Cooking lowcal/lowfat Thanksgiving dinner

Options
It's going to be be hubby, my daugther, MIL and FIL for Thanksgiving (and Christmas as well). Hubby, daughter and me will eat lowcal/lowfat, MIL and FIL aren't watching calories or fat but they eat like birds!

I'm determined to cook both feasts from scratch AND keep cals/fat to a minimum. Has anyone done this before? :noway:

I don't want to substitue the turkey for a pile of tofu shaped like a bird and I also don't want to do without gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed taters and pumpkin pie. I know Thanksgiving is likely to shoot me over my daily calorie allowance but that's alright. It's only one day in November and I'm absolutely positive that I will make up for it during the week leading up to Turkey Day, saving a few cals here and there and adding an extra exercise so that my weekly calorie intake isn't going to sky rocket. I truly believe it can be done without having to sacrifice good food and without adding 10 pounds to the scale.:drinker:

If you have recipes or any other tips/tricks/advice etc., please post here:

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :D Great post!
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JWoodyard07
    JWoodyard07 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would say for the cranberry sauce, cooking it homemade and watching how much sugar you use should be ok. As for the turkey, eat the breast with out the skin. Adding chicken broth to the mashed potatoes instead of milk will add flavor, less fat, and make them fluffy. Either way, as long as you just watch portion size, you should be ok. Oh and for pumpkin pie, using whole wheat flour to make the crust and making the filling with real pumpkin might help. Sometimes when I want low cal ideas, I just google what I am looking for:) Good luck! I am sure that one day will not spoil your hard work and your family will enjoy it!
  • Courage2Change
    Options
    I tried tofurkey (turkey flavored tofu shaped over stuffing and baked) one year when it was just my fiance...NOT the same, lol!!

Honestly, I think you are doing the right thing by making it from scratch. You might be able to save a couple of calories in the gravy and potatoes, and sugar in the cranberry sauce...try looking variations up on a site like allrecipies.com with high ratings. Other than substituting the foods for other options (which you've already stated you won't do), I think you'll just have to enjoy your meal and workout like mad the day before/of/after! We are allowed to cheat once in a while!

Happy turkey day!

(Jwoodyard07 just posted too...I 2nd what she said!)
  • pinkakira1
    pinkakira1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I know this recipe won't appeal to everyone, especially when there are a lot of fresh veggie recipes out there, but this is one of my family's favorites. I got it from a calendar, many years ago. It isn't particularly low cal, but it isn't too bad, especially if you leave out the bacon or only use a little bit.

Broccoli Corn Bake

I package frozen chopped broccoli
    1 can cream style corn
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tbsp onion, grated
    ¾ c. cracker crumbs
    2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
    Thaw broccoli. Combine in bowl with corn, egg, onion, and cracker crumbs. Pour into medium casserole dish. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with bacon.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I know this recipe won't appeal to everyone, especially when there are a lot of fresh veggie recipes out there, but this is one of my family's favorites. I got it from a calendar, many years ago. It isn't particularly low cal, but it isn't too bad, especially if you leave out the bacon or only use a little bit.

Broccoli Corn Bake

I package frozen chopped broccoli
    1 can cream style corn
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tbsp onion, grated
    ¾ c. cracker crumbs
    2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
    Thaw broccoli. Combine in bowl with corn, egg, onion, and cracker crumbs. Pour into medium casserole dish. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with bacon.

this sounds good.. I think I might make it for dinner one weekend. thanks