not losing weight due to exercise?

Options
Hi all,
I have been exercising and calorie counting but my weight has stopped and on the scales I’ve gained 2 lbs is that because I’m gaining muscle? Should I stop exercising to get to my goal weight on scales then start again once target reached?

Thanks

Replies

• Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to see the answers. I increased my exercise over the weekend by adding the 30ds to my normal activities and I gained a pound right away. I persevered and had a day off the 30ds yesterday and I have lost that pound this morning. I guess if you are going to keep up with the extra exercise you have hit goal then I would persevere with it becuase it is likely to be water retention around your muscles or muscle building and will level out if you carry on with a good eating plan, If you are only exercising to lose weight then I guess it might be easier to cut back until you hit your target. How much have you still got to lose? I am only 7 pounds off my goal so I am persevering with the extra exercise as when I go to maintain I want to be doing about an hour of exercise 6 days a week so I keep the weight off. I would welcome other peoples views on this though as I am no expert.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I know that not seeing the scale move is intensely frustrating. But what's more important in the end? Seeing a certain number on the scale or having a toned and healthy body?

How long have you been stuck? Are you logging everything you eat? What type of exercise do you do?
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    And another bump
  • vgdw
    vgdw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    iv been stuck about 2 weeks, i do about 1 hour of either walking or running or uphill walking/running on a treadmill everday if not at least 6 times a week, ive only been over on my 1400 food intake twice in these 2 weeks and even then not over 2000.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    It is expected that when you start a new exercise regimen that your muscles are stressed. This causes your muscles to retain fluid to protect them while they repair and regenerate. What you see on the scale is this extra fluid being retained. So don't worry, keep drinking your water and eating healthily, and you'll soon see that loss you're looking for!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It is expected that when you start a new exercise regimen that your muscles are stressed. This causes your muscles to retain fluid to protect them while they repair and regenerate. What you see on the scale is this extra fluid being retained. So don't worry, keep drinking your water and eating healthily, and you'll soon see that loss you're looking for!

I like this response. I'm going to keep telling myself this!
  • vgdw
    vgdw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you for this i will keep this in mind
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    iv been stuck about 2 weeks, i do about 1 hour of either walking or running or uphill walking/running on a treadmill everday if not at least 6 times a week, ive only been over on my 1400 food intake twice in these 2 weeks and even then not over 2000.

you should try mixing up your exercise routine as your body is probably used to the exercise you do. maybe try swimming or playign squash or something and definitely add strength training to your routine.

you should also have 1 days rest every week for your muscles to repair themselves. and try eating back your exercise calories as 1400 when u are working out an hour a day might not be enough.
  • LouPeters
    Options
    maybe try different exercises each day? It shocks the body as it isnt used to it and sometimes that can be enough to move the scales. Good Luck!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The gain is unlikely due to muscle gain unless you are shifting quite heavy weights

Whilst you may gain some muscle your fat loss would offset some of that "weight" so it is more likely a plateau. What exercise do you do and how long have you been doing it for?

Variety is good but rememebr to stick to a core program or you will not see results. Also as others have said make sure you are eating enough. The longer you diet the more you have to ensure that you eat back the majority of your exercise calories