C25K newbie question

Options
My C25K question: I do not own a smart phone so I cannot use the application for starting & stopping. Without a smart phone, what is the best way monitor the start & stop times? I've been using my stopwatch and looking at it when I think I'm getting close to the time to jog/run or walk.

Any helps welcome.

Replies

• MochaBlues
    MochaBlues Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Are you primarily running outdoors, I take it? (and not on a treadmill)?

Do you own an IPOD? There are Podcasts which have the C25K running program with music downloaded on them that give cues as well, if that is an option for you....
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I second the podcast suggestion. I use the NHS one and I love it.
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    Thanks for responses. :-)
  • jbix1958
    jbix1958 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Podcast on my iPod is the way I've done it. There are several out there. Just Google "podcast C25K".
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I just used my watch too, no fancy gadgets here either.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a blackberry but didn't want to mess with the app business and carrying around my phone. I went to Academy and bought a $5 wristwatch/stopwatch and would do the same, just watch my time. I do run on our school's track, and before long, you begin to see about where you should be so that it doesn't take as much 'watching' as before. I also wear a Heart Rate Monitor so I looked a bit silly for awhile with my stopwatch on my right arm, my hrm watch on my left, and my mp3 strapped to my left bicept BUT, you'll start doing the long runs in a few weeks and you won't need to watch the time as closely. No matter what - just keep going! I ran my first 5K last weekend and it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done for myself. I'm already signed up for 3 more! GOOD LUCK!
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would set your stopwatch as a timer (if it has that function). Let it beep every min...then you know how many beeps to listen for before you can walk, run, etc.
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
  • deex18
    deex18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i use the ullrey podasts from the c25km website.... he tells me when to start and stop and there is music in the bakground s wel.... i ran one day without my ipod and ouldnt complete it without it.... its a great help
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    I have a blackberry but didn't want to mess with the app business and carrying around my phone. I went to Academy and bought a $5 wristwatch/stopwatch and would do the same, just watch my time. I do run on our school's track, and before long, you begin to see about where you should be so that it doesn't take as much 'watching' as before. I also wear a Heart Rate Monitor so I looked a bit silly for awhile with my stopwatch on my right arm, my hrm watch on my left, and my mp3 strapped to my left bicept BUT, you'll start doing the long runs in a few weeks and you won't need to watch the time as closely. No matter what - just keep going! I ran my first 5K last weekend and it was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done for myself. I'm already signed up for 3 more! GOOD LUCK!

made me giggle... thanks for sharing your story :-)
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good thing no one knew I had the hrm strap under my sports bra, too, or they really would have thought I was a dweeb! :tongue:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    download the mP3 files and put them on an inexpensive mP3 player! I have both C25K and 5K101 on a cheap ($15) mP3 player and I picked up inexpensive ($5) headphones that kinda clamp around my ear (not as bad as it sounds) so I don't have to worry about them falling out/off!

Panasonic RP-HS11 Water-Resistant Lightweight Sport-Clip Headphones with Washable Pads (Blue)
  • fitnhealthyccthatsme
    Options
    download the mP3 files and put them on an inexpensive mP3 player! I have both C25K and 5K101 on a cheap ($15) mP3 player and I picked up inexpensive ($5) headphones that kinda clamp around my ear (not as bad as it sounds) so I don't have to worry about them falling out/off!

Panasonic RP-HS11 Water-Resistant Lightweight Sport-Clip Headphones with Washable Pads (Blue)

Thanks for the tips!