How do you fit in exercise?

Options
I am having trouble fitting in exercise. I leave home at 6:30 am, and come home between 6:30-7 pm, then walk the dog, have dinner, clean up, pack lunch and THEN have my downtime (by then I am exhausted). Any ideas on how I can work in some exercise? My lunch at work is only half an hour, so by the time I heat my lunch up (microwave is on the other side of the building), get back to my desk and eat it, I only have about 10 minutes left. I would love to work out, but can't seem to get the time to do it.

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue. Exactly the same
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I know what you mean. Weekends are all laundry and housework and I hate getting up in the morning. I cycle to work about 3 times a week. If that's no good, maybe you can work up to running the dog.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    if there is no time for the gym, I do home exercises while I catch up on my DVR'd shows once the hubs goes to sleep.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Try running with the dog.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could turn your walk with your dog into your workout...Maybe a little jogging, power walking, ride a bike, roller blading, etc... Or if you feel up to it getting up earlier and working out before work?!.. I get up at 5am and fit in a short workout before work and then a longer one at night.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble fitting in exercise. I leave home at 6:30 am, and come home between 6:30-7 pm, then walk the dog, have dinner, clean up, pack lunch and THEN have my downtime (by then I am exhausted). Any ideas on how I can work in some exercise? My lunch at work is only half an hour, so by the time I heat my lunch up (microwave is on the other side of the building), get back to my desk and eat it, I only have about 10 minutes left. I would love to work out, but can't seem to get the time to do it.

That's a tough schedule and no mistake. I'm not going to try and tell you to make time because I probably would not on that schedule either.

I would just say try and move as much as you can whenever you can. Time stood at work all helps, walking stairs any time you can, fast paced walking the dog... etc.. Trying to get some actual exercise time in on days off while moving as much as possible during the working days is probably your best option.
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    my day is about the same as yours. I decided that exercise was more important to me than laying in bed so I now get up at 4 am and work out.
    at first it was a tad rough to do, but now I'm used to it, my body's used to it and I feel great!!
    Remember our Lord has blessed us all with 86,400 seconds to the day, no one get more or less, but He leaves it up to us as to how we will use it.

Have an amazing day!!
  • ReneeClaireR
    ReneeClaireR Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my husband's schedule too and the only time he fits it in is by waking up at 4:30 to workout. If he waits till he gets home he is too tired and rather spend time with our kids and convinces himself not to do it. He was exhausted waking up this early to workout for the first 2 weeks but i think his body got used to it because he does it every morning and seems to even have more energy all day long.

You just have to make it a non-negotiable deal. If it's up for debate whether you will workout or not...must likely you'll choose not to because of being so tired.

Good luck!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    You need to psych yourself up during the day for exercise after you're settled for the evening, or get up earlier in the morning. Find ways to incorporate exercise throughout the day.

I get up at 4:30, and I leave for work at 5:15am. I walk 1 mile to a further metro station to get a little more exercise in. I work all day, then I go straight from work to grad school. I get home at 9pm on a good day, and then go to the gym. After gym is dinner, getting ready for the next day, and showering before bed. It's tough, but it's doable. Just tell yourself the plan throughout the day. It gets easier as you go and get into a routine!
  • tsbrown09
    Options
    Maybe you could get up earlier. I have a friend that is seeing a personal trainer and she has been getting up at 4:30am to go exercise.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I know you'll probably hate reading this BUT, get up earlier. Getting a workout done early in the morning will give you energy though out the rest of the day. I'm up at 4:45 to get my workout in. I use to be tired around 2pm but no longer it really helps getting the workout in early. Good luck!!
  • Missmaggieann
    Missmaggieann Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use my elliptical while watching TV. Walking the dog counts, can you extend the time you walk or jog when you do? You can try small things like walking the stairs or parking at the far end of the parking lot. I work 12hr days so I know it can be hard, I go to an aerobics class after work that happens to be at a perfect time so I don't go home first.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you're allowed ten minutes breaks during your workday, you could walk. Either in the halls or outside. Put some kicking music on that you love and go fast for a few. Even those little steps add up!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work at 7am. I have workouts with my trainer at 5am, 2 days a week. I only get 30 minutes for lunch also, and I have been known to shut my office door and do planks during my lunch hour :blushing: Most nights, I am here until at least 6pm, sometimes as late as 9pm. My gym is open 24/7. My daughter, who is a college student just up the road from where I work, and I will go sometimes at 10pm to swim laps and do the machines. Since it's just me and the hubby at home, I typically cook a lot of our meals for the week on Sunday, and just pop them in the oven to warm up when I get home.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm travelling for 8-9hrs in a day I'll get up at 5am and do weights.

I find it more gratifying and rewarding to stick with my routine then be lazy and find ways to skip it.

Otherwise I'd skip it every day.

Then I'd be fat again.

Then you'd be talking to a fat, lazy me on here...and my advice would suck.

But that isn't the case.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I ride my exercise bike while watching tv with the kids. I do wii sports with the kids. Sometimes the dishes wait until morning!
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you get breaks? For example I get 2 15 min breaks, I walk a path in the office on cold days and outside on nicer days. With those 2 breaks I get in 30 mins of working out. The other thing I would say is my day is just about as packed as yours and even tho I am wiped at the 'end' of the day I still pull myself up off the couch and do 20 to 30 mins of stepping or a workout dvd. If you are a morning person I would suggest getting up sooner like someone else mentioned.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:00 to exercise before I start my day (for about 50 minutes). Then I try to make time at night, but during the week that can be difficult. I try to work out at least twice a day on the weekends and do something like walking, swimming, hiking, etc.

Oh and I leave the house at 6:45 and at least 3 days a week don't get home until 7:45.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Well firstly to say...you are getting in exersice by walking the dog! walking is one of the best exersices for ya! and couldn't you just walk him a little longer? i'm sure doggie wouldn't mind!! lol :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you commute based on how long you're away, so try getting in most of your food during your drive time. Then snack before and after your lunch hour so you won't be too hungry and use your lunch hour for a quick workout. It's a tough schedule, but depending on how bad you want to this, you'll invariably find a way.