI range is good for people with large frame but otherwise its still a bit overweight. Second, determine what is your body fat%. The second one is far more important than the first one since BMI is not applicable to people who are very fit or muscular. If you find yourself having a body fat% higher than 25 (or 18 for males) then you have to work on losing fat.

I'm on the muscular side & gain muscles easily. My BMI currently is 21 which is in the middle normal range but my body fat% is playing at 21-24% which is considered normal for a female however I still have some belly fat & a little cellulite on my thighs which is why I still want to lose some fat.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's a really good question - I'm still a few kg above the high weight for healthy BMI for my height but I think I'm at a pretty healthy and realistic size now. The things that make me think this are:
    - My husband started to question how much more I was going to lose a few kilos ago.
    - I exceeded my expectations of fitting into Aussie size 12 pants when I bought a size 10 last week (US size 6 I think).
    - I can feel my collarbones (who knew they were even still there?) and my wrists seem bony.
    - Yesterday I put on a summer dress that I had altered last time I lost weight (I felt pretty good at that weight 2 1/2 years ago) and it absolutely hung on me.
    - I caught sight of myself side on in a shop window and didn't think it was me, it seemed too small.

So, although I don't know if I'm small enough I've decided that it is time to concentrate on maintaining.
    I'm actually pretty scared about getting big again, so that needs to be my new focus.

I've chosen a weight (70kg - still overweight BMI) and my new goal is to stay on or around that weight for the next few months. I'm a little bit above it now and I really want to see a nice round number on the scales.
    And to be honest I would love to record a number starting with a 6 (not a 7, 8 or 9!) but 68 or 69 would do me just fine (also still overweight BMI).

It also helps that I've set fitness goals along the way, rather than just weight goals - I think running has really made me leaner, although I don't weigh many kgs less that I did a few years ago, I'm 2 whole pants sizes smaller than my previous low weight.

Sorry, for the long ramble - my best suggestion is to pick a number and set yourself the goal to stay within a few pounds of that weight for the next few (6 maybe?) months. At the end of that time you might be in a better place to decide if you want to lose just a little bit more.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This is such a tough question and I don't think there is an easy answer. I have been in exactly your situation - I had gone from being 105kg to 60kg (BMI 22-ish for me, just under 100lbs lost) and was an absolute gym junkie (I'm talking 4-8hrs gym, all intense classes, each day) and I still felt that I was fat and also was still trying to lose 10kg. My body fat percentage tested at 5% which is far too low for a woman and when I look back on the photos now, I can see that I was actually a bit too thin. I was 'maintaining' at this weight for about 5 years, even though I was trying to lose more weight, and I still always thought I was fat.... so unfortunately, not sure I can help you but I do know how you feel and I do genuinely believe that we are not the best judges of such things for ourselves.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    My body fat percentage tested at 5% which is far too low for a woman and when I look back on the photos now, I can see that I was actually a bit too thin.

I think that test is very much wrong & misleading. Your body fat% is definitely higher than 5%. Its too impossible for us to have that low. Even female bodybuilders have a body fat% of around 8-11%. 5% is way too dangerous even for men!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My body fat percentage tested at 5% which is far too low for a woman and when I look back on the photos now, I can see that I was actually a bit too thin.

I think that test is very much wrong & misleading. Your body fat% is definitely higher than 5%. Its too impossible for us to have that low. Even female bodybuilders have a body fat% of around 8-11%. 5% is way too dangerous even for men!

It may have been slightly off as it was done (by trained professionals) by skinfold testing. I was spending around 8 hours at the gym most days though, I didn't really have any external body fat. My point was that it was too dangerous.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping I'll be able to stop at around 9 and half stone as thats what I used to be at my healthiest and is dead in the middle of the healthy weight for my height (8 and half to 10 and half a stone.. I'm 5 ft 3 and half... wish I knew where to find fractions on this mac... lol!)

I'm currently 11 and half.... (those damn halves again!) and have just lost my first stone.. tape measurements show I have lost some several inches off tummy and waist but looking at my tummy its still flabby and I still look fat! (naked).... though its easier to hide in jeans with a tummy clincher now! .. so I'm trying to view that as 'progress'!

Now I've worked out where I was going wrong diet wise and starting to lose larger amounts a week, I'm anxious not to end up 'skinny fat' and I'm doing more exercise to try and build muscle behind the flab so when it comes off it will hopefully leave behind a fairly flat tummy (not too bothered about a 6 pack as long as it looks flat..ish!)

I'm trying to remind myself my journey is about my health.. I started losing weight to relieve back pain as I'm wheelchair user I'm sat most of the day and its very uncomfortable with all weight around abdomen and lower back... I also wanted to be lighter for when people needed to lift me (alone or with manual chair.. ie up steps).

My travel chair sits me in a L shape and cos cushion is wedged to lift knees my trunk/top of legs are kind of in a V shape which is really uncomfortable to sit in that position for any length of time when your tummy is squashed between your trunk and your thighs! The chair was starting to look too small for me and I can't afford to swap it as its only used when people take me out in their cars cos its folds down really small for saloon car boots (had it custom built for brothers wedding in 2008 cost £2,500!)

so when I look better in that chair I'll know I'm right size as I did fit it originally!! .. though I was about 10 stone on wedding photo i think (I'll add photo to my page later today)
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I disagree that it's about how you feel - your mind is not necessarily reliable as the many cases of eating disorders show. You can 'feel fat' and even genuinely think you look fat at an unhealthily low weight.

I'd ask 'small enough' for what? To feel good/ happy/ attractive/ better self-esteem etc? That's more a psychological issue than a physical one.

I agree with the person who suggested you maintain your current weight for a while (at least a month or two) and work on readjusting your self-perception. People say looking at photos help. Also, tangible things like clothes being too loose etc.

This is as much an emotional journey as a physical one. Take time to celebrate your wonderful progress and celebrate the new you! You've done a brilliant job - there may be further to go, but do take time to enjoy your achievements.

I read this and thought, one of the best things I've read on MFP for a while. Then I noticed that you had written it EleanorJane. You are sooo right, and I'm so glad to have you as a friend. I'm just beginning to realize why my Real Life friends have told me to stop losing weight. It's not jealousy. It really is that they are concerned, because I've not really been aware of how much smaller I am. Apart from a couple of really petite girls I know, I am now one of the thinnest of my friends. If I hadn't stopped to realize that I couldn't trust my eyes (because all I could see was me fat, fat, fat), I might have done real harm to my health.

So, I'd recommend maintaining for a few weeks as well until you can really see yourself as you are (not how you used to be).