Need help getting over my plateau.

Options
Mjolner
Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
After originally loosing 70 lbs by diet change and exercise over a little more than a year, I reached a plateau. For the last 9 months I have struggled to loose any more weight. I am working within my net calorie goal (marginally above my BMR). I workout religiously with both cardio and strength exersices. Yet I have been unable to loose any more weight in this time frame.

I am on a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet with the primary protein source of fish. Mostly raw greens, smoked salmon or tuna, but occasionally lean beef or turkey.

My cardio is an average of 50 minutes 4-5 days a week (850-950 calories), strength 60-90 minutes 4-5 times a week in upper body. Including a strong abdominal and lower back session every workout,

I continue to get better toned, but weight should be falling off in droves, though it isn't.

I need to do something to shake up the routine and spark additional weightloss. Any ideas on what I could do to kick start weightloss again?

Replies

• kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calorie intake...from what I read on these forums, that can help shake off a plateau. Good luck and good job sticking it out!
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am actually right with you. I have increased my calories and changed my work outs. My old diet was too restrictive--I actually wasn't taking in enough. That said, I'm still at a plateau, and I have a good 20+lbs to go. Let me know what works for you, and I will do the same.
  • lkwilkey
    Options
    Iam with both of you I feel stuck in a rut the scale is not moving. but my clothes are looser and falling off of me so I know Im moving it some how.. But I eat extreme Low carb meat eggs salad cheese peanut butter with daily exercise and my weight just stays the same that scale doesnt budge I sware its broke. its very frustrating... but tonite I did eat more calories just to see so Ill let you know too Ill do anything to get it moving on the scale moving again :(
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    After originally loosing 70 lbs by diet change and exercise over a little more than a year, I reached a plateau. For the last 9 months I have struggled to loose any more weight. I am working within my net calorie goal (marginally above my BMR). I workout religiously with both cardio and strength exersices. Yet I have been unable to loose any more weight in this time frame.

I am on a low carb, low sugar, high protein diet with the primary protein source of fish. Mostly raw greens, smoked salmon or tuna, but occasionally lean beef or turkey.

My cardio is an average of 50 minutes 4-5 days a week (850-950 calories), strength 60-90 minutes 4-5 times a week in upper body. Including a strong abdominal and lower back session every workout,

I continue to get better toned, but weight should be falling off in droves, though it isn't.

I need to do something to shake up the routine and spark additional weightloss. Any ideas on what I could do to kick start weightloss again?

try interval training instead of your usual 50 minutes straight of cardio!

here's an article. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/01/27/kick-your-*kitten*-and-kickstart-your-metabolism-in-20-minutes/
  • lkwilkey
    Options
    I can tell you last night I added calories and The scale did move oh yes it did in the wrong direction errrrr wont do that again its against my diet anyways sticking to my lowcarb extreme no matter what now I dont care.....but I just started C25k so hopefully Ill burn off and start losing from running.
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    engineman312,

I'll switch my cardio to interval training for a while. I currently do interval on the elliptical, but not in the form suggested, and I never go full-out so I'll have energy for the entire set, and I never rest I just slow to about 70% effort.
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem for the last coupleof months. I also eat low carb. Did basically a no carb week last week and lost 2 (only logged as one down since I had to make up for the one I gained the week before). Also switched up my workouts a little. Good luck!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Id try zigzagging if I were you. I have zigzagged through my whole diet so far, and I feel like it really helps. I go from whatever the base calorie is for 2 days, 3 days of 400 calories less, and repeat. This seems to help me, though some people have different results. Also try changing up what you are doing for your workout. A new workout will also work your muscles in new ways, and might yeild better results