Best soup recipes

Options
Hello, with the weather finally turning cooler I am planning on getting back into soup in a big way. I'm a bit bored of my usuals so would love to hear your best soup recipes. Low calorie or not.
Currently I do:

Spicy lentil soup
Leek and potato
Carrot and courgette
Chunky vegetable

Replies

• PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I make a mean veggie soup (it's basically the weight watchers soup) - man i love that stuff. I also make a spicy southwestern bean that's delightful.

I love soup.

Have you looked at all the soup recipes on allrecipes.com. I totally use that to peruse for new soups to try
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    http://favouriteveganrecipes.blogspot.com/

My blog : ) There is a soup recipe on there. xxx
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Minestrone (although it's more of a summer soup)
    Butternut squash bisque (just butternut squash and cream cheese)
    Coconut carrot (carrot, coconut milk and cilantro)
    Ash-e-jow (barley, tomatoe, carrots http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ash-e-jow-iranianpersian-barley-soup/detail.aspx)
    African peanut soup (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/african-peanut-soup/detail.aspx)

A few of my favorites!
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    My favorites are

Carrot & Orange or Carrot & Corriander

Broccoli & Stilton

Chicken & Mushroom

The broccoli & stilton is my absoloute fav infact ive got some cooking as we speak
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have homemade soup most days for lunch. This is my fav:

Roasted Red Pepper Soup (makes about 4 portions. approx 130 cals per serving)

4 large juicy red peppers
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 red onion
    1tsp Sundried tomato paste (i use waitrose one but if you cant get sundried normal will do)
    1tsp Canderel/splenda or similar
    3 Oxo veg stock cubes (or similar)
    Garlic clove
    Garlic infused olive oil
    salt and pepper

First heat oven to about 200 c
    Halve and core red peppers and place skin up on a oiled tray. Spray with olive oil on the skin. Leave in oven for about 30 mins until skin is bubbling and slightly browning. Remove from oven and place in a sealable bag for about another half an hour. Then take out of the bag and the skin should just peel off easily. Remove the burnt bits and roughly chop the peppers.

Fry onions in garlic infused olive oil (I use the empty olive oil spray bottles to fill with the garlic infused oil so that I don't use very much). Cook slowly so as not to burn the onion. Add garlic and then peppers. Fry for another few minutes and then add the tomato paste and teaspoon of "sugar" (You may need more if the paste is a little bitter). Then add the tin of chopped tomatoes and around 6 cups of boiling water. Add the 3 stock cubes and season. I know some people don't season but coming from a family of chefs I still season well as I have very little sodium elsewhere in my diet to worry about.
    The soup should simmer for about 30-40 mins until it has reduced and is looking like it's thickened a bit. Then blend and enjoy!!!
    It's mine and my husband's favourite!!
  • lolollama
    Options
    I loooovveee soup! Unfortunately it is getting hotter here so I am having more salad than soup :(

I make a huge batch of it at the start of the week and eat it every night :D

I have pumpkin or broccoli soup usually.

They are really simple recipes but they taste so good. I don't really have the quantities because I just throw whatever I have into a pot and go from there..

Chicken stock cubes
    Leek
    Onion
    Pumpkin or broccoli
    PHILADELPHIA Light Cream for Cooking (60% less fat - tastes just like cream when used in soups!)
    Salt & pepper
    Light sour cream

I like to just throw things in the pot and experiment!
  • eveydunton
    eveydunton Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ruthiesw
    Options
    I make a mexican inspired soup that's probably not too disimilar from the spicy lentil soup you do. It has peppers, lime juice and coriander in as well though and I serve it with a dollop of sour cream or greek yoghurt.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    This version of vegetable beef soup is delicious, when I made it this weekend instead of water I used 6 cups of beef stock. It was enough for 3 meals for us with bread and salad.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump

The weather is cooler, need to break out the slow cooker. I like the idea of slow cooking a soup on the weekend and preparing meals ahead of time.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Ooops I forgot to include the link in my first post: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Autumn-Soup
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I made a great soup this weekend that I jokingly refer to as "Old Mother Hubbard" soup......basically taking some random stuff from the cupboards and putting it in the crockpot. This particular version included:

two large pieces of chicken (thigh & leg quarter) frozen
    6 quartered small red potatoes
    a couple of cups of an Asian frozen veggie mix
    two cans of white bean chicken chili
    two cans of Progresso chicken noodle soup
    4 garlic cloves
    1 stick of cinnamon
    ground cinnamon
    couple tablespoons of dried basil
    salt & pepper

Put in the crock-pot on low for 9 hours. For one meal, I removed one of the chicken quarters and had that by itself. (It was FALLING off the bone, it was so good). I switched the crockpot over to warm setting and a few hours later, I had soup.

I put the chicken in there instead of boullion, but it's not meant to become part of the soup - it's just a way to cook two meals at once. And yes, cinnamon does seem like an odd ingredient, but it goes very nicely with the white beans in the chili. VERY flavorful! I'll be having more for lunch today.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    1. Throw in a bunch of stuff like onion peels, a head of garlic, celery ends, apples, etc., saved in the fridge. Add water to make stock.
    2. Strain stock. Add a bunch of stuff lying around.
    3. Cook until ready.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not much help to you as I make more or less the same veg mixture soup all winter and take it to work with me every day... the contents are usually just whatever's in and needs using! I end up making big batches and freezing weekly portions, because I'm really really lazy...

I try and make sure there's always squash and kidney beans in it though - the squash keeps the texture really smooth and the beans add lovely little purple specks of protein in it too.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you, lovely folks!